Direct Debits & Standing Orders (recurring payments) Feedback

I think this is probably covered in this thread. All sorts of ideas have been pulled together in the first post.

Not sure if covered already… but what I’d like is for Monzo to understand my payment cycle. I get paid on the same day every month and my DDs are predictable too. An understanding of my payment and billing cycle where my ‘disposable’ income can be displayed, not just my balance, would be great.

Being honest, I don’t care too much if I have £2000 in my account if I can only spend £1000, because the other £1000 is going on direct debits (although the ability to flick between the two for reference would still be useful).

Sorry if already covered / discussed somewhere else.

Using Pots as an envelope accounting method would resolve this. …if such functionality arrives.

I think this is partly where the pulse graph comes into its own once it gets smart enough to recognises and take account of those recurring payments. Also, one of the sneak peeks a few months ago introduced something called a ‘committed spend’ (I think) which wrapped up all of those regular payments and separated them out (notionally) from everything else.

Now current accounts are launched, it’s all of this sort of functionality that I’m looking forward to.

1 Like

Probably been mentioned elsewhere but DD’s are a mess, a total mess.

CAPS LOCK on the names, no logos and no ability to have user friendly names and no option to group payments should they decide to change name (which has just happened to me)…

3 Likes

Like so many others I have quite a few DDs with Monzo now and they make the whole Monzo experience bit sour.
The interface is ugly, unfinished and don’t tell me they will change this because this should not have been implemented in the first place just a complete mess.

1 Like

I’ve given some constructive feedback to Starling, a couple of months ago, about their payments interface. (It takes 17 screens to set up a new payment in a confusing and ill-thought out workflow).

Both Starling and Monzo need to take a look at RBS and FD apps to see how they do payments. I’m not saying they’re perfect but they are pretty good. I’m really disappointed with the implementation from challenger banks Monzo and Starling, implementation which is sub-par and challenges nothing.

2 Likes

Technically it challenges your brain to get through 17 steps :joy_cat:

1 Like

I don’t think this is Monzo’s doing. My Direct Debit from Bristol Energy isn’t all caps, but my other five Direct Debits are…

Yeah this is the other end I think but just saying it is still an awful look and that we should be able to have ‘friendly’ names

This morning, I had a direct debit declined because of a lack of funds. I also had a payment come in that would have covered this direct debit. Other banks (all of the “legacy” ones, and newer competitors such as Starling) operate the retry process: essentially, they let you know that your direct debit has failed, and give you until at least 2pm to add cleared funds to your account, before then retrying the payment later in the day. This way, any issues arising from not paying the direct debit are avoided.

This issue has been raised before on the forums, but doesn’t seem to have had a conclusive answer. I asked about it in the in-app chat, and the response was less than clear. This is something that a long list of Monzo’s competitors do better – can Monzo match, or better, their competitor’s approaches?

5 Likes

Unfortunately I think you’ve rather answered this question yourself. It has already been raised on here, the feedback has been passed back and it has been agreed that this lack of functionality is not a good UX. Soon, I would expect, an update to provide this will be released.

In addition: https://twitter.com/simonvc/status/936183246450241536

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to the tweet – glad to see that they are looking at this. That being said, the pot shot at Citi is questionable; most legacy banks handle the situation in my earlier post better than Monzo do.

2 Likes

Indeed, this follow-up tweet is a little worrying: https://twitter.com/simonvc/status/936191241489997826

“we’ll just bounce the payment” …

With this being my first month of direct debits coming out of my Monzo account, I’m a bit concerned about the delay some of the debits have taken.

With everything scheduled to come out on the 28th, only one direct debit came out on the correct day. Is this common or should I be concerned? I’ve already paid 3 by card instead of DD this month just to be on the safe side.

I was more surprised by offering a loan to pay a mortgage payment… can’t see that ending well!

1 Like

I’ve always understood the timing to be under the control of the requesting bank so I’ve never worried about it. Timing can be a bit ‘off’ on the first month after transfer in some cases anyway.

1 Like

not sure if i am being a bit thick, but can we see what standing orders have been setup or can we change existing ones?