Does Monzo offer a joint account?

Thank you @BethS !

Is it known yet whether it will be possible to convert existing accounts to joint accounts? That is, will we be able to apply to add someone to our existing (single person) account, to make that account into a joint account?

Or, will it be necessary to make a fresh application for a new joint account?

It’ll be running a sole alongside a joint account I believe :+1:

I’m not sure how the opening will occur as far as KYC goes.

For anyone who wants to be able to easily tell the card’s top line apart in their (phyiscal; granted, this won’t help with Apple/Android) wallets, may I recommend:

sharpies

1 Like

Monzo are in the position to solve this issue before it goes to production. Being able to distinguish between cards is clearly an issue that a number of people have encountered with different banks and as it’s a little detail which is quite often overlooked, a few intelligent design choices would set monzo apart from other banks.

I’d rather not have to resort to working around the issue by sticking things on my cards, or writing on them with Sharpies or nail polish. I’m sure the monzo design team wouldn’t want that either, monzo have made it quite clear how proud they are of the card design, and defacing their cards in this way would be a disservice to them.

8 Likes

Am I right in thinking that you won’t be able to have a Monzo joint account, without also having a Monzo sole account?

That’s a good question. Let me ask

1 Like

You’re correct. :blush: A sole account will be required.

That’s a shame! But thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

If two people take a joint account out with Monzo, will their credit histories be linked on any of the credit reference agencies?

I have a sole Monzo account, my partner doesn’t. I am guessing she would need a sole account for us to get a joint account? (Sorry for all the questions :joy:)

This is the case for all joint financial products, pretty much, Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!

Asking @HoddzDJ :+1:

3 Likes

So, for now that’s also a yes.

We haven’t made plans for the future nor is anything set in stone. As always, we’re shipping as quickly as possible :+1:

1 Like

No problem, thanks Beth :raised_hands:

Hmmm. That’s an interesting little wrinkle I hadn’t even thought of. I’m not sure that will work for us but, on the grounds that I can’t see my wife ever providing a selfie video, it may be a moot point.

1 Like

As someone working in retail the amount of people that can’t tell which card is which is pretty huge. Loyalty cards that are the same colour also have this issue. Thankfully hot coral is pretty unique so you are likely to only have two of that colour but a different, distinct colour eliminates that problem.

I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t see that Joint text if you had you card in a wallet.

I don’t even need a joint account hah. I guess I just wanna see an electric blue card. :laughing:

1 Like

My vote is for a different Hot colour. Make it the blue from the left side of the :monzo: logo. Yes, it’s “all about the brand” but if the brand is placed above a superb customer experience, that’d be a shame.

The word JOINT is extra clutter on a gloriously minimalistic card design, and the cognitive load to separate joint and personal cards is, I reckon, higher with a word than just a simple colour change.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing a blue card :eyes:

3 Likes

Haha. My wife was not expecting the selfie video! “I haven’t done my hair”.

1 Like

Blue and coral? Why not a nice gender neutral lilac card! I would love that!

2 Likes

To be honest I didn’t associate my blue suggestion with anything gendered. I certainly don’t want a ‘masculine’ card. I just thought the first colour of the logo looked good. I guess it’s more turquoise really.