Don't go, coral card! šŸ˜

:unamused: "itā€™s coral not orange":unamused:

1 Like

or ā€˜Pantone 805ā€™ to be more precise :wink:

3 Likes

I personally think a choice of colour, maybe 2 or 3 options to not over complicate things. Obviously the coral is a keen favourite and the navy suits the branding of Monzo entirely.

My personal preference is that I donā€™t want something so bright in my wallet, sometimes it can come across ā€˜too flashā€™ so I think the option for each and every individual would be ideal. Having the destinctive Monzo logo is normally enough to turn a head of someone in the queue behind you! Maybe the use of gold foiling on the card for Alpha/Beta/Investor, certainly goes down well with me to have my status highlighted as a reminder every time I open my wallet and have a use of 4 different cards, Monzo still becomes my first choice over a AMEX earning me Avios points!

Yes please please please donā€™t scrap the coral card. Keep it bright. Keep it distinctive so it stands out from all the boring dark cards all the other banks have. Maybe have a choice of colour of Coral for the young and young at heart and a dark navy for the pin stripe suit brigade :slight_smile:

Just need to use the four colours in the :monzo: logo :slight_smile:

As many people have already mentioned the ā€œhot-coralā€ colour is a conversation starter but also as @hugo has mentioned it embodies the concept and ethos of the brand. Monzo is a start up, disrupting the industry, it makes sense to have a card design that embodies and reflects this. When I look at the card I always think its missing the ubiquitous Monzo ā€œMā€. Itā€™s so prevalent in the app yet its nowhere to be seen on the card. As @hugo mentioned the logo/mark was designed after the hot-coral card which explains why. The design at the top of this post by @Sam is nice, really nice, but it looks and feels like lots of other bank cards, very corporate. Monzo isnā€™t that, its a rule breaker, its an innovator, its doesnā€™t do things by the status quo. The above design suggestion is a fairly obvious one. Keep the hot-coral colour but introduce the Monzo ā€œMā€.

10 Likes

@RichardR I did look at that layout too initially. I wanted to fill the space while aligning the word Monzo with the contactless waves. When you do that with the M and the word Monzo it leaves a lot of space at the top. So I thought it might be fun to stack them and right align them with the MasterCard logo. Maybe I over thought it and your suggestion is clearer, its certainly more aligned with the website.

2 Likes

So many great suggestions and thoughts about the card. Itā€™s true the hot coral card would be hard to separate from, but looking at this from a brand identity point of view it really is a trouble maker. It can be mesmerizing under the right light (summer evening sun is my fav) and in other light it can appear orange, or even brown in low light, arrghhhhhh! this is the headache a special ink can bring. Especially if you want to use it across your brand. You see, the colour Pantone 805c cannot be reproduced on-screen :frowning: and this worries me a little as we are building a bank you interact with through screens.

As @hugo mentions above, the hot coral colour was chosen specifically for our alpha / beta testing and we didnā€™t really think beyond this at the time. As it turned out everyone started falling in love with the thing and itā€™s been an incredible mascot for Monzo.

We still donā€™t have an answer for this moving forward but we do think it would be a shame to loose that unique vibe we currently have with the hot coral.

p.s unlikely, but If we could find a card manufacture who could triplex bank cards and customise the colour of the chips! iā€™d be tempted to do something like this, hot coral homage.

27 Likes

This always irritates me, needs at least an officially selected and documented screen equivalent so I donā€™t have to keep approximating it every time! :disappointed:

Would LOVE to see that triplex card design in person. Gives just enough of a unique dash. Iā€™d imagine that might also be more expensive though?

1 Like

Hey Richard, yes I think a Triplex would bump the card price up massively (if itā€™s even possible) so probably not an option for the time being. An alternative version to this would be hot coral on the back - Navy on the front or maybe wrap the coral around and include it on the front somehow, similar to @reuā€™s mockup. Plenty to think about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really love those designs, I think if a triplex card is not possible then having the back of the card Coral will look great as well.

1 Like

@richard3 just ask google and it will tell you the screen equivalent https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/805-C

Those designs are nice - it is the top of the card being hot coral that prompts conversations from merchants though - i think it would be a shame to lose that as its getting the brand out there. Not sure it would prompt conversation with the other designs as not so ā€˜out thereā€™ (even the triplex).

2 Likes

Still waiting for a merchant to comment on the card color and start a conversationā€¦

Those are nice. I liked it when my Nationwide card had the red edging.

I did do that! The colour values listed there looked very wrong against the real card on the variety of different screens I tested, both with and without calibrations and various document profiles. I ended up picking some approximations from the website and images that looked much closer to the card I had in hand.

It may be technically incorrect against what Pantone says but to my eye, the approximations in the app, on the website and in press images matched the real card better.

Ohhh I need to know more about said card! I wonder if there are any shots of it online I can hunt down.

Edit: Found this

Now I need to find out who produced it :grimacing:

Curve has a black triplex and CapitalOne uses blue

I think it might be a challenge to colour the chip. I donā€™t think simply painting them would work as the connecting needs to be pretty good if you have to insert your card. We have all been there before when you have had to clean the chip with your thumb to get it working again. Also over time I think the paint would just simply wear away. You could possibly look into chemical colouring the metal that way there wouldnā€™t be a layer of paint on top of the chip.

I received a new lloyds card the other day and it had a noticeably smaller chip then iā€™ve seen before. I thought it looked more minimal and a lot better.

1 Like

It mentions Oberthur on one of my cards

1 Like