DuckDuckGo Discussion

This wouldn’t bother me much, if I really needed to engage with CS via email I could just change the email on account first to the one I’d use or go through whatever verification exists (which will exist because lots of people reply to things using different email addresses, eg their work address).

This would probably only be relevant about once a year to me, so not a huge hassle.

1 Like

Oh it’s not a hassle; like I said when it’s happened it’s always been a case of “what was the previous email and confirm your name” or something to that extent. It likely was more just to pull up system records, rather than outright refuse to engage on a different email address.

2 Likes

Depending on the company, it can be a hassle. ASDA flat-out refused to talk to me after I emailed them from the wrong email address, even after I re-sent the email from the right email address.

2 Likes

Funny enough I had one recently from Starling when I replied via an email I didn’t mean to:

3 Likes

I got a Duck address about a week ago.

After installing the browser extension is really quick and easy to create private addresses as and when needed.

I’m using mine with Gmail and it’s nice not to have to have out my actually address most of the time.

2 Likes

For those with iCloud, it’s worth mentioning that iCloud’s hide my email service is now live in beta for all via beta.icloud.com

2 Likes

And, if you install the public beta, it’s also already live as an integrated OS service.

(Just worth adding, as we seem to be near to release now so it’s fairly stable.)

2 Likes

I’m very late replying but Bulb for instance won’t talk to you unless you email them from the email on the account. As I use the Gmail feature adding a +provider after my email for each company, I simply can’t get in touch with Bulb via email

3 Likes

I think that’s appalling frankly! Not least of all because companies should, at the very least, be able to identify that you’re making use of that gmail feature!

Can’t say it’s an issue I ever ran into with Bulb though, though any email communication would always begin with me replying to an email they had sent to me, and I guess they just didn’t bother to check the email the reply came from.

Email spoofing is far too common, and far too easy to pull off, that companies really shouldn’t rely on this stuff. All it takes is a data breach. And if I used my personal email for everything, fraudsters would be able to acquire enough information about me to not only spoof my email, but impersonate me and use other aspects of my identity to get through authentication too.

1 Like

I’m with you there!

Ironically, an actual crook impersonating you via email using address spoofing is relatively easy, so this email policy solves nothing; yet for a genuine customer to be caught by it is fairly likely. It’s really a case of security theatre!

1 Like

Indeed, I’ve been known to prove the point by emailing a friend from themselves Infront of them. They’re always amazed I didn’t need their password to do it. Somewhat harder these days with SPF and DKIM.

2 Likes

In gmail, you can easily add the new email address (user+word@gmail.com) under settings / add another email address to enable sending from it.

2 Likes

You can. But it’s not the same level of privacy as these addresses are completely unique and unlinked from your real address.

2 Likes

How is people knowing your email address “not private”?

Only takes one person to have their email account compromised and that’s their address book leaked, and you end up on spam lists through no fault of your own.

Or you sign up to company A and your details including email are in their database. They get hacked and the hackers use the information to try and compromise the email accounts of customers.

3 Likes

As DuckDuckGo seem to be branching out their products and services to better compete with/against the likes of Google, we could probably do with a general DuckDuckGo discussion thread, so rather than create a new one, I thought I’d hijack this thread and pivot it into that discussion.

DuckDuckGo is releasing a new tools for Android designed to bring android users similar (possibly greater) privacy protections that Apple recently afforded their users. I think this is great.

It seems to work by running all network data through a local on device VPN service. It’s possible this could break some apps that don’t like when users do this. This approach would also work in theory on iOS as well. Which would be a nice and more private on-device alternative to the myriad of VPN/DNS firewall apps that have popped up in recent years.

3 Likes

Haven’t looked into the details yet but it sounds like it works similarly to 1Blocker’s firewall for in-app tracking: 1Blocker 4.0 Adds In-App Tracker Blocking with Its New Firewall Feature - MacStories

Def support the thread pivot to DDG :ok_hand:

1 Like

There’s probably a better place for this but,…

Cloudflare is currently onboarding the waitlist for this.

1 Like