Curve chat

Looks like another potential N26 Metal situation (oh dear!) and may end up with them having to pay out compensation to customers.

Curve really do seem like the answer to a question no one asked. I’m genuinely surprised they’ve made it this far, from an outsiders perspective they really to exude confidence over competence.

2 Likes

I’m a Curve Metal user but seriously considering the worth of Curve at all more and more.

Especially with Covid more and more places are taking Google Pay without limit, it is just as easy to add all the cards to Google Pay and select the appropriate one when paying in store. Ditto for online shopping.

I actually barely use the physical card nowadays.

3 Likes

This was always my thought. Had they started a decade before, pre digital wallets, been ‘the only card you need’ and grown to such a size that when Google/ Apple Pay became bigger people were already using them out of habit I could have seen them having the user base, and strength, to continue to around long term, but sadly when, as you say, it’s so easy just to add all your cards to ‘the pays’ and remove 75% of the benefits of Curve in one swoop, it will have to have some really killer features aside from that to give people a reason, and IMO they just don’t have that do date.

2 Likes

Quick questions for those have a linked credit card in Curve. When making deposits using my curve card into a savings account, will the credit card company likely see this has a type of thing as a cash withdrawal and charge for this? Seems like they might but curve just suggest checking the t&c with the credit card company but I don’t see a mention of this type of thing

Making company not know is Curve Fronted feature. It is without additional costs for metal users, and 1.5% for everyone else

1 Like

Thanks, did some more reading on this and looks like the underlying credit card company can still end up charging for this, so this could end up being quite expensive. Really struggling to find a reason to keep my Curve account open. Oh well…

1 Like

Curve has its flaws but I don’t see this as an issue at their end. If you were transferring cash from a credit card directly into a savings account, without using Curve, you’d be charged for a cash advance by your credit card provider.

Well it kinda is an issue with Curve. Using Curve to topup my savings account will cost me 4.5% vs 3% using the credit card directly for a non-purchase transaction. It just makes me think, whats the point… That is all I was saying

Just got an email offering £10 cashback from Curve if I spend £100 at Amazon in the next 14 days…

3 Likes

I see what you mean. My point is that you’ll be charged fees for a cash transaction on a credit card regardless. But yes, the fees would be higher using Curve as the middle-man. If I was doing what you are, I just wouldn’t use Curve for that particular type of transaction.

Will be taking advantage of this definitely.

Haven’t really used my curve card since basically using G Pay for everything but 10% back for 14 days is good.

1 Like

Curve seems to have launched Open Banking facilities in app today…

3 Likes

and it includes amex :wink:

1 Like

It does balances only for now, hopefully a full transaction list will be something they add later.

Not working for me, unfortunately.

Interested to see them using Plaid, but authorisation goes okay, Monzo and Starling recognise it as an open banking connection, but then the return URL doesn’t work and my details never show in Curve. Monzo and Starling recognise there being a connection to Plaid, though.

Curve seem to be on a bit of a roll with new features at the moment.

As well as the My Money section being launched (whether or not it’s actually working…) they’ve also just released ‘Anti-embarrassment mode’ where you can set a default ‘backup’ card with Curve.

So, if the card actually selected in the app is declined, it’ll automatically charge it to the backup card.

2 Likes

This is a much-requested feature, it’s great they have finally launched it!

I also like how you can select two backup cards, just in case your main nominated backup card is having issues.

What a terrible name, it should simply be called Backup Card although I have found Curve fail across all my cards regardless of available funds in a row before in a store.

1 Like
2 Likes