Curve chat

I read that as the ‘normal spend’ points are available like MR points or Avios, but anything that depends on Amex knowing which retailer you were at will (obviously) not work.

I’ll try it and see. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a comprehensive list of the supported cards.

You’ll still get regular amex/avios points when loading a curve card, but you won’t get extra rewards that amex would offer , for example when they have £10 back on a £20 spend at X retailer because all amex see it you spent money at curve.

2 Likes

No mention of charges for Amex, no mention that you can’t go back in time with Amex, insurance not discussed…

1 Like

Just got this in an E-Mail:

We are extremely sorry that the top-up functionality of your Amex wallet is currently disabled.

Like thousands of other UK merchants, Curve has a valid merchant agreement to accept Amex payments into its e-wallet. However, on Tuesday evening, Amex decided to terminate this agreement and block all Amex transactions to Curve with immediate effect.

Amex has given no good or fair reason for their decision and we believe it is entirely disproportionate and discriminatory to Curve and all our (joint) customers. UK payment regulations clearly state that Curve should be allowed to access the Amex payment network on a level-playing field with every other fee-paying and legitimate merchant.

Rest assured that you can still spend the funds that you have already topped up to your existing Amex Wallets. If you have contacted us for support, we apologise for the delay in response and will endeavour to do so as soon as possible. We will update you as soon as we have any further information.

With your interests in mind, and our mission to deliver a truly innovative product, we intend to fight Amex’s decision with our full might. We believe financial freedom is the future and we are prepared to fight for yours.

Team Curve

9 Likes

Also got it, such a shame,

I would have assumed that curve tried to negotiate better rates from amex due to the large amount of transactions that they forecasted, so then amex would have know in advance what was going on,

They also must have known what curve were upto anyway during the closed beta, and to only shut it down after they’ve released it to the public is unreasonable.

1 Like

Curve have said all along they were working with American Express to bring back Amex functionality.

We are currently working with Amex on making the feature available for the rest of the EEA where we currently operate - but at general launch, it will only be available to UK customers.

Something’s fishy.

5 Likes

I agree, something doesn’t add up here. Although, I can completely see why it is something the Amex would like to stop.

I wonder what this means for Curve’s subscription models?

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out…

2 Likes

I was wondering this. They will have to create yet another sub group :man_facepalming:t4:. Legacy Metal grandmothered perhaps…

3 Likes

Curve team…

1 Like

Call in the regulator!

1 Like

That’s so annoying. It was the perfect companion product to Amex. I guess I’ll be asking Curve for a refund. :slightly_frowning_face:

From a recent email from Curve:

Unlimited Use of Amex®
with auto top-up and no fees (as a Beta feature)

I’ve read other advertising too that was very careful to refer to Amex as beta. My suspicion is that Curve knew that the agreement with Amex was for a limited beta period but they have gone ahead with a full launch anyway. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this if and when more details are released from Curve and/or Amex.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Bypasses there fee’s so why would they allow it ha

1 Like

Yup I just got a grovelling email from them. Oh well

Because, to all intents and purposes from Curve over the last six months, the two companies seemed to be resolving their difficulties.

A salutary warning about building a company upon another’s business, and using the exploitation of loopholes as a main constituent of one’s proposition.

1 Like

If they’d tried and failed with Amex, that would have been one thing.

The appalling communication and delivery, however, is unforgivable and has left a permanent black mark on the brand for me.

1 Like

Does anyone have saved, or linked, the Ts&Cs containing the actual legal status of funds stored from Amex into the Curve top–up wallet, should Curve go belly up?

Edit: OK, so it seems Curve Amex top–up worked under an e–money licence with funds held at Wirecard in Germany. It looks like money would be safe should Curve go bust. I’m not sure what would happen in the event that Wirecard fails.

1 Like
1 Like

Omg, this is straight out of the maybot playbook

1 Like