Curve chat

The original post was pretty reasonable, I thought

fennec_aurora

fennec_aurora

2 Likes

I’ve just had the same thing happen to me. Got flagged as inappropriate purely for quoting what a Curve employee has said. I was giving @megamaster information about what happens with Curve Black now that they’ve changed the pricing structure.

2 Likes

Is their forum particularly sensitive?

On a thread titled [Curve giving away premium for free to new users] the below was flagged as against community guidelines :man_shrugging: he’s only sad he missed the boat on the promo, why can’t he say that?

1 Like

No comment on this bit specifically. But remember it’s hard, they’re launching a suite of new products and services to ensure correct its tested, but no information leaking out. But with the correct information being given etc.

So I think their ‘quick trigger’ flagging is an attempt to do this. Rightly or wrongly…

I was this close to pulling the trigger on Black yesterday, but I’ve now seen comments from you and @megamaster in a thread titled [Anyone-else-less-than-enthused-about-the-changes-to-a-subscription-model]

I appreciate you shouldn’t discuss from the closed Beta :thinking: but… In your honest opinion as a potential adopter, after having read that thread, would you pay the £50 and hope :crossed_fingers: to get grandfathered in to the new benefits, or just wait it out for the official disclosure of subscriptions and take the Blue?

I only signed up to their forum today to continue my research before signing up to the card. It appears I’ve entered at an interesting time :joy:

No.

If you’re interested in Curve, do this. If you’re happy with Blue, all is good nothing will change. Everything else is changing with the subscription model.

1 Like

That’s all I needed to hear.

I’m absolutely interested in the product because it will allow me to carry a 2-3 card wallet instead of 9-10. Time travel is interesting, not sure if I would use it but who knows. Higher ATM limits and unlimited fee-free currency exchange fees probably make Black worth the £50 up front cost for me (which is why I was a little sad I missed out on the £1 sign-up deal).

If it’s likely to force people into a choice of future subscription model, or downgrade to Blue, then I think I’d rather just start out with Blue.

Likely, is a fair assumption to make.

Curve definitely has it’s uses for some people. Some people will love ‘fintech-ify-ing’ normal cards with instant notifications and an app. The foreign FX fees is big for some and irrelevant for others. All depends on the cards you carry and what you use them for.

I was an extremely happy customer with only 2 minor complaints (the app and the customer service), but now I’m apprehensive due to the lack of concrete public information based on the changes.

What are the new fees? Not sure I’ve seen anything

Unless just for black users

Nothing is public, although it sounds like some info may have been ‘leaked’ from a closed Beta

I put this post on the forum this morning, before discovering the new information now currently being discussed.

I can’t see it offering any benefit when the more expensive metal card is released.

A huge one is no annual or monthly fee which metal will have a least one of the above, if not the choice of one or the other.

I would think it unlikely to be completely fee free, given the extensive list of benefits being teased:

Curve goes full metal jacket

We will kick-off 2019 by releasing Curve Metal - the most rewarding card in the market yet. With a seductive selection of colours and superbly-crafted finishing, 1% cashback, unlimited fee-free Amex, unlimited access to the intra-bank rate, gadget insurance, worldwide travel insurance, and collision damage waiver insurance - Curve Metal will truly become the only card you’ll ever need. We will initially launch Curve Metal for UK residents only, however we aim to roll it out across the EEA.

patrice58:

The black card will offer the same benefits it currently does over the free version.

This may be about to change:

Adding more benefits to Curve Black

Worldwide travel and medical insurance (for UK, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Portugal and Spain residents to start with), higher fee-free limits for spending abroad, Amex support for UK residents with £1000 fee-free monthly spend, and more - Curve Black is more attractive than ever. If you are already a Curve Black owner, we will send you an email shortly with more information.

Source for both quotes:

The Curve Blog – 18 Dec 18

It’s been an amazing year at Curve and we’re just getting started

As 2018 comes to a close, here at Curve, we’ve been spending time reflecting on this year’s challenges and achievements. It has been an incredible year of growth for us, both in terms of our customer base and our team. We couldn’t have done this…

First post here, but I’m actually watching this quite eagerly - I have a Lloyds Platinum account currently but dependent on the packaged benefits with Metal, it could be an interesting proposition.

In short, I expected Metal to have fees and was surprised that Black would not, particularly given the upcoming likely benefit of Worldwide travel and medical insurance, which if anything was swaying me more into sign-up yesterday.

Nothing is concrete but given the whole thread title, it’s looking likely they will introduce a subscription for Black.

They are here: https://www.curve.app/terms-compare

@TR1 :point_up_2:

1 Like

That looks public enough for me now!

Thanks @nickh I’ll be making a decision today…

1 Like

Bummer, lack of s75 protection means I’m unlikely to use it for large purchases and does somewhat reduce the use case for me.

2 Likes

If some were annoyed at missing a promo, they’re going to be very annoyed if it turns out they need to pay a subscription.

If Curve is still offering Black for a one-off fee, knowing the new model is subscription, that would be bad… [I’m being polite as possible :wink:]

2 Likes

Please see the information I have received as part of the Beta.

we have updated the Curve Amex Closed Beta Programme

Today we are updating your Curve Amex Closed Beta App’s functionality. We are also launching our new Curve Black benefits, early access toCurve Metal and our subscription model - exclusively to our Beta testers.

We are unveiling the following updates to the Curve Amex Closed Beta App’s functionality:

• Auto top-up is now available
  • You can now add more than one Amex card
  • Balance calculation on your Amex wallet is now fixed
  • You can change your cards’ images and nicknames
  • You can delete any of your cards

We are also bringing additional benefits to our new Curve Black proposition, which you can be the first to experience when you upgrade the app:

Add your Amex® cards
with auto top-up and no fees for the first £1,000 per month

Unlimited Fee-free Spending
on 200+ currencies, with access to the interbank rate

Worldwide Travel Insurance
for you and your family with up to £15m medical coverage

Worldwide Gadget Insurance
for your precious belongings including your current ones

When launched to everyone in the coming weeks, the new Curve Black will be on a subscription-based service of £9.99 per month, without any fixed contract.

As a Curve Black Beta tester, when you upgrade your app you will get six months of the new Curve Black, with all its new benefits, for free . Your first subscription charge will be in six months and we will remind you well in advance. Then you’ll be able to choose if you want to continue enjoying the benefits of Curve Black or downgrade to Curve Blue.

With this update we will also be giving you exclusive early access to CurveMetal, which will be launched on a subscription-based service of £14.99 per month (or £150 if paid annually in advance). As a Curve Black Beta tester you can access Curve Metal with an introductory discount , if you upgrade through the latest Curve Beta App update. We’ll share further details on the Curve Metal launch on a separate email.

Please note:

• This update is currently exclusive to the Curve Amex Closed Beta participants: you are getting these improvements and benefits before anyone else, to help us test them before launch.
  • While we would prefer you to update the app, this update is optional. To opt out, simply stay on the current version of the app.
  • These additional features of Curve Black and access to CurveMetal will be rolled out to all Curve customers in the coming weeks, once the Beta Programme is closed. All current Black card customers will have access to the introductory discounts then.

Curve Subscription

2019-01-18_13-52-14

3 Likes

It’s still available via the app right now.

1 Like

I think they are going to honour people who pay the £50 black fee get 6 months free on the new one

Thanks @ehague, it all looks pretty clear now. Looks like it’s “Blue card - here I come” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Really disappointing.

1 Like

That doesn’t really cut the mustard for all those that signed up for a ‘one-off’ fee.

They would have been better off leaving Black alone and launching 2 new accounts IMO, Metal and I don’t know, some other intermediate, maybe Platinum I’m not a marketer, but something to reflect the fact that they are adding gadget cover and travel insurance in addition to the normal Black benefits (you would reasonably expect a monthly cost for these).

Instead, the message seems to come across as you paid £50 for life, but now you need to pay another £9.99/m or we:

• cut your fee-free ATM withdrawals from £400 to £200
  • cut your fee-free spend abroad from unlimited to £500
  • cut your time-travel functionality from 30 days to 14 days (is this a thing, I can’t see what the time-travel limit was before) sounds like it was 14 previously, so ignore this point

OR, just keep the new benefits exclusive to Metal.

Not the smoothest of transitions for existing customers.

1 Like