Doctor Who

And rightly so, this is a Doctor Who thread! If ever there was a place for pedentry. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You mean pedantry… But I’m thinking you did that on purpose :joy:

6 Likes

I like most of the stylistic changes… I just wish chibnall would learn to write endings…

A ‘race’ where nobody races and the last 2 minutes we get ‘let’s call it a draw then’
Spider invasion… ends with ‘and then they all died. the end. Oh and guns are bad, mmkay’

I missed the last episode but actually been advised not to bother, which is going some, considering I sat through the whole of The Gunfighters without punching anything… I’ll probably watch it tomorrow morning so I stay in sequence.

OTOH next week is a guest writer, so maybe the combination of chibnalls direction and another writer is the sweet spot.

1 Like

I saw that as a nod to War of the Worlds (and an unexpected demonstration of the square-cube law actually being applied!).

If only… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@TonyHoyle: the worst thing about the guns-bad stuff in Arachnids (something which I can totally get behind) is that in that case it really seemed like shooting the fucker was the kindest thing to do for it. It was suffering a slow painful death. :disappointed_relieved:

And it would have probably been better writing to point out the moral ambiguity there… eg. if the doctor had talked nottrump into handing her the gun then she immediately turns around and shoots the spider anyway, because it was the right thing to do.

Or any kind of ending at all that didn’t mean sheffield was still infested with mutant spiders and all the ones in the hotel were going to die a slow death trapped in a room.

1 Like

And… it was. That was easily the best episode of the series so far.

Now can some confiscate chibnall’s writing implements so we can keep the quailty up? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

One of the best maybe (Pting! :smirk:).

Honestly I was ready to declare tonight’s just awful until the twist. After that it was great.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts - 12/11/18

Hey all, just removed a few posts that were getting this thread off-topic.

Feel free to discuss the new series of Doctor Who - including what you like and don’t like. But, as always, let’s keep it inclusive.

(And thanks for flagging posts).

3 Likes

Brilliant episode last night for sure. Although, slightly more focus on Britain’s culpability of partition would have been nice. If you weren’t aware of history you might have seen it as something that just happened.

3 Likes

I always find historical and political ones to be the better episodes.

It started as that from a sci fi perspective, and people who think otherwise aren’t aware of it’s whole history.

1 Like

Can’t you soft delete posts, or at least move them to a different thread without leaving a redirect? It’s very jarring.

2 Likes

Yeah the last episode was one of the better ones. I’m finding I definitely enjoy it more when I’m actually learning something. As a 24 year old I had no idea about any of the events that happened in that episode. I feel like its definitely something we should have learnt in school.

2 Likes

Never ordering from Amazon again

8 Likes

Brilliant episode. Love the idea that big tech systems might have a conscience.

4 Likes

Really loved tonight’s episode. Was paranoid it would just be a lazy attack on modern technology but I found the unexpected anti-tech terrorist angle a lot more interesting.

4 Likes

I said the same to my other half :rofl:

1 Like

How good was Alan Cumming as King James in the last episode? Stole the show!

6 Likes

Alan Cumming was amazing. Best episode so far.

What I also liked was the fact that for the first time the story was affected by the Doctor being a woman in a way that wouldn’t have happened if they were a man. I thought that was clever.

2 Likes