Dress Code Discrimination?

I’ve had issues like this in the past, turned up to work in a pair of shorts only to get grief. I just politely explained that due to the soaring temperature outside it was in the interests of my health to ensure that I remained as cool as possible as If I fainted due to the heat they would have had a significantly bigger issue to deal with than whether my legs were out or not!

1 Like

You know what Mark… I’d challenge these “managers” of yours… Surely the fact that there is a charge of £1.00 to wear your own clothes makes any dress code completely invalid?

I really don’t understand why some people that are meant to be human beings behave in such a manner…

Have you got a meeting with a Sheik lined up today? No. Are you visiting the Queen? No. You’re simply at work in your office in unbearable heat.

Now if you turned up wearing flip flops, speedos and a vest with “shagaluf 2018” on the front then fair enough, that would probably be borderline unacceptable but a straightforward tshirt/shorts combo is perfectly acceptable in my eyes…

Or if you really want to be topical… you could always claim you were celebrating the 20th anniversary of this beast of an outfit…

19980602-sarong_1502629i

4 Likes

Shorts are OK where I work - as long as they are smart; so sounds like the same sort of dress code as Jack mentioned earlier where he is.

I guess the question is… are the shorts… short shorts? (Saw a guy walking across the park near my flat earlier wearing a suit jacket and tie… but with short shorts).

3/4 shorts should be acceptable. Short shorts… no.

On Fridays we can wear what we want, people even wear flip flops and sliders, I wear chino or cotton shorts with no issues.

tbh we can just wear whatever during the week as long as it’s smart casual so jeans and shirts are ok. I wear trainers as as well

I worked for awhile in a place that had dress down Fridays and no one was allowed to wear shorts/ denim shorts for the reason that it was “unprofessional”. Skirts can be pretty formal too so unless your workplace allowed a really skimpy skirt I don’t think banning denim shorts is uncommon or unreasonable. It’s up to your workplace to set the rules though… they did allow 3/4 trousers if they were “smart”. How short were these shorts you had on?

2 Likes

They come just above my knees

These are never acceptable unless you are Rafael Nadal from 2010😂

5 Likes

All the issues aside, I find this funny that “You’ll be sent home” - Does your manager really get that much of a kick from being a head teacher? We’re adults at the end of the day, and should be trusted to make decisions based on our experience, the threat of sending you home for being naughty and wearing shorts is laughable.

In terms of the dress code, would clients actually be upset seeing someone in shorts when it’s 30c outside? Highly doubt it. I’m lucky enough to work for a massive worldwide corporation that has a “Wear what you want” dress code - Sat in an office, with clients walking around now and there’s someone in shorts and a flower-y Hawaiian shirt! Based on the “dress code” they sent you that was posted in the thread, I’d challenge that for exact guidelines as that isn’t a dress code and is just waffle about supporting a charity.

3 Likes

I would be in lots of trouble then!

My default standard for dress is shorts + tech t-shirt all year round :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Dress codes are the worst.
I’m very glad I don’t have one now and can sit in my shorts on days like today.

I have exactly the same issue. Ladies can arrive to work in strappy tops & skirts whilst men are in trousers or jeans plus polos or shirts.
Having investigated this myself there is nothing I can do and I suspect quite a large majority will be in a similar situation.
I take it on the chin as men we don’t do too bad in life compared to women.

1 Like

I have a bigger problem with the retirement ages for men and women being different.

1 Like

They do get less of a pension on average so you take the rough with the smooth.

That is historic and needs a brave government to change. Women live longer than men thus should have a later retirement age - not the case. I’m only stating facts not opinion please don’t get the :hocho::hocho: out.

1 Like

The law is already changing but will take a few years to be fair for people already close to pensionable age. I’m all for it, no reason we should retire earlier

I’m not sure it is changing to what I and the last post meant. Ladies will be more equal to men not later as it should actually be given a female will live longer.

Ahhh yes, we are entering an age where man is discriminated against…

Just my opinion, but I’m quite happy for my wife to retire long before me.

Given she’s had to take time off to have our children, and is generally the person who has to compromise when it comes to work (due to my job), I am extremely comforted knowing she can put her feet up first when we are old and grey.

Why can’t people just wear what they’re comfortable in? I wear the same type (read: brand) of clothes all the time, and I’m not changing them. I find nothing else comfortable.

I’ve been wearing them since year 9 (except school uniform).

2 Likes

We are talking about a professional work place though.

At home, crack on and wear whatever you want.

At work, dress codes exist in some places and not in others.

Some are for genuine reasons (hygene, religion etc).

Others are for more “professional” reasons (think, lawyers etc).