✅ Support for Samsung Pay

Can you post an article link with a one-line summary or your thoughts on it, instead of spamming the forum by pasting the text of a corporate press release in?

As a side note, some of the sentences in that PR are frankly ridiculous!

4 Likes

That’s a good reason to be able to use Monzo with Samsung Pay…

I’m also thinking Samsung would probably be really easy to get on board with. I imagine they’d be very welcoming to any banks wanting to support Samsung Pay. Please Monzo correct me if that’s not the expierence.

1 Like

Does any monzo customer’s Have Samsung’s if use do who would like to see monzo get Samsung pay as i know alot of people want Apple pay but what about Samsung Pay

1 Like

Has anyone tried using Samsung Pay? It says it supports MBNA and TfL, but I haven’t managed to add any!

Just chucking this in the ring again, I’m still definitely interested in Samsung Pay support.

Recently I’ve seen a surge in the number of Gear S3s around so there is definitely a growing user base for this.

Advantages over Google Pay? Very little, Samsung Pay has a couple niceties like adding a card via NFC, paying with Tizen watches, and ties into Samsung phones cleaner.

I’m aware this is probably still an unlikely thing to happen but it would be a nice thing to have.

5 Likes

Can we please have support for Samsung pay on Monzo? I like the interface and the fact it uses MST as well as NFC

5 Likes
1 Like

the fact it uses MST

You mean the fact that it’s insecure? :joy: Are you asking for abroad usage? In the U.K. most (all?) terminals are EMV so there’s little chance you can use MST.

1 Like

Yes abroad use. I have been using Samsung pay with another bank and I have found no security issues. I would just like to have the option on Monzo as this is my preferred bank now and I could then finish moving everything over.

5 Likes

I don’t believe magnetic stripe transmission is supported by non-US/Korean banks.

It actually works fine on EMV enabled terminals since the service code doesn’t have the use IC flag.

Just be nice to have the option especially as Samsung pay expands

3 Likes

Do you really think it will continue to expand?

1 Like

Samsung Pay? yes, I think it will. Samsung has loads of cash to burn, and wants to get rid of its reliance on Android/Google, so they’ll keep pushing.

MST? I seriously hope not! (And can’t imagine it will: Apart from Korea, the civilised world has now switched to EMV, so there is no need :wink: )

2 Likes

I agree I think Samsung pay will continue onwards and upwards. When you consider their dominance in the UK handset market, I am sure they will want to capitalise and complement that

4 Likes

Do you have any figures on Samsung’s UK market share? The last I saw, they were around 25%, so very big, but certainly not dominant. Would be really interesting to see current figures.

1 Like

Is the last I’ve seen. Samsung having 34%, virtually identical to Applie at 34.4%

1 Like

Samsung pay will never work if they keep using android…

And good luck to them trying a totally new OS

1 Like

Is there anything with annual figures? Problem with quarterly ones is that they get distorted by the released cycles of various manufacturers. And actually, in terms of whether Samsung Pay is worth supporting, devices in use is the important metric. I’d love to see figures on in-use market share for the various manufacturers, but never have. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Who cares, they are doing ok

I care, because working on Samsung Pay would be time/effort that’s not going towards other features. So it would be good to know that this isn’t just a niche requirement. I’ve never run across anyone using or asking about Samsung Pay outside of this thread, but that’s just anecdotal. I’d be interested to see some data.

3 Likes