Project Imagine (PI1 banking as a platform - formerly Dozens consumer fintech)

Cool, I’m expecting the fixed-interest product to be back soon. btw, is there any new feature or new plan for Dozens recently?

Er, all use of Dozens is currently suspended because of its links to Wirecard. I wouldn’t put any money into Dozens at the moment, if I were you.

1 Like

That’s a pretty misleading statement.

Dozens is not “suspended”. They have however been forced to suspended their debit cards.

They do not hold their emoney with wirecard, my money is all safe and accessible. My 5% bonds are still earning interest. I can move money in and out via bank transfer. I can still make investments with them.

Obviously for some people not being able to use their card is going to be pretty dire. But with so many free fintechs out there, not having a spare is a pretty silly thing to do.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Good to hear. I was informed by the earlier tweet:

2 Likes

Payments with Dozens is now temporarily suspended.

Had they previously advised that payments were working successfully and then have backtracked or have they been suspended all
afternoon?

What’s the Dozens Invitation code and how do I get one?

I don’t think you need an invitation to create an account

I think the queue is still in place upon creating an account, an invitation code just gets you through the queue and into the app.

@TaffyApple dozens will email the invitation code to you. I would assume that there may be delays on this currently with the ongoing situation over there atm.

I notice I have an “invite your friends to dozens” button in my app, but it’s inactive (greyed out).

Has that ever been active?

Thank you, I understand that they are probably a little bit busy this weekend (under statement) so I’ll leave it a week and see what happens when things settle down :+1:

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of, no :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They’re saying that GPS cut off their non-card payments without warning at 7pm yesterday

1 Like

Have to say im incredibly impressed and incredibly jealous with how the dozens staff are interacting on their forum.

Ac is speaking perfectly on the issues and giving great running commentary on what the company is doing to help solve the current issues for its users.

How great would it be if monzo were to buy dozens purely for its staff and investment offerings :eyes:

5 Likes

I agree, AC has been really great through this situation.

I don’t know if I’d want Monzo to buy Dozens though, competition in the market is a good thing, let them push each other to be better :smile:

2 Likes

Dozens’ engagement has been outstanding. Props to AC (Dozens’ chief executive) and @rob_dozens.

I’ll probably post on this in more detail at some time, but I’ve been very impressed by Dozens of late. Adversity tends to show the actual values of people and organisations and they’ve come up trumps. And (from the little I’ve seen) their plans for Dozens 2.0 look excellent - a sense of purpose and vision which has been missing from much of fintech for a while now.

10 Likes

That time is now!

Yesterday i watched the recent Ask AC session. It was feature packed with a backwards looking retrospective as well as a look to the future. I really liked it and would love to see something similar from Monzo.

One thing that caught my eye was Dozens 2.0.

I’ve said before that the holy grail (for me, at least) is being able to clearly and simply see my whole wealth in one place and how that changes over time. That means bringing together spending, savings, investments, debts and assets in one place. And potentially being able to model what different decisions might mean for future wealth.

That’s what I really want from (used to be?) Monzo’s financial control centre ambition. But the reality of running a bank and turning a profit has got in the way. Hopefully we can get back to something strategic soon, but it feels like those days might be behind us.

While Dozens (or, more properly, Project Imagine) might befall the same fate, they are still in early (or earlier, at least) days and are still being visionary.

It struck me that (with some tweaks) the spend, save, invest model could easily be expanded to include spending, debt (cards, loans, mortgages) and assets (property etc). Then you really do get an end-to-end financial lifecycle view. Throw in open banking and external connections and your financial hub or control centre is there.

Which leads me back to Dozens 2.0.

It was the briefest of introductions, but it seems that it might do just that through open banking and other future integrations.

Now, the tricky part is making money out of all that (although Dozens sister company Pi1 looks like it’s part of the solution).

And there are still a few issues that Dozens really need to sort out: the UI is too busy, it’s overly complex, no real banking stuff (direct debits etc), missing info on transactions etc.

But having said all that, I’m really impressed with the focus and the emerging strategy. I’m prepped and ready for disappointment, but I’ll be really happy if they can execute on it.

3 Likes

Project Imagine means they have B2B and B2C revenue, which is a similar strategy to Starling’s banking as a service model.

Then they’ve got the licences to offer products direct, removing the cost of intermediation, which is a big problem for Monzo, imo.

Overall, an astute strategy

2 Likes

The 5% bond is back in the latest version of the app (I think you have to update, if you haven’t automatically). Just put in my bid for this month.

I suspect it will be massively oversubscribed, so low bids only if you want to be in with a chance…

Edit: it is a £100k issuance this month with those whose bids were cancelled being given priority somehow - watch your inbox.

2 Likes

How do they work?