Direct Debits & Standing Orders (recurring payments) Feedback

Hopefully we can work on Direct Debit retries in the future. It’s not on the immediate roadmap just at the moment, but we’ll keep the community updated if this changes. (Keep an eye on our transparent roadmap!)

1 Like

Personally, I find it really disappointing that things like “beautiful direct debits” are given priority over functional improvements like this, which isn’t even on the roadmap… But, hey, it’s your product …

4 Likes

I’m not sure that this is a major issue. Users receive a notification when the DD / SO fails & can then send the payment manually, right? It’s not a great UX but presumably if it happened often, Monzo would make fixing this a higher priority.

That’s a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison in my opinion.

Just to emphasise - I’m not suggesting that this isn’t an issue at all..

Maybe, but my point is: you only have so much engineering time, and so many issues. It’s a question of prioritising, and I personally disagree with the way things are being prioritised in this instance. I appreciate, others feel differently.

SO: Yes. DD can sometimes be complicated (council tax and utility providers can really cause you trouble if a dd fails, even you make a card payment the same day).

2 Likes

I agree. This area is a huge miss for Monzo. Monzo is more legacy than my legacy bank when it comes to things like this. Really should be a top priority.

Perhaps there’s a disparity between app development resources and back-of-house process development? Who knows. It’s one area where there is much less transparency.

2 Likes

It sounds like you might have missed this :slight_smile:

Just to highlight, Monzo will send you a warning if you don’t have enough money to cover your Direct Debits -

although I’m guessing that this only kicks in once you’ve made 2+ payments…

Yes, I know they do. And it’s sort of a workaround, without really fixing the issue. As such it’s of course better than nothing, but in my opinion still not good enough, when compared to the competition.

1 Like

No, this happens even for the first payment. Direct debits are sent one day in advance to the bank (I guess back when this was implemented it was to give time for the rust to process it), Monzo takes advantage of that for the notification.

2 Likes

What would be great is the option to pay standing orders early incase payday is on a weekend e.g. pay day is 25th, is paid on the 23rd, and you can manually execute standing orders to pay the money early, or to at least ring fence it out of the account to prevent it being spent.

I’m not sure it is retries as much as it is recalls.

With other banks you are essentially put over your agreed limit by direct debits. And if you do not credit the account then the direct debits are recalled (as is allowed by the bank or the customer) to bring you back within your limit. No retries necessary. :+1:t2: I think the change would be to the rules in that only a DD is allowed to put an account past an overdraft limit. And if an account is still over a limit by x time then those payments are recalled.

Edit: also worth adding the above ability could also be customer profile / risk based. If someone is frequently doing the above then disable the option and decline. If they never do then progress as above. Give some users an x DD buffer and others a y buffer based on account history.

Edit2: most importantly show them in app what is due to go out the next day. :wink:

Standing orders and future dated payments on the other hand are declined. But these can be resent manually (or retried depending on how you want to build it)

1 Like

I didn’t :slight_smile:

“Not on the roadmap” isn’t quite transparency in my book. As with government organisations, transparency means that you do the necessary planning to be able to provide a real solid roadmap.

“We have transparency but nothing to tell you” is the same thing as “nothing to tell you” :confused:

I shouldn’t really have to point this out but Monzo isn’t a government organisation. Their plans do change so it wouldn’t make sense to plan too far in the future. They have told you that they haven’t set any solid timescales for delivering this yet so it’s not within the scope of the roadmap. Not telling you anything would not be transparent, telling you everything that they know at the moment is - they have been honest & open.

I’m sorry that, that’s not what you were hoping to hear but accusing them of falling short of transparency is wrong. If your concern is that you don’t think that they’re planning far ahead enough (which you’re not in a position to judge), then that’s what you should say instead.

2 Likes

:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

The government is about as transparent as a brick wall

4 Likes

With other banks you are essentially put over your agreed limit by direct debits. And if you do not credit the account then the direct debits are recalled (as is allowed by the bank or the customer) to bring you back within your limit. No retries necessary. :+1:t2: I think the change would be to the rules in that only a DD is allowed to put an account past an overdraft limit. And if an account is still over a limit by x time then those payments are recalled.

This feels like the optimum solution here as it doesn’t impact Monzo’s real time processing of DDs, or require additional retry/queuing mechanisms.

The other alternative would of course be to allow the user to ‘retry’ the DD or SO payment from a failed notification in the feed. Right now if a DD fails, the user has no obvious means of taking corrective action - and in 99% of cases dealing with phoning up call centres (if you can find their numbers) or going online to make manual payments to organisations is a total non starter for the user.

I’m definitely think Monzo should be doing more here to fix the user experience with DDs. It doesn’t matter if ‘their way’ of real time processing is better because it isn’t what most users have come to expect as part of their banking experience.

I truly believe that Monzo want to give their users a much better user experience than we’ve come to expect from legacy banks and in this area they’re definitely falling a long way short.

I’m not sure direct debits are real time in that way as they are still sent to Monzo as a batch a couple of days before. Which is how they know a payment is due and can send the notifications.

1 Like
3 Likes

@cookywook I guess on improving Direct Debits answer would be same generic one! :upside_down_face:

(We don’t have an update)

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I just said.

Also I don’t see how you can say I am not in a position to judge. I am saying as a customer that I would like there to be more planning so that I can know when a feature which I require can be available.

This is a place to voice my opinion as a customer so I am voicing it. I don’t appreciate being attacked for voicing it, no matter how you camouflage it.

1 Like

I was simply pointing out that you don’t have access to enough information about what Monzo’s doing or their objectives to judge whether they are planning far enough ahead, in order to achieve their goals or not.

It’s not possible for them to set a timescale for delivering every single feature that they’re planning & then share that timescale with us. Or at least they could but that information would be wrong because their plans will change & the timescales would change as a result. And then this happens :tired_face:

TL;DR - Absolute certainty about everything is an unrealistic expectation & will only result in you being disappointed.

1 Like