Discord

This isn’t the case at all.

1 Like

How about an Unofficial Monzo Discord, that anyone could set up? What would your thoughts on that be?

1 Like

If that’s a serious suggestion and not a sarcastic one then yeah I think it would be a good start at least, to someone who’s good at setting up that sort of thing.

There also 2 ‘offline’ but instant Slack channels for Monzo users.

I don’t think adding access-to-a-Discord Monzo channel would dilute this forum (the Slack channels don’t seem to) but it may stagnate through lack of interest in using it.

And it may win over users and become the defacto method too :man_shrugging:

(I am sat well and truly on the fence here)
Fence-Sitter

3 Likes

Ooh, this is new info. Where can one find these Slack channels?

Discord… how apt :rofl::flushed:

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day! :cake:

2 Likes

LOL :rofl:

That’s interesting!! Though am I wrong in saying that slack < discord?

Depends thoroughly on what you use it for, Slack was built and designed for business/teams to replace internal email and improve communication. Discord was originally built for gamers as a better alternative to things like Team Speak.

Whilst they’ve ended up resulting in similar apps, they still offer differing feature sets. Monzo would have opted for Slack for the community channels @davidwalton mentioned as they use it internally for everything by the sounds of it

@BritishLibrary
One here:

And the other:

2 Likes

Curious… How popular is that? And what is the general theme of the discussion?

Seems like a question you can answer for yourself :slight_smile:

Monzo had a Slack workspace that had some channels which could be accessed by developers/invitees. But they stopped access to those channels a few years ago. At that point, two ‘unoffical’ Slack workspaces were born, which have nothing to do with Monzo, other than Monzo employees can be members too.

As of now, I believe only forum Coral Crew members can access the official Monzo Slack workspace - albeit again, via a limited number of channels.

2 Likes

I can’t tell if Discord or Monzo’s own cryptocurrency is the worse money making idea.

The forum is a place to come to for people who already know of/have an interest in Monzo/fintech. It’s definitely not a place for Tom, Dick and Harry to learn about Monzo and decide if they want to sign up.

And the beauty of the forum is that I can leave it then come back later. I don’t want a constant stream of lower quality messages

4 Likes

I wasn’t necessarily floating Discord as a money-making venture (and I agree that the crypto-currency is a terrible idea), it was merely an idea for a way of increasing footfall… as it is an extraordinarily popular platform which is on the up. I guess it would have a positive or a negative effect depending on how many of those new users set up a premium account.

Joining this discussion a bit late but I don’t think Discord is suitable for a bank. I like the idea though

The problem with Discord is you lose threads and discussion and it just becomes a live argument fest

Discourse is much better for a forum / community

2 Likes

One group I’m in uses discord. Don’t like it. It’s not slack

1 Like

It’s highly customisable, I think some groups aren’t fully clued up on all the things that you can do with it (in terms of restrictions and pinning messages and all sorts), but I don’t know what experience you’ve had. I’ve personally noticed a huge disparity between servers run well and servers run badly. It can make or break the server!

Personally I’ve found the forum to be a bit of a live argument fest already (though others will disagree), I’m not seeing much of a difference, except responses tend to be a lot more wordy on here, and it’s a lot harder to navigate, and the search function doesn’t work quite as well.