Curve chat

I don’t know about Android Pay but usually with contactless it’s £30 limit with card but with Apple Pay you can use it to buy something for £40… £50 with no problems… :slightly_smiling_face: so saved me carrying cards around…

I don’t use Monzo for big purchases, I use my credit card then pay from Monzo to CC :slightly_smiling_face:

I totally agree though… couldn’t wait to get my Curve card… then when I got it… I just didn’t see the point… and how can they make money :man_shrugging:t2:

I hear they are putting a stop to credit card cash withdrawals though? :thinking:

2 Likes

Same on Android (Google) Pay. In fact with Android you only have to have phone screen on no need to use biometrics authentication for anything upto £30. For over £30 you need to do the same as Apple Pay.
I paid more than £400 with Monzo on Android Pay few weeks ago.

1 Like

Where did you hear that? And how? Prevent it altogether? Reduce limits? Introduce fees? Just curious.

As for Android pay: yes, I know you can use it for larger transactions, but personally still don’t see the benefit.i have used it on occasion when I forgot my wallet, or was just holding my phone in my hand anyway but by and large im just as happy paying with my card.

Exactly the same for me. Apple Pay already has the cards I need, and for ATM withdrawals, I have Monzo.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure where I saw it… maybe I imagined it :confused:

But credit card providers don’t like it because it’s not designed for that purpose… it’s a big loophole that I imagine will be stopped when the card providers get wind? :confused:

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure cc providers would like to stop it. However, short of stopping all curve transactions (or marking them all as cash advances) there is probably little they can do.

But, yes, it certainly falls firmly into the “I’ll enjoy it while it lasts” category for me…

1 Like

I think you get get protection. I had a dispute, found curve lacking so I did a chargeback from using Credit Card to claim the Money back from curve. This ruffled there Feathers lol. But my Credit Card Company treated curve as the merchant .

I was wondering how curve would be with charge backs. Doesnt sound too good… did anyone else have any experience?

As for protection or not:

You probably still can get a charge back through the underlying card provider. However, you’ll definitely loose Section 75 protection if using Curve.

MB note that Curve are making a huge deal about their charge back: http://blog.imaginecurve.com/curve-chargebacks/amp/

1 Like

A very very comprehensive brief by Curve
I get the impression from it that I do have protection when buying goods ?

1 Like

Of course they are making a huge deal. By using their product, you have fewer rights in law than you would if you just used your credit card. They need to really sell it. Chargebacks are a discretionary protection and they do fail sometimes.

3 Likes

I am an absolute Curve-Vangelist (it is a term, I made it up just now!) and honestly can’t understand the nay sayers about how this is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. The ONLY issue I have with it is that it uses the new Mastercard network (the same one Monzo uses) set up for this kind of new technology - and some big companies don’t recognise the network as reliable. You can’t, for instance, use these cards with EE. I have the same issue with my business bank accounts because they use the same network. I don’t know the details, just the result.

I now carry one card with me. One. Every purchase that gets made on it sends me a mobile alert (just like Monzo) and I receive a “Receipt” via email. It allows for a better overview of my spending and makes security a whole lot easier. I have personal cards and business cards registered, and even a shared family credit card for emergencies. Online banking is registered through this one card and if it goes missing I cancel the card. Done. I could do the same with Apple or Android (or Samsung… Ugh) Pay, but the card in my pocket simplifies things (and it’s a nightmare trying to fit your phone into that little slot at the bottom of the PDQ).

Curve is everything I liked about the Mondo card (as was) plus more… The only thing that could be better is if Monzo did Gateway Transactions (with my Monzo account being the default and holder of my rewards) combined with a Kerv-type contactless payment ring. Select the account you want to use, then tap to pay or dig your Monzo card out of your wallet.

So if I lose my card, I freeze it. I cancel it. I get a new one. I’ve not lost anything per-se because my ACTUAL cards are safe at home. I can go home and get them and continue as normal. If I’m THAT worried about my card going missing I would normally load a small amount onto my Monzo PrePay and leave that as the default. Nobody can take what they don’t have access to, and £20 isn’t going to go far until I realise my card is being used without me being present.

As for Credit Cards… That’s not my money, so I would never withdraw cash from a Credit Card.

3 Likes

I had high hopes for Curve initially. The thing is, it doesn’t really solve a problem for me that Apple Pay doesn’t. I don’t like to have only one card with me because stuff can happen to that card so I carry Apple Pay, Monzo, and Nationwide credit.

It’s nice to hear that someone enjoys the benefits, though :grinning:

2 Likes

These still have some way to go. I’m on my second one already and it’s starting to show signs of failure. They only last 4 years as that’s the expiry date on the chip. Support from them is also questionable, but that’s a Kerv issue rather than the technology itself.

people keep going on about using ApplePay or AndroidPay instead of Curve, but better Curve. With Curve it always works, paying with your phone doesn’t - when their batteries go flat!

2 Likes

This is the main reason why I like Curve: I get Android Pay’s benefits without having to rely on my phone’s battery which really doesn’t last for half a day any more.

1 Like

Yeah, I used Apple pay for a while but it wasn’t accepted everywhere I needed it to be. Since moved over to Android and not even registered the Android/Samsung apps. The Curve card is accepted where most cards are accepted so that’s no longer an issue. But it’s pretty much the same thing except you’re not restricted to contactless payment. Not everywhere accepts Apple/Android Pay over £30 and with Curve you can plonk £1000 on it if you have the money available.

One other advantage I have been promoting is when you go out of a weekend. Not that I get to go out any more, but I would take a cheap phone with me (not my smartphone) and would take my Curve card with me. Lose it, not a biggy. Move on.

2 Likes

Ha! I signed up for one on Kickstarter about 3 (4? 5? Can’t remember) years ago. They still haven’t sent me it and just ignore me when I ask them about it.

What ring size did you ask for? I finally got a response last month that they couldn’t make a lot of the ring sizes, so I was offered a different size or a refund.

I got a different size, but complained that we should have been informed!

My last conversation was that they “had the ring size, but not in x colour, they could send me a different colour?” I virtually bit the responders hand off… Then no response and no reply and complete ghosting from Kerv. And of course, no ring.

I get that. It’s not a problem for me, but in any case if I used my Curve card, I’d still carry other cards as back up. It would replace two cards with one card, but also mess up the statements as every transaction would be to Curve- or have I got that bit wrong?