Does anyone else still carry around an alternative card?

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I guess it would be foolish to carry just one payment method, whether it’s Monzo or not. My question sprang to mind for those times when I’m not carrying my whole wallet, like nipping to a shop or commuting via bike. I’d never considered a backup card for my traditional debit cards, but now I will :slight_smile:
I don’t have a phone new enough to support Apple Pay (I know, I know :roll_eyes: ) so I might consider carrying around just Monzo when I buy a shiny new phone, eventually.

1 Like

I carry several cards plus Apple Pay

Still have nationwide card just in case I need a Visa network card in case mastercard goes down and In case I need to pay in cash.

Then Monzo is my main card slot in my wallet.

I then have a Visa Creditcard which is my work one and links into my expenses app and then MasterCard credit card which does the big big purchases

I only carry my Monzo and my joint account card (roll on getting a Monzo joint acc :smirk:) but I usually pay with my Monzo Pay. :ok_hand:t3:
The thing I get annoyed with is having to carry around reward cards, my Cineworld card, etc… Hopefully we’ll soon be able to add rewards cards to Pay too!

I wish I could use it for spending tracking, but not at the expense of airmiles and Section 75. As a current account with an app, it is light years ahead of HSBC, and I’ve learned a lot about the value and timings of my direct debits. My favourite features are monzo.me, in-app chat, the forex rates, card freezing, and this forum! In however many decades, none of those things have crossed HSBC’s mind, even though I’d always thought they were a great bank. When I repatriated from the US, I thought I’d lost my bank card, so I phoned HSBC for a replacement. They stopped the card, took two weeks to send a new one, and I found it an hour later…

In time, I am hoping that Monzo offers spending tracking on my credit cards as well. In the meantime, I’ve spent a tenner on Moneyhub. If, after a year of that, Monzo still doesn’t show my other accounts, then I might go back to a packaged account, and just move my salary over each month.

1 Like

As much as I love Google Pay, I never leave the house without my wallet. I carry my Monzo card, Lloyds bank debit card, that I don’t really use anymore apart from it being there if I need to pay in cash. (SPOILER alert: I don’t think I have ever done it) and my Lloyds bank Credit card which I don’t really use unless I really have to / make a small purchase on every now and again to improve credit scores etc.

The chances of a Visa or Mastercard outage are rare in my opinion but I get anxious about this stuff so it’s better to be safe

I carry my business card. I usually transfer money to my personal account and claim expenses but sometimes if it’s something bigger I use that card. But I’ve added it to Curve now so I’ll try to use that in future - it also means I can switch which card its debited from if I make a mistake which is always handy.

And I keep my Curve card as all my credit cards are on there, and when I shop in Boots I use it and collect a bit of cash back. It’s the only place I remember to use it regularly! I spend a fortune in Boots so the rewards as well as the advantage points add up quickly.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.