Project Imagine (PI1 banking as a platform - formerly Dozens consumer fintech)

I’m two sided on this. I like the diversity of backgrounds, meaning dozens could potentially innovate and explore outside the realms of legacy bank thinking.

Vs

A lot of it could be pie in the sky thinking that is simply unachievable.

I’ve gone with a small investment to satisfy my curiosity and keep up the Fintech collection.

4 Likes

Personally I think the mix of people is a plus… If you want to shake things up as a fintech why hire people who are set in their ways or have a perceived view of how things should be done… Worth also noting though that the senior vp staff are mainly experienced in the financial world… Ex-barclays for example

1 Like

It doesn’t open to public until Monday. Just letting people know as some have said tomorrow on the thread. (Friday)

1 Like

Theres already been a lot of discussion about this over on the Dozens forum

See here

The CEO also responded saying:

3 Likes

Why do people still post Daily Mail articles as fact and not the sensationalist, trash tier journalism they are.

To set this straight. This Is Money emailed Dozens the questions, got straight honest answers, ran the story with the original lies and assumptions to create the hype and outrage then retract and update when they get called out citing deadline pressure.

It can be too late by then. Most don’t see the update and are lead by the original, completely incorrect article.

If you continue to support this level of outrage journalism, they will make you a angry about everything. Citing baseless ‘facts’, outright lies and trash stories designed to manipulate and outrage you toward their latest handpicked target.

Do yourself a favour: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/daily-mail-blocker/ghjadbffkapbnlbccfjoljfhgolbofhi?hl=en-GB

11 Likes

The daily fail is not even reliable toilet paper :roll_of_toilet_paper: :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yes. It’s really a news source for people who hate life itself.

2 Likes

I think that whilst definitely a valid concern and adds to the risk - compared to say Monzo’s initial funding round (pre-license) what is the difference in the actual level of funding achieved at pre-license stage? (I’d actually be interested to know the figures).

Dozens are trying to come straight out of the gates at a high speed and this should hopefully propel them forward with less initial investment upfront.

Either way it will be interesting to see where they get to!

1 Like

Monzo was granted a banking licence in April 2017. By my reckoning (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/monzo#section-funding-rounds), they raised £12.8m during the process of applying for the licence and then raised nearly £20m around the time they got their licence (I assume some of that funding was simply to have the capital on hand to get the final banking licence sign off).

Definitely agree that it will be interesting to see how Dozens get on and I’m definitely no expert on this - just my own view that the risk/return profile didn’t quite stack up for me. Of course, that equation is different for everyone.

1 Like

That’s interesting to see the comparison - I missed the boat for early investment in Monzo so thought I would put some capital (only very minimal) into Dozens as I really like what they are doing.

Oh definitely, I just thought it a prudent comparison between Monzo at the same sort of stage as Dozens (although I don’t think that comparison is strictly doable as Monzo had a “pre-launch” product for a significant time whilst Dozens look to be attempting to obtain it more aggressively? (Again could be wrong here).

I’m trying to be better at not backing every single Fintech but, judging by the buzz on here, I sense that Dozens is on the right track. I’ve put in a little bit due to fear of missing out but my money this month is mostly going into Grind’s latest raise. The price is steep but that recipe of making money during the day with coffee and night with the booze is hitting a sweet spot in London.

I’ve just put a bout into Dozens. I wasn’t able to log on until after 6 and was amazed at how quickly it was getting funded.

I only ever use ‘pocket money’ with crowd funders, I make no claims to know enough to do it seriously, but it amuses me and gives me an interest.

1 Like

Going fast only 12% left :wink:

Without any inference on the quality of Dozens’s stock, does anyone think we’re seeing the formation of a crowdfunding bubble, where (usually inexperienced) investors will back the next crowdfund because of the high profile of the last?

8 Likes

100% agree, especially when Fintech is the hot thing right now. Personally I think its worse with CFD and Forex platforms and with investor Apps in general that the questionnaires etc that are provided just are good enough

Hey Guys

I have Aritra, founder of Dozens coming on The Makers Podcast. Any questions for him, please email or tweet us ideas@makersseed.com // @makerspodcastHQ

To avoid missing this special episode, subscribe to The Makers Podcast show!

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-makers-podcast/id1436048054?mt=2

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5EBtjscyflsSd3b3y3OlNm

Other channels: www.makersseed.com/podcast

Aritra will also be coming to speak at one of our events - let me know if you are keen to attend!

7 Likes

Would like the details of this please when they are available, cheers

1 Like

They’ve just published more details for any potential investors.

3 Likes

Anyone got anymore detail on when the next bond launch is?