Curve Feedback

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1146

Can you point me to the official announcement of the change to a subscription model? I’ve had no official notice of it.

(Leon) #1147

No problem. https://community.curve.app/t/we-have-launched-subscriptions/3486

Updated link.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1148

Bit weird to put an official announcement on a community, and not email everyone.

I got mailed :thinking:

(Splodf) #1150

Is this the email?

Anyone else find this coverage a bit misleading?

I mean, you can’t actually charge a transaction to your Amex card, you can only use it to top up. Then the article seems to avoid the fact that you can’t get any other Amex points except membership points and that you can’t go back in time with Amex… And insurance?!

(Sam) #1152

Similarly in the more mainstream media: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-6606993/Use-American-Express-card-earn-rewards-using-Curve.html

(Shreyas Zanpure) #1153

As I mentioned in one of the threads before, I have never seen the point of this card, apart from the only redeeming feature, which is using AMEX where it is not accepted. However, 0.65% is a fair bit, considering I make 1.25% cashback, and would be reduced to 0.6% purely for using AMEX where it’s not accepted. Well, my Barclaycard VISA gives me 0.5% cashback anyway, so all I am losing (if that) is 0.1% cashback, but atleast I am not paying any additional fees!

Got an email saying sorry to hear and asking reasons why, so advised about card fee, subscription fee and no longer required as only 2 cards and Apple Pay now I got a new iPhone XR :joy:

(Kolok) #1155

A ‘feature’ on metal essentially a MasterCard chargeback…

What other types of points do you mean? It’ll work with the BA Amex cards to earn Avios won’t it?

I’m not 100% sure, because the info is so bad, but I don’t think you will

I read that as the ‘normal spend’ points are available like MR points or Avios, but anything that depends on Amex knowing which retailer you were at will (obviously) not work.

I’ll try it and see. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kolok) #1159

Here’s a comprehensive list of the supported cards.

You’ll still get regular amex/avios points when loading a curve card, but you won’t get extra rewards that amex would offer , for example when they have £10 back on a £20 spend at X retailer because all amex see it you spent money at curve.

No mention of charges for Amex, no mention that you can’t go back in time with Amex, insurance not discussed…

(Herp Derp) #1161

Just got this in an E-Mail:

We are extremely sorry that the top-up functionality of your Amex wallet is currently disabled.

Like thousands of other UK merchants, Curve has a valid merchant agreement to accept Amex payments into its e-wallet. However, on Tuesday evening, Amex decided to terminate this agreement and block all Amex transactions to Curve with immediate effect.

Amex has given no good or fair reason for their decision and we believe it is entirely disproportionate and discriminatory to Curve and all our (joint) customers. UK payment regulations clearly state that Curve should be allowed to access the Amex payment network on a level-playing field with every other fee-paying and legitimate merchant.

Rest assured that you can still spend the funds that you have already topped up to your existing Amex Wallets. If you have contacted us for support, we apologise for the delay in response and will endeavour to do so as soon as possible. We will update you as soon as we have any further information.

With your interests in mind, and our mission to deliver a truly innovative product, we intend to fight Amex’s decision with our full might. We believe financial freedom is the future and we are prepared to fight for yours.

Team Curve

(Kolok) #1162

Also got it, such a shame,

I would have assumed that curve tried to negotiate better rates from amex due to the large amount of transactions that they forecasted, so then amex would have know in advance what was going on,

They also must have known what curve were upto anyway during the closed beta, and to only shut it down after they’ve released it to the public is unreasonable.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1163

Curve have said all along they were working with American Express to bring back Amex functionality.

We are currently working with Amex on making the feature available for the rest of the EEA where we currently operate - but at general launch, it will only be available to UK customers.

Something’s fishy.

(Harry) #1164

I agree, something doesn’t add up here. Although, I can completely see why it is something the Amex would like to stop.

I wonder what this means for Curve’s subscription models?

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out…

(Andy) #1165

I was wondering this. They will have to create yet another sub group :man_facepalming:t4:. Legacy Metal grandmothered perhaps…