Danny's Ice Cream

If ever you’re in Cambridge then make sure you check out Jack’s Gelato!

1 Like

Rum and Raisin or Mint Choc Chip

1 Like

If we are talking Ben and Jerry’s then it’s all about Cookie Dough. For normal ice cream places you cant beat mint choc chip or Honeycomb (which in Northern Ireland we call Pooh Bear).

If you’re in London, the best ice cream by a country mile can be found at http://www.lagelatiera.co.uk

1 Like

I can vouch for that too - one of the main reasons I still go to other side of Westfield Stratford :slight_smile:

I was happy to see that Ben and Jerry’s brought back their mint choc chip - winter wonderland I think it’s called. Kinda underwhelmed.

Is that Gelato or Ice Cream?

Are they the same or not, I swear a different texture to Gelato?

1 Like

Ice Cream. Don’t recall having every tried Gelato to be honest.

This is the one. http://www.benjerry.co.uk/whats-new/2014/winter-wonderland

Minter Wonderland. How could I have missed that…

Gelato is just the Italian word for ice cream :wink:

Yeah but doesn’t it have a different texture?

1 Like

Was talking about this with friends the other day, that’s what they were saying. It’s not quite the same. It seems to be sold as two specific things in the shops.

Yeah I seem to remember it being different when I tried it, didn’t care for it that much.

yep deffo different texture

Traditional Italian ice cream is usually made in a different way… more milk, less cream and no egg yolk. It’s not whipped to a frenzy like most other ice creams so it tends to be a little more dense and more ‘iced’ than non-traditional ice creams.
That said, Italians still call ice cream ‘gelato’ and if you go into any large Italian supermarket chain you might find the likes of Magnum and Vienetta in the gelato section. Not that I have anything against an Almond Magnum, but you can give the Vienetta to the kids :laughing:

2 Likes

Here you go;

Not just Gelato, Kulfi is also different to Ice Cream

Kulfi has noodles type stuff in it I think?

It can, but normally made from buffalo milk without egg instead of cows milk with. Kulfi is made with flour, creamy milk, sugar, flavourings, and nuts. The mixture is reduced to paste consistency and put in a canister in an ice bath. The main difference between ice cream and kulfi is the texture, which also brings difference in taste. Kulfi is creamier than ice cream. Generally, it is made by reducing the volume of full cream milk nearly one third to what was its original volume.

Has to be Haagen Dazs or Morellis for me with Movenpick closely behind