✅ Debit card pot to pay from / spend from pots / pay from pot (Monzo Plus Virtual Card)

So I’m on holiday and I get a bus, is the bus part of my holiday pot or my transports pot, I don’t feel the Ifttt can tackle this as well as a pot toggle can.

You could just start using Pingit for this

https://www.pingit.com/

I’d love for monzo to be my 1 stop shop though…

Seconded.

That said, this is something people have been requesting for a while, to no avail, so maybe time to look at alternatives

1 Like

That edit :rofl: you got what you asked for :laughing:

:rofl: but at least It’s now readable.

Thanks for the edit Will, and welcome to the community!

1 Like

This is exactly what categorues are for

Don’t think so, if I as am on holiday and go for a meal is it entertainment or is it holiday, if I’m on holiday and I get on a bus is this transport or holiday… The list goes on and on.

It’s meant as you wish it to mean since its only for your reference.

I use any holiday spend as holiday category as its a different context to regular spend.

Some have suggested a toggle button for holiday spend so that it can still be split between more meaningful categories which would be an improvement.

It’s far from perfect but its a great tool that’s capable of doing what a lot of people say in the forum they are missing

1 Like

Just checked back to the initial comment i replied to which was about food shopping. There is a category called groceries, so this specific issue is catered for very well.

Monzo could do more to educatedl people on what summary is capable of though

1 Like

How would this work? I wouldnt mind using a third party if it solved my issue.

I don’t know if this has already been suggested (the forum is now way too big to search!) but I’d love to be able to do the following:

Select a merchant > pick a pot to pay merchant from > watch payment come out of pot to merchant.

For example, I’d love my Tesco order to come out of my ‘Groceries’ pot. I’d love my PS5 ordered at GAME to come out of a dedicated ‘PS5’ pot, and so on, and so on.

If there’s a nifty way to do this with IFTTT then could someone give me some tips on how to set this up? Thanks! :smiley:

You can do this, the issue is that it comes out of your main account first. So you need to have the money in your account and pot.

1 Like

You should still be able to search :confused:

But as above, that’s the only way because it’s not possible to check this at the time you make the transaction.

3 Likes

I do this with IFTTT, but they’ve just started charging to use the service and create your own applets…grrrr

Here’s an example:
“If I spend money at BP, then move money out of my Bills Fuel and Groceries pot”

I have a bunch of these set up for vendors such as Tesco, Aldi, Shell McDonald’s etc…

Applet creation goes like this:
If Monzo -> Any Card purchase at a merchant -> Then That Monzo -> Move money out of a pot -> Select Pot -> Select amount -> Insert ingredients -> “AmountInAccountCurrency” -> Complete

This then automates automatic transfer of the amount you’ve just spent at specified merchant from your bills pot to your main account. I have several of these set up and alongside salary sorter and paying direct debits from pots, this effectively automates my personal budgeting. Until Monzo set this feature up in the app, this is a neat workaround.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Really?!!

Used to use IFTTT a lot a few years ago and found it useful.

I wonder how many of the Monzo community will be affected by fees for certain features? Or willing to pay for it?

In fact I only replied to this thread as I was coming on here to see if Monzo have plans to automate paying transactions from pots, and this query popped up in search. Yes, you have to pay to have more than 3 applets and make your own. This only started recently, I’ve signed up for $1.99 (minimum amount as it’s ‘pay what you feel above $1.99’) but I wasn’t happy about paying for something that I was using for free…

2 Likes

I have them set up per merchant, but I have about 7 and I don’t have to pay a penny.

Worth looking into exactly which ones you’re paying for, if you have other applets not from Monzo.

May I politely ask, would you have even begun to use the service if the fee was charged from the outset?

Not wanting to pay for something that was initially free seems a common theme, but I don’t see how innovating companies can even get off the ground without that initial loss-leader.

Honestly?? Probably not. But I don’t mind now that I’m using it. Consider it a 1 year free trial…