Curve chat

It’s in the pipeline apparently.

1 Like

And they also said that Google pay is in the pipelineScreenshot_20181009-154123

1 Like

Looks like there will be a “small surcharge” for Amex… :disappointed:

Curve and American Express are Back Together Again!

Say there may be, it’s just their speculation, although I wouldn’t be surprised.

Curve retweeted this without comment, so I should think it’s probably close to the mark.

If they charge for using Amex - I’m out.

1 Like

I think they also re-tweeted an article which stated Curve-Amex “could” be free for Black card holders (or exclusive to Black card holders).

Until they announce it, it’s just guess work.

1 Like

The only benefit to using amex is the additional rewards over the MasterCards I have. Why would I swap a potential future benefit (the extra amex reward I’ll eventually receive) for a definite cost now?

4 Likes

Unless you’re spending big amounts I fail to see a value in paying a surcharge to get points that hopefully after 2 years be able to afford a one way ticket plus tax to somewhere.

1 Like

Surely something has to give to make Curve + Amex work financially - especially for Amex?

As I understand it, Amex interchange fees are much greater so they can afford the various points schemes on offer. If Amex aren’t getting the interchange (because it goes to Curve at the lower Mastercard rate instead) then things won’t add up…

There have to be fees somewhere in the equation, surely? Either for the customer or for Curve (who don’t seem to me to have a robust and sustainable income model anyway!)

:thinking:

5 Likes

I was thinking maybe it’s worth it for amex to get all of peoples spending data ,not just what they spend where amex is accepted, so they’ve made a deal for cheap processing rates for curve,

Maybe it will just be free or a small surcharge where amex isn’t currently accepted , and the curve on amex will get declined if that place accepts amex ,

That’s what I would do if I was curve.

I got an email from Curve today reminding me I’ve not used them in a while… And saw a few comments about the Dynamic MCC thing and other bits about ATM issues.

I wondered if anyone here has used Curve to withdraw Cash from a foreign ATM, linked to their Monzo account - and how this comes up in the app?

Would this still prompt Monzo to charge a fee if it’s over the £200 monthly limit?

1 Like

Just withdraw a tenner and see! Or, better still, just read all those mystical T&Cs that will tell you exactly…

Just got this mail from Curve…

pJtssk

1 Like

Also just got it, the mark-up during weekends is 0.5 on GBP EUR USD and 1.5% on everything else.

On weekends, which we count as Friday 23:59 - Sunday 23:59, the UK foreign exchange markets are closed. During this time, we take the rate from Friday 23:59 and charge an additional 0.5% for all transactions made in GBP, EUR and USD and 1.5% for all other supported currencies.

Revolut add-on between 0.5% and 2% during weekends depending on the transaction.

From what I’ve experienced and read about Revolut - when you make a foreign transaction on a weekend, they spin their numberwang wheel to decide that you’ll be paying numberwang percent extra for the transaction in case of currency movements (which have a net impact of 0% on them).

If you work out that it was wrong and call them out then it was definitely a glitch and they will look into it :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

3 Likes

got that, but use Curve all the time, so don’t think they are sending out selectively other than selecting customers!!

but then with Revolut you can covert your Stirling into Euros before the weekend if you want to avoid arbitrary markups.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Curve a lot this year, problem-free. With the announcement around FX spend I had a query which, although answered speedily by Curve’s CS, leaves my wondering about the card currency feature which applies to each underlying card.

Perhaps someone can elucidate…

I asked whether, in using my Curve card (with the Monzo card selected) I should change the card currency from £ to €. (In my mind it would negate the risk of being charged for conversion by the merchant).

Curve said leave it as £. So I will.

But what’s the point of being able to change the currency?