Diesel Scandal / Compensation

Hi all.

In 2015 I bought a car from VW and then the scandal came out about diesels and emissions.
I checked the car on the VW website and it states my car “was not” one of the affected ones. So I left it and carried on with my daily life.

I today found out that even if your car was not affected you can still claim compensation for breach of contract, you wouldn’t have bought the car if you had of known etc. Blah blah blah.

What does everyone think of this? Is there a claim to be made? Are these law firms true to their word and you pay no fee unless you win?

Anyone every had any experience? Good or bad? Should I just leave it? Or should I try and get some money back if I can?

Thanks.

I thought the official deadline for this had been and gone a long time ago?

Similar to the PPI stuff that went on and has thankfully fizzled out.

I asked the solicitor on the phone today and was advised there was no hard deadline.

It also featured on the Martin Lewis email today. So I don’t think it has passed the deadline .

If you’ve already spoken to a solicitor then they would be best advised to tell you whether it is worthwhile or not based on your individual circumstances.

1 Like

You’ve got to be in it to win it.

Also consider that companies who offer help to win it for you will take a cut of whatever is won - find out exactly what that cut is before you agree for them to go ahead. Lot’s of diesel ambulance-chasing going on…

This is an interesting read, and while never trust it fully, it seems the UK-based proceedings are still going ahead.

2 Likes

Follow what ML said then, it’s pretty cut and dry to be honest and easy to follow

1 Like

Nothing to lose.
Over the past 15 years I have had three new diesel Jaguar XFs and if I am compensated I will say thanks, if not c’est la vie :blush:

2 Likes

As others have said, if you don’t give it a go, you’ll never know.
I can’t see as you have anything to lose :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I imagine you’ll get next to nothing - but something is better than nothing.

I’m not normally one for this sort of thing, but about a year ago I joined the compensation scheme for Payday UK (I had a loan from them something like 8 years ago) and they determined they should pay me 140 quid, but I got a whole 1.34 back.

That’s absolutely disgusting.

I know I’ve had advice from solicitors but at the end of the day I just feel they are going to advise me anything just so they can get a cut of what I’ll get. I’ve looked the fees and they vary between 35% and 45% of what I get.

It states “No Win No Fee” but I don’t trust that 100%. There will be a loophole or something to catch me out

It won’t be a loophole, the manufacturers have done something wrong and it’s likely a pay out will be instructed.

No I don’t mean a loophole in that respect. I know that.

I’m thinking more of the lines of getting solicitors to claim for this for me. I just feel there will be a clause or something to get more from me than they lead on. On top of the 35% or 45%.

If I don’t win anything they will pull a clause that says “oh well this happened which was out of our control so you now owe us this amount” kind of BS.

No win no fee contracts definitely exist and are fairly common for certain kinds of claims. It’s presumably either a CFA or a DBA?

As long as you read the contract closely, along with any terms and conditions they have on their website, you’ll be able to see if there is anything that would allow them to charge you any additional fees. 35-45% of any eventual is a pretty massive percentage already so, whilst possible, doesn’t seem they’d need to get you some other way.

There will presumably be clauses saying they can charge you for disbursements as they go along (e.g. court fees, third party services, postage), but that you would approve first.

And there might be clauses saying that if they have to terminate the retainer due to, e.g. you not giving them instructions, or relationship breaking down, or something else, that they can charge you for their work up until that time.

1 Like