Dogs on Buses

Anybody here take their Dog on the bus ?

According to stagecoach and one of their drivers I asked, one dog is allowed ( at the drivers discretion ) and can travel for free.

When they say " drivers discretion " what exactly does that mean, I only have a little dog so hoping it would be ok

I presume if your dog is clean and well behaved itā€™s fine.
They would only say no if they were naughty or covered in mud.

Ultimately itā€™s up to the driver to decide though so you donā€™t really know.

2 Likes

They may also refuse if the bus is crowded so feels it isnā€™t suitable for a dog.

Yep.

The answer has to be: donā€™t over think it. (And donā€™t let your dog occupy a seat :grinning:).

Incidentally, do you have a dog?

1 Like

You could just telephone Stagecoach to ask :roll_eyes:

All we can do on here is speculate which isnā€™t going to help.

Or you could use that Google thing and youā€™d find that it is all covered on their website here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/conditions-of-carriage in section #9 :clap:

To save a click

9) Animals

One accompanied, well-behaved dog or other small animal which will not be a danger or a nuisance for other customers or our staff is allowed to travel with you on our buses at the discretion of the driver who may reasonably decide where on the bus the animal is best carried.

A fare may be charged for dogs and details are contained in the ā€˜Guide to Ticketsā€™ of the local Stagecoach operating company available on our website.

Where appropriate, dogs must be muzzled or put on a lead in accordance with the Dangerous Dogs Act. Small animals must be caged, boxed or kept on a lead. Any animal carried must remain under control and must not be allowed to sit on the seats.

If you bring an animal onto a bus, you will be held responsible for any damage, loss or injury arising from its presence on the bus.

Guide dogs, hearing or assistance dogs accompanying registered disabled persons are carried free of charge at any time. Assistance dogs should wear their harness or identification jacket when travelling.

3 Likes

Yes, a little puggle

I know mate thanks. I just wanted to hear other peoples experiences :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not what you asked. Your question was:

If it is drivers discretion then Iā€™m sorry to say it but youā€™ll find that it is irrelevant what other peoples experiences are because on the day that you take your dog onto the bus it will depend on too many factors.

1 Like

Where I live in Essex you have to pay for a dog ticket no matter what size. I can understand a massive dog but a small one

I guess the driver discretion is incase of allergies.

Not an issue in Brighton luckily. Dogs van come and go as they please

The driver is god on the bus. Everything is at their discretion, under the terms of carriage, within the law obviously.

2 Likes

What a strap-line :smiley:

If it bites the driver itā€™ll mean no.

4 Likes

Saw his face on the back of a MegaBus yesterday. On the M4, if youā€™re at all religious.

1 Like

I was about to come back with a pithy responseā€¦Iā€™ve got nothing :smirk:

2 Likes

Travelled with the dog earlier all went well

5 Likes