Do you Dual Drive / Wield? If so, how?

3 Likes

I have to log on to my laptop to see it on OneDrive!!

3 Likes

You can’t login to OneDrive on your phone? wtf?

2 Likes

I can, but it would take a few minutes to load up and then I wouldn’t be able to open the images due to the lack of gallery app!

1 Like

I’ve strongly considered getting a 2nd phone for the camera & solely using a Pixel for that after it did so well in the photo competition by MKBHD

1 Like

I did dual drive* for a year as an experiment to see if I could get back into Android (my eye keeps getting turned by the fancy folding stuff). I don’t have much helpful advice though as I kept them solely as separate devices/numbers. Missus and a few key contacts had my Android number as well.

You can keep contacts, email, documents and photos synced across devices easily enough with the various google apps. Messages was always the toughie and I don’t think that’s improved in the couple of years since I did this.

(*carried 2 iPhones and a Moto G, does this count as triple driving?)

1 Like

I haven’t Dual Driven per se but I do have both iOS and Android phones. iPhone 14 Pro Max is my daily driver and I picked up a brand new Pixel 6a from the Google Store during Black Friday last year. It was £149 (£299 Black Friday deal and £150 trade-in for my Pixel 4a).

I do like the Pixel 6a but I’m too embedded in Apple’s ecosystem to change completely.

2 Likes

May be worth swapping this year if they have the same deal on for black friday

1 Like

Surprised with the number of android work phones tbh… my place only issues iPhones (SE gen 2/3 or iPhone 13 if you’re important) mainly due to mdm.

The exploding Samsung battery was the final kick to remove all android phones back when that was a thing :rofl:

2 Likes

Android has an MDM too - Lloyds used Vodafone MDM which never really worked :smiley:

Used to block screenshots, that we needed for troubleshooting. That was a big brain move

They haven’t added it to the work store - it’s a common mistake.

1 Like

We only issue iphones but you can use your own android device with a work profile and enrolling in our MDM system.

I just didn’t want the hassle of two devices - also makes it easier for me to manage work and personal whatsapps (I use a business account) and personal as I can use two apps on one phone.

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea, I just wished iOS had a dedicated work profile (I know that with a bit of setup, a focus mode can essentially do the same thing)

1 Like

Yeah I like it a lot - work profile turns on at 9am and off at 5pm automatically Monday to friday…

1 Like

I may make the effort to do the setup, location based as I’m shift based

My current and previous workplace are both all Android apart from the most senior execs.

Even before the current economic climate, the cost savings from handing out midrange Androids is just massive.

3 Likes

Yep. I duel-wield and have done for about 6 years now. I have two contracts that expire on alternating years, so each year is either new iPhone year or new Android year.

Currently my set up is the Pixel 6 Pro and the iPhone 14 Pro Max. So this year is Pixel upgrade year and I’m hoping for news on the Pixel Fold!

I tend to use the Pixel more. I find Android a much better and more flexible operating system compared to iOS, despite being a year older, the Pixel 6 Pro still takes better photos than the 14 Pro Max (but the iPhone beats it on videos) and even though they’re both larger phones, the iPhone is much chunkier and heavier. Plus, I’m fully tied into the Google ecosystem which feels more system
level integrated than on iOS, although all the same apps are generally available on both.

I have both because obviously through working at Monzo, Sphere and Twitter (and likely wherever I go next) it’s just easier to debug issues that any user is having if you can closely replicate their experience.

My primary phone number that people have and that WhatsApp is tied to is the Pixel.

Since I go to the US a lot, I typically buy a local SIM there and put it in the iPhone. That way I can still have access to my regular number as well as a local number.

You can’t really mirror SMS or WhatsApp as far as I’m aware, but I spend more time on cross platforms apps that are logged in to the same accounts (like social media apps) anyway.

7 Likes

I’m considering a Pixel 6A as a 2nd device, simply for the camera functionality - it won the MKBHD photo test, and it’s only £280 on Amazon for a new device :eyes:
Is it really that noticeably different/better?

1 Like

Yes. It’s noticeably better in every side-by-side I’ve taken, and the blind camera tests serve to back that up.

That being said, there are subjective things that some may prefer about the iOS camera system like the UX, so YMMV.

2 Likes

iPhone’s SMS and calls cannot be synced to Android but Android’s messages and notifications can be seen/synced to iPhone

You can also mirror your iPhone Whatsapp to Android using the whatsapp beta + tablet trick

1 Like