Doctor Who

As long as they don’t start the episode with ‘look I have boobs’ and then do a load of lady jokes…

(which I seriously think Moffat would have)

They really need to hurry up and make the doctor ginger… how many years has that been a thing now? :joy:

5 Likes

This conversation is so alien to me. I have never watched a full Dr. Who episode. How weird is that? :smile:

Pun intended? :joy:

3 Likes

Of course :joy:

1 Like

I’ve not watched Doctor Who since the end of season 9. I used to be a big fan too but went off it! May catch up on the latest season and have another go.

1 Like

Dalek bumps.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to see the differences watching the classic episodes on Twitch. They were always multiple episodes which meant for a slower but more detailed story. I think the newer stuff loses a lot by trying to pack everything into an hour.

I never really liked chibnall’s episodes but then Moffatt wrote some of the highest rated individual episodes then had issues as a showrunner (like for example refusing to let anyone actually get killed off, which got really silly at the end), so the opposite effect is entirely possible.

3 Likes

New season will start on October 7th!

3 Likes

You can’t have Doctor Who on a Sunday, that’s just wrong

1 Like

yesssssssssssss

Not keen on the soundtrack… I hope that’s not an example now Murray Gold isn’t doing it any more. The rest of it, looking good.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the first episode. The companions are much better than the last few and lots of room for the Doctor’s character to grow

1 Like

Disappointed we didn’t get a “Lots of planets have a Hoodezfield!” line :sweat_smile:

Joking aside, was decent enough, as first episodes go. If slightly predictable to some extent - the problem with promos and leaks meaning you know in advance who the companions are means that, when faced with an unfamilar character connected to them, you jump straight to wondering “so how do they get rid of them?”

Having kind of drifted away from Who after the first Smith series (Moffat may be a brilliant writer of individual episodes, but as a show runner he ran down some terrible dead-ends), and having heard that Chibnall wants to go back to stand-alone episodes and doesn’t want to bring back tired old villians, I’m very much willing to give the show a chance and hope it takes an upwards curve.

Heck, even if I end up not being keen personally, if it catches on with the public in general, that can only be a good thing. To put it another way, regardless of what my own personal response may be, I really want the first female Doctor to be a big success.

3 Likes

I normally love Dr who and I am not against a female doctor. It’s good to have change and diversity. But maybe I am strange but just can’t take to her as the doctor. She’s a fabulous actress, maybe there is something wrong with me.

I’ve watched every series of the modern Doctor Who as it was released (I was 7 in 2005), out of habit more than anything.

This new series is shaping up to be very different to the rest. I thought the first episode was OK… although I am very much looking forward to the next episode.

(I did watch some of the classic seasons a couple of years ago)

I’ve liked past female time lady’s such as Rani and Romana.

2 Likes

If I didn’t watch much of the Capaldi series (wasn’t keen on him) will I miss anything if I dive in to the new series?

Not at all. A new showrunner and new Doctor is the perfect jump-in point.

The new season has been absolutely stellar. All 3 episodes so far have been top notch. The Rosa Parks one that just aired is one of the best episodes of anything that I’ve seen in a long time.

7 Likes

Thanks, will give it a go then! Just really didn’t get on board with Capaldi, he didn’t do it for me at all.