Curve chat

Some brands like Klarna are essentially just Buy Now Pay Later products or are mostly known for this so no need to give it another product name like Flex. There are many more examples like this where it is essentially the only part or main part of their business.

Flex is just a shortened version of flexible which is something used to describe BNPL a lot. It’s a good name, but not that hard to come up with.

It’s not even like “Flex” has never been used in banking before, with Nationwide using it for their current account. Different context, but still being used.

3 Likes

And just like that my account is closed. Took 1.5 hours on twitter vs waiting 5 days through email.

The word flex has been used in plenty bank accounts all over the place, it’s just going to be a coincidence that 2 services which do pretty much the same thing have come out using the word flex.

Just seen @Lightning720 pretty much beat me to it and worded it better :joy:

2 Likes
7 Likes

Very interesting that in the credit beta you could get 12 months interest free.

1 Like

Usually beta products are without charges, because it is used as a test bed to prove to regulator that everything works correctly. Ie. On the backend it probably did calculate interest but didn’t charge it. To demonstrate it works correctly.

1 Like

I stopped using curve a while back, cause tymit got Google pay and I chose not to use curve on Garmin watch cause transactions look odd on the card that funds it.

It did look very hard to close. Hence created monzo Virtual card, attached it to curve, deleted all other cards, and then deleted the Monzo Virtual card in Monzo. Such that curve does not have a way to charge me money anymore.

Can’t wait to ditch tymit in favour of Monzo Flex.

1 Like

That’s fair enough but why couldn’t it have lasted until Christmas :sweat_smile:

Some new Curve terms , notably credit card fronting on a metal subscription is only free up to 10k per month now , then 1.5% , and crypto transactions are now allowed.

See below for the full

Summary

As Curve continues to evolve, our product and terms of service need to evolve too. That’s why we’re reaching out to let you know about some changes to our terms of service.

What’s changing?

We’re introducing a £10,000.00 limit to Curve Fronted for our Metal customers. The first £10,000.00 you spend via Curve Fronted per calendar month will be service fee free, but from 1 December 2021 you will be charged a 1.5% service fee on the total transaction value in excess of the limit.

As a Metal customer, you’ll still be saving up to £150 per calendar month compared to our Blue and Black subscription tiers on Curve Fronted spending up to £10,000.

We’re now letting you purchase cryptocurrency with your Curve card. We’ve removed the prohibition in our terms of service that prevented you from purchasing cryptocurrencies, which you can now do at certain merchants (click here for the full list). You should note that your underlying funding card may apply fees and charges when you purchase cryptocurrencies and this may also be regarded as a cash advance on some credit cards. You should refer to your underlying funding card’s terms of service.

Please note that the purchase of cryptocurrencies or any other type of commodity is not covered by the Mastercard Chargeback Scheme rules. In these instances, Curve cannot raise a chargeback claim on your behalf if something has gone wrong. These transactions are also not covered by the Curve Customer Protection Policy.

There’s updated language in our terms and related policies about…

Curve Customer Protection and section 75 protection. Nothing is changing. We’ve simply clarified that when you fund a Curve card purchase with an underlying credit card, your purchase does not have Consumer Credit Act section 75 protection. This is because section 75 protection only applies for direct purchases. However, to ensure you’re covered, we created Curve Customer Protection which protects you for up to £100,000.00 on eligible purchases. To read more about Curve Customer Protection, click here.

We’ve clarified that payments to NS&I (National Savings & Investments) are Curve Fronted transactions when you use a credit card as your underlying funding card. If you make payments to NS&I by credit card, you need to turn on Curve Fronted in the app. Please note that a 1.5% fee applies to Curve Fronted transactions unless you are a Metal customer (which has a fee free limit of £10,000.00). We will be applying the 1.5% Curve Fronted fee to NS&I transactions from 7 October 2021.

We’ve clarified the wording in our Fair Use Policy about what amounts to cash recycling and provided further examples to help you understand what is not allowed. In particular, we’ve clarified that cash recycling includes the use of a credit card to deposit funds via Curve into an investment account and then to other accounts before being used to pay off the original credit card account only to then be circulated again via Curve. You can review our Fair Use Policy here.

We’ve updated the Curve Customer Protection Policy to make it clear that purchases made for the purpose of trading cryptocurrencies or any other type of commodity are not eligible for a chargeback claim under the Mastercard Chargeback Scheme rules. You can find the updated Policy here.

They sent a mass email last week accusing a big chunk of their customer base of a ‘suspected breach of our card terms’ simply for using their Curve card with NS&I (something they’ve actively encouraged).

They backed down soon after, and now a week later they’ve decided that it doesn’t look like fraud as long as they’re getting a cut…

2 Likes

Classic curve

1 Like
2 Likes

Wow!
That is immature. Let me read more into that…

So having read the article i wonder if Curve will take action against Creation as a class action on behalf of all its customers. I know if customers go through the complaints process and to the FOS thats going to be a lot of cases in one go!

1 Like

Here’s hoping a few more banks do the same, see ya later Curve

What’s your reason for wanting curve to fail in the UK?

1 Like

Was Curve breaking some rules? Surely a warning would be a better way to deal with this, followed by a ban if they continued?

I don’t use Curve but I don’t think people should be penalised for using the service if their card works with it.

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but here’s a theory:
Creation aren’t happy that card users are (possibly) churning the money just to acquire reward points.
I came to this assumption as the article specifically mentioned National Savings.

There has always been ways of doing this with other cards, but it is generally frowned on by the card issuers.

So I’m just going to guess maybe people were using credit cards to add money to NS&I and then withdrawing the savings to their current account

Plus getting cashback and rewards at the same time hahaha

1 Like

Curve are not exactly transparent so who knows what they have been doing. However, other credit card firms have not done the same afaik.

It’s one thing for Creation to stop any future Curve transactions with their cards, it’s another to close the accounts of any customers who have ever used Curve…

5 Likes

It is very heavy handed, but reward card issuers have always been pretty robust in dealing with people gaming their system. I wonder if anyone can post the specific terms of their cancelled card? I’m always wary using my AmEx with PayPal unless its eBay in case they decide I’m e-cash recycling.

Feels very much like a case of large legacy financial institutions not paying attention to what’s going on in the finch sphere, then massively overreacting. As other’s have pointed out these transactions could easily be blocked entirely or zero-rated for rewards… Similarly, the ‘offenders’ could have been offered the chance to forfeit their points.