✅ Custom Category Creation

Yeah it and splitting a transaction across multiple categories seems pretty much glued on to be in plus :-1:

I’d be very surprised if it were free.

Since I’ve started using IFTTT to add to Google Sheets, I don’t really care about categories anymore. I have a dozen or so of my own that fit my life, mostly the same but with a few tweeks.

Gives me far more flexibility to look at my data and delve into the nerdy things that I want to see.

I’ve always thought of something like custom categories as the thing that finally makes Monzo’s budgeting feature at all usable. Plus should be extras, not what you have to pay for if you just want tools that work.

This is an iOS-Android parity issue. You can vote for it to be fixed here:

1 Like

The only thing that’s kept me here is the promise of custom categories.(soon) Without them budgeting is useless to most. I’ve never seen anything of value to me in any “premium” account and I am certainly not prepared to pay extra for what should be a basic feature of the budget. If only available to premium, might as well go back to Starling.

4 Likes

I think it’s all but officially confirmed that this will be part of the new monzo plus

4 Likes

I recently gave up waiting. :twisted_rightwards_arrows:

Hi all,

I’ve recently made the plunge (after many years as a bystander) to full Monzo. I use Microsoft Money for my personal accounting - it’s ancient but it works - and the categories create a real issue. With NO CATEGORY the software will usually fill it in accurately, including inter account transfers, but the Monzo General or Expenses categories just get in the way.

Is it possible to remove the category?

Thanks

That’s a blast from the past. I remember getting it free with Windows ME.

To answer your question;

No. Not yet, anyway.

1 Like

You made me look at dates. It stopped being supported 11 years ago! :open_mouth:

I know this doesn’t help but it may just stop working one day :skull_and_crossbones: You can’t even download it anymore. I’d personally start looking at some new software before it’s too late :scream:

You’re right :slight_smile:

But other similar software (e.g. Banktivity for Mac) has the same limitation - i.e. if there’s no category then the field is auto-filled but the Monzo value prevents this.

Ahhh ok that sucks :cry:. Have you considered an online provider of this service? For example, I see a lot of recommendations for YNAB?

Personally I’ve never used anything like but I’m sure people on here could help if you find something similar? :slightly_smiling_face:

Either way, I hope custom categories comes soon too :grin:

What do you do with the data once you have it? What metrics do you like to see?

You could build something with GoogleSheets and IFTT that will probably cover most things and then you can have as many categorises as you wish.

1 Like

Are you using the csv? Usually there is an option to map fields on import, you could just map monzo category to notes or something instead. Alternatively you can edit the csv in excel to remove cols before import.

1 Like

Create custom category names to break down spending more specifically. For example ‘hobbies’, ‘sport’, ‘alcohol’, etc.

Hi Thomas , welcome , there is lots of discussion about the same subject that you would like , I found it by searching using the frying pan

3 Likes

Lots of people requesting custom categories and I agree. The main reason I moved from mainstream bank to Monzo is to help budget. The budget feature is far better than Starling because you can pay bills from a pot and you can set a budget on a category.

So the thing that would make it far superior is to allow custom categories. I’m sure I’m not alone wanting to separate out booze, birthdays and Christmas. So why put a restriction in place? The reason Monzo has given is that they want to take the hard work out of allocating categories. Most people that move to Monzo do so because they want to be in control of their finances and don’t mind putting in a little bit of “effort” to do that.

So take another big step forward Monzo.:crossed_fingers:

1. Add custom categories
  2. at least allow tailoring of category names
  3. allow us to split a transaction across categories

If it makes it easier ignore transfer of historic transactions so at least we can manage our budgets going forward.

If you don’t do it another bank will and it could be a mainstream bank.

Important Note: I would subscribe to Monzo Plus for travel insurance and other goodies (like I did with my mainstream bank). But… If you made me subscribe to get this feature it would completely turn me off Monzo.

3 Likes

What you’ve suggested is now rumoured to be part of Monzo Plus. So once all this pandemic stuff has calmed down it will hopefully be :soon:

Hey guys, a lot was said about custom categories, and add multiple categories in the same transaction. Come on!