Does Monzo offer a joint account?

Yep! https://twitter.com/nickrw/status/997588880722415616

3 Likes

I have two joint accounts that I would like to move to Monzo and I would prefer to keep separate. One primarily for bills and household expenses and household savings and another for food/eating out. I get the idea of using pots but I would prefer to keep the joint accounts separate. It’s how we have managed our finances for many years. I don’t want to be limited to one joint account which would be a retrograde step…

Android pay is a separate issue for joint accounts, because the cards are also identical in the virtual wallet, and you can’t name them or anything.

I have a credit card as a main card for my android pay, and then occasionally have to put things on either the joint account or my main current account, this means I often end up selecting the wrong one as I always forget which of the account numbers is which

1 Like

That’s an interesting point. Do you / does anyone know if Google Pay includes the “investor” line or other annotations? I think Apple Pay does which could be handy if joint accounts are the same design but with “joint account” under the Monzo logotype.

1 Like

Have you seen the new Summary tab? We separate out your everyday spending (e.g. groceries) from your “committed” spending (e.g. bills). Currently only standing orders are counted as “committed”, but we’re working on getting Direct Debits and online card subscriptions in there too as we speak…

3 Likes

This is something I personally want, and I have an idea of how we might be able to do it… no promises, though! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Could we see the joint account having the blue card that was once shared :yum: that would be cool

Yes. I have been using summary since monzo labs launched so I understand how spend can be categorised. It’s fine but in my case I want ring fenced joint accounts. I don’t see any reason why multiple joint accounts should not be possible…

It doesn’t seem to (mine doesn’t at least - I am an investor, but was on the early current account trial so I’ve just got a ‘normal’ card - whether the later switchers/card replacements have ‘Investor’ printed on them and that’s reflected on GooglePay I’m not sure).

1 Like

A thought on 2 cards…
Why can’t the joint account card have the word JOINT… where we currently have INVESTOR etc under the Monzo?

That way you can see right away its the joint card? Or is that too obvious no one else thought of it?

card%402x

10 Likes

It’d be fine, but if I’m quickly checking out at Tesco with a queue behind me, it wouldn’t that easy to identify which was which. As I’d have to look at the current card to see if that had joint written on it or not and then change cards.

I think a better approach would be to have something that you can on the top line, similar to Halifax here. Or even better, a completely different colour, but that’s unlikely.

2 Likes

You’ll be pleased to hear that this is what we’re likely going with for now at least. :+1:

It takes quite some time to get the cards approved, produced, and stocked though so we’re testing internally with generic hot coral cards.

1 Like

Or. Take your time. People will wait.

2 Likes

The whole point of Apple Pay is for me not to take my time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can see how it could get confusing with two very similar cards, but happy to go with this for the time being. I would hope that Monzo will look at alternatives in the future for joint accounts and leave Hot Coral for personal accounts.

1 Like

My joint account card with Lloyds look exactly the same as my other account card, the only difference was the card number so I had to remember which was which haha

That’s why Sharpies are useful :wink:

2 Likes

And woe to you if you needed a new card due to fraud…

If they were going to be the same hot coral colour, ideally I’d like some kind of distinguishing feature at the top of the card (maybe a different edge colour??) so I can easily pick it from my (physical) wallet. Although any distinguishing feature would be good at present

1 Like

Not useful for first direct who have two black cards

1 Like