Display running balance with each entry

Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion.
I have experienced in different occasions the following:

• A transaction failed at the POS
  • It somehow actually went through
  • It did not show up in the feed (until a forced sync was issued/I did a logout/login/clear data/black magic)
  • The balance updated within the app
  • The “spent today” numbers were off (in case I got a refund and I still had the transaction missing within the feed)

Also this morning - as a result of the above scenario - I had a balance of £28.something; before leaving the house I topped up by £30, but the balance came out as £48.something.

A running balance adjacent to each entry in the feed or a “previous balance: X/NewBalance: Y” within the details of a transaction would help spot this kind of errors (the latter would force me to tap in and out of transaction details though).

Arguments like that I do not need to worry about checking this kind of things, that errors should be apparent and/or I should keep an eye on the balance are fallacious.

I - for instance - do not check the balance every single time before I use the card and for sure I cannot remember what the balance was at a certain point in time.

That’s exactly why bank statements have 3 columns: in, out, balance so that you can spot discrepancies at a glance without running the whole thing through excel.

If Monzo want also to implement predictive graphs and other frills, I am OK with it, but I need to be able to spot when items are missing from the feed and a running balance could reduce the math needed to a single addition/subtraction.

A graph telling me what balance I have in jumps of 24 hours lacks the granularity I need.

Apologies about the rant. :wink:

9 Likes