Curve chat

Well you know Curve will continue to be outside of the Curve…

1 Like

don’t know if it is just hearsay, but quite a while back, I remember reading something about warrenty on purchases via Curve card and that because it was not via the actual card itself that companies were rejecting the claim?

like I said, it was a long time ago, it may or may not have been true then, and they may have changed since then

time to look for mine, it is in the house somewhere…

I think you may have been reading about Section 75 protection - which imposes a legal duty on credit card companies in the event of a retailer failing to provide redress.

The law states that the credit provider is made “jointly and severally liable” for the goods/service.

Due to a technicality in the way the law is drafted, using a credit card via Curve means you can’t use this protection.

However, it only applies for purchases over £100 anyway, so there is no difference for small purchases.

Good info in this thread,

1 Like

Me and my wife jumped head first into Curve after we heard about it, lasted a week before we both closed our accounts.

Why did you close your account just out of interest?

And meanwhile here I am, wanting to try Curve, but their US waitlist just isn’t moving. I’ve been on it for a few months now and have remained at the same spot on the list all the way through.

1 Like

I signed up seemingly with no issues, my wife signed up later that day and it wouldn’t let her order a card despite charging her the £5, emailed/online chat with Curve for a solid week before anyone got back to her. By then our £5 promotional balance was expired because you had to make a payment within 7 days of signing up with your debit card to claim it.

Another week later they finally sorted it out and sent her a card but the digital card wouldn’t add to Apple Pay, by the time her physical card turned up my digital card stopped working with Apple Pay as well so we just closed both accounts.

Wasn’t worth it just to carry 1 less debit/credit card.

1 Like

And there it is, the evidence of how charging £5 for a card increases the entry barrier and makes people less likely to bother.

I personally feel this was a mistake for Curve.

1 Like

It depends. Wouldn’t Curve’s loss (posted above) now increase by 5x ? And since the card is free it would probably increase even more by people signing up just for fun without planning to ever use the product.

1 Like

Maybe.

But the product relies on people “giving it a go”, which requires a low barrier to entry.

I think, personally, that £5 is too high a cost for this (even if you can get it back via referral or something).

1 Like

I guess this goes back to the question of what is (or should be) the business model of Curve? “Growth and engagement” clearly doesn’t work out (nor for Monzo for that matter), but it’s uncertain whether Curve provides enough functionality to make it worth paying a fee?

Now that they support Apple Pay I think the 5£ fee can go away at least until you order a physical card.

1 Like

Yes, I think they want to make it into a freemium model but they are struggling to entice enough people to pay for it.

I suppose this is why they keep piling on the features.

I also think there is an element of scale needed to drive costs down - even with cards; the cost would be lower per card, for example.

I see the logic of this but I personally like the Curve card as my physical backup in case of Apple Pay problems, so it would be a shame to make it chargeable.

Hey - has anyone had any issues with Curve recently with transactions being declined in the shop, but still processed at Curve and charged to whichever card you’ve nominated?

I’m getting this constantly now - although only in ‘local’ shop (ie - the corner shop, the off licence etc.). I’ve also waited for a week or so before reporting it to Curve as there’s supposed to be some sort of system where the banks all talk to each other and confirm when something didn’t go through to sort out a refund and nothing happens so I end up reporting it to them.

I’ve had Curve for a very long time - signed up in the beta and used it because back then I still had some cards that were not even contactless. Now I use it on those cards and bank accounts that are not in Apple Pay but I think it’s time to just cancel the whole thing and just have to carry the cards around again…

I recently setup a curve account, I was initially resistant as I can pay by phone but having had three times recently where it’s failed and I’ve had to resort to a manual card, there is a use. It also means I carry less physical cards as the curve card covers most of them.

I didn’t know about the lack of section 75 cover, which is a concern.

Aaron

1 Like

I had this happen the other day.
It got refunded on the card the next day though.

1 Like

Curve credit is in beta

We’re almost ready to launch Swipe Now, Pay Later (from Curve Credit). But we want to test-drive it with customers like you first. That’s why we’re inviting you to apply to join our Beta group. If accepted, you can get up to £2,500 of interest-free credit on your Curve Card and help us shake up the entire credit industry – for good.

You’ve heard of “Buy Now, Pay Later.” But what’s “Swipe Now, Pay Later"?

Well, we made it up.

Swipe Now, Pay Later is how our interest free product works: swipe on any eligible purchase you’ve made with Curve, then split it into manageable monthly instalments.

You’ll need to pass our affordability and credit checks to be eligible for Swipe Now, Pay Later. Checking your eligibility won’t affect your credit score, but taking out an instalment plan might.

Some FAQs
https://www.curve.com/credit-faqs/

Interestingly ( at least to me,) airline or travel agency transactions aren’t eligible.

Full list of not allowed transactions linked in the FAQs is not public for some reason,

1 Like

I have the following showing in my app:

1 Like

Props to Curve, they do seem to be on a bit of a roll atm.

I’m looking forward to giving the Autopilot feature a go. This will allow you to select cards for certain retailers.

Still nothing to make me want to use them for everything (budgeting and account aggregation would have to come a LONG way) but its just good to see progress.

3 Likes