✅ Support for Samsung Pay

Thing is if iOS was open for other manufacturers they might have considered using that.

I do know it is a sort of null argument but just a thought :thought_balloon:

This feed was made asking if Monzo supports Samsung pay. But it’s filled with responses like “Use Android pay instead” or " no we are not going to look into it because not enough people want it.

Im sure Monzo would not want the word of mouth answer to be " no it doesn’t support use starling instead".

That’s probably why this feed has gone on this long. Should have just lied and said something like " in 2019 we will start to look into it". Don’t offend people into thinking their needs do not matter to you.

I’m sure if this was 2014 and someone asked " when is apply pay available with Monzo" the response would be, “use the card instead”

2 Likes

Honestly Simon I am disappointed you omitted “galaxy watch” from the quote you grabbed from me. It says a lot to be honest.

2 Likes

Monzo have already replied:

2 Likes

Okay cool. They should pin that. It gets lost in the android pay vs Apple pay vs Samsung pay debate that should not be happening here.

I’ll suggest they should at least have a plan, or timeline in place. Having Samsung pay and boasting about it on site could help to grow that low share. I mean they have a full section on their homepage for Apple pay and not even android pay. I’m not surprised the android share is low.

4 Likes

Good idea. I’ve edited the first post to reflect.

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Samsung / Android thoughts

It sounds like you have a solution then :slight_smile: if you’re expecting Monzo to replicate all of Starling’s functionality (or vice versa) then you’re going to be disappointed I’m afraid. They’re competing with the high street banks, not each other, at this point.

The reason Monzo doesn’t have Samsung Pay is that they’ve decided to spend their time focusing on building other features that Starling doesn’t have instead. And if there’s more of those that they can build, that will add more value than Samsung Pay, then I expect they’ll carry on doing that.

The rest of this discussion seems pretty meaningless to me when it comes to choosing between the two challengers to be honest.

9 Likes

Yeah, I have already signed up with them. Luckily i wasn’t using Monzo for too long, so i don’t have too much loyalty.

1 Like

Perfect, I hope you get on well using them! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s fair to say the fine is unjust and it depends entirely on how you view Android. ‘Android’/AOSP is free and open source, and that’s great; enthusiasts and the like can tinker and create custom builds. But to the general public ‘Android’ is not Android without Google Mobile Services, and the reality is Google knows this and has used this to their advantage, some would say (such as the EU) in an uncompetitive way.

Who knows, the forced unbundling of key apps and removal of the restrictions on handset makers may result in a benefits for consumers.

1 Like

if that is the case, they should be supporting Samsung Gear, Garmin and Fitbit devices, which many banks don’t. They will make the bank available to a wider range of customers on the devices THEY want to use. These devices are typically used by younger customers, who de facto could be with the bank longer term.

Restricting the support of these various devices is like a company customer support saying sorry we won’t accept emails you must phone or send a letter. Multi channel via multi devices is the way of the future.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this is quite fair. If I’ve understood properly, Monzo aren’t restricting support (which, to me at least, means preventing something that’s there already from working) but not prioritising development of it. A subtle but important difference, I think.

My interpretation of what Simon and others from Monzo have said isn’t that they don’t value this, just that in terms of trade-offs with what they could otherwise be doing, they don’t see this as a priority.

I mean, I’d quite like FitBit pay, but I have a Starling account for that. For the advanced user (and I’m counting those of us on these forums in that!) it feels to me better that Monzo and Starling (and Tandem, N26 and the rest) focus on different things - that way we get much broader functionality across the whole of fintech, rather than leap-frogging in a “me too” motion!

6 Likes

Wow at the replies in here :open_mouth:

You’ve had a very fair and justified answer about why it isn’t currently supported which is a lot more than most other banks would do. They haven’t ruled out not doing it in the future so all is not lost.

Can’t we just leave it there and all be friends again :weary::heart:

6 Likes

Agreed that those are the priorities you’d set in their situation but that doesn’t mean it has to be the priorities Monzo need to set. It just means that you disagree with them.

As I’ve said more than once on here, there is no commitment on the part of any business to do what we the customer wants, not even to listen and take decisions in the light of what they hear. In turn, we only get to give or withhold our business in response to what they actually do.

To be Monzo specific for a moment, a proportion of what appears on here seems to be built on the false premise that just because a forum exists, we have the right to expect that what we tell Monzo to do will happen. Let’s all try that in a branch of Lloyd’s and see how far we get… :scream:

A bit harsh since the support for these devices doesn’t yet exist so they’re not really restricting anything. They’re choosing to spend their money on their own priorities rather than the priorities of a subset of their customers. When all’s said and done, that’s what all companies (without Apple’s cash pile) have to do every day.

8 Likes

I can’t put words in @anon44204028’s mouth, and I’m personally on the fence about all of the different types of payment support.

But…

I may be wrong, but I think his point was that as a challenger bank to the High Street banks, multi platform payment support is one of the things you can do to push the boundaries.

Yes the challengers are new, and often, the “new features” are bringing the service up to parity with what already exists; and we all know how much I’ve been banging on about something as archaic as “payee management”.

It’s a moot topic, but I wonder if the support would be there if Monzo hadn’t built their own payment processor (which, I believe most of us assume to be the delay on bringing Apple Pay to Monzo).

Although, I’m happy they did, as my issues with Starling in the past have been GPS based!

We all have different priorities, and it’s very easy for us to brush off the features that will never matter to us (Fitbit Pay, Samsung Pay etc).

It would be really interesting if Monzo could go one step further on their “transparency” side of things, and in cases like this, explain just how much development time would be needed to bring this to market.

There are some things which have been developed ridiculously quickly (Coin Jar and Joint Accounts off the top of my head).

If Monzo could explain that by developing X, it would affect Y and Z, it might make for a slightly more interesting conversation.

I appreciate this transparency brings with it as many problems as it solves at times, so I’m not expecting it to happen - Purely airing my thoughts :grin:

7 Likes

This is the problem with Samsung using their own operating system on some of their watches but Android on their phones :sweat:

This is also why I’m a big fan of buying into ecosystems, like the Apple ecosystem or the Google one. If Samsung would like to make their own operating system, they should make their own ecosystem with that same operating system available on their phones, watches, TVs etc.

2 Likes

yes @nickh that is my thoughts 100%

1 Like

According to this, Samsung Pay is accepted more widely than either Google Pay or Apple Pay in the US.

3 Likes

Which is true because I believe they use magstripe emulation so it would work on any magstripe terminal. This seems to be the only real selling point of Samsung Pay as everything else is just a shitty attempt at copying Android’s built-in features.

Maybe something to consider when Monzo launches in the US assuming Monzo is happy with the risks (it’s still magstripe after all so can be skimmed, etc).

5 Likes