Death of Prince Phillip

I’ve been incensed by the trolls on Twitter who were posting hate-filled comments minutes after his death was announced, though you expect it on Twitter. I am surprised though by some of the comments above. A husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather has died today. If you didn’t like him or don’t like the monarchy in general, as @Chapuys suggested maybe it’s better to hold off posting anything. Everyone’s free to say what they like, but it seems pretty insensitive to me.

14 Likes

One piece of good news today.

Maybe you are following the wrong people :man_shrugging: I went to Reddit, expecting to see the above, but was surprised by the overwhelming number of warm and kind posts.

Online book of condolences
https://www.royal.uk/condolence

But seems to be overloaded at the moment.

Someone’s not very happy with some people here lol.

2 Likes

Oh wow, a proper flag fest in here :open_mouth: It’s going to get auto-locked soon if it continues :grimacing:

2 Likes

Seems weirdly appropriate to me, that there should be a lot of flags when a royal dies.

5 Likes

So many people in here just misinterpreting what people are writing. Got to love that on the internet.

3 Likes

I think you need to re-read my post. I did not use the word “hate” to describe the posts in this thread. I described a number of tweets as “hate-filled”. I described some of the posts in this thread as “insensitive”.

5 Likes

Although he didn’t impact my life I do respect the royal family as not many countries have one. At least he lived a long happy life

1 Like

there are 44 monarchies, but there are only 29 monarchs. Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom is queen of 15 other Commonwealth Realms that formerly composed the British Empire

TIL

1 Like

I would assume it’s Piers Morgan since my comment about him got flagged :joy:

Hi Piers, thin skinned much? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t mind people being sad about the death of Phil the Greek Prince Phillip, and I understand keeping coverage all on the respectful side. A man, husband, father, grandfather has died, and that is always a sad thing.

But the more or less state-mandated mourning concerns me. I don’t want the government shutting up shop when there’s all sorts of madness going on in Northern Ireland. Granted, it’s not like they were saying much before, but now they’ve been given an excuse to hide under.

And then there’s this:

It seems almost wilfully cruel of the BBC to not offer any alternative. At least Channel 4 are, apparently, going to let Gogglebox and The Circle go out after all (having removed them from the schedule for a while earlier today).

:neutral_face:

4 Likes

That seems wilfully cruel

3 Likes

I admit it, I laughed. Well done. :laughing:

1 Like

Just found out what would’ve been on BBC Four had nothing happened:

limits

3 Likes

This has been done for my benefit, I believe. Gogglebox is the only terrestrial linear TV I watch. They can’t take that away from me because it would only serve to compound my grief.

Not been a great week four weeks has it. Sabine Smitchz, DMX and now the Prince.

Agree with all of this!

Duke Of Edinburgh award was cool. Did that a long time ago.