Curve chat

What happens if you buy big ticket items through Curve then return them?
Do the refunds go through the Curve card and therefore the 1% cashback gets taken back?

That I’m actually not sure about. My assumption would be that yes the cashback would be taken back . It’s given as points on the curve card and not cash fed back into a card/account

Yes, your cashback is taken from you, if you return an item.

but if you have spent that cash back?

4 Likes

You can’t get blood from a stone…

1 Like

You clearly don’t work for HMRC. The opposite is practically their motto

3 Likes

Indeed, no I don’t thank goodness!

1 Like

Thought of working there but someone told me the job was rather taxing

13 Likes

Boom boom!

1 Like

When you have the card black I think I’ll give you a Higher limits. image

it is nothing to do with colour as they no longer have blue and black, they are now all the one colour

2 questions:

Do I need a Curve card?

• Only have 2 cards, one Visa and one Mastercard, both debit*.
  • Quicker to manually choose card than switch in an app.
  • Always know each balance because one is Monzo and the other always has rent plus emergency buffer or just emergency buffer.

*Do I need a credit card?

• Credit score serviced by redundant overdraft.
  • “0% overdraft” pot in Monzo and emergency buffer on other account cover unexpected expenses.
  • Rent and savings are only regular >£100 transactions, no need for S75 protection. Chargeback available for one-off debit card large transactions.

Do you need curve? I guess noone needs curve. I have several more cards, which I use for various different purposes. Not having to carry them around is nice. Also, the cashback adds up to a few quid a month for me.

As for a credit card: to me it offers these benefits:

• better budgeting (I leave my cash in an interest bearing account until the credit card bill is due, thus gaining around £100 pa in interest on money that I actually don’t have.)
  • section 75 protection.
  • better handling of high authorisations (pay at pump, car hire, hotel, etc), which is admittedly rare
  • cashback (I earn about £10 cashback a month just for my usual spending)
  • it’s supposed to help my credit rating
  • in total I thus gain about £220 pa through use of my credit card. Hardly world-changing, but enough to take the family out a few times :slight_smile:

All of this, while I cannot think of a single disadvantage connected with the responsible use of credit cards. So, in my opinion: if you can deal with credit responsibly (this is really important, as a credit card can easily get you trapped in expensive debt, if you don’t pay it off in full every month) get and use a cashback or reward credit card, if you can.

4 Likes

Tip for getting use of the Cashback quickly:

I use Amazon a lot, so purchase the exact amount on an Amazon gift card as the reward points you have. Then the next time you buy from Amazon you can use that against your purchase.

It’s a great way to easily reduce your rewards to 0 without having to split a purchase over 2 cards.

3 Likes

Or, use your card to top up your starling account using the new “settle up” method - if you have a starling account, of course. (monzo.me is blocked, I think)

1 Like

Do you get cashback on that?!

Cycle (Monzo to Starling settle-up via Curve) and (Starling FP to Monzo)

Cashback is only at selected retailers and I don’t see why Starling settle-up would be in there.

1 Like

No, you don’t. What I mean is, if you have cashback on your curve card, that you want to cash out, you can use your curve card to top up starling from your cashback.

This was in response to @j8joe as a way to convert your cashback / reward points into actual cash.

3 Likes

It’s actually weird that they would do the cash back the way they do it by adding it onto a separate virtual “card” you have to select manually before paying - why not just subtract it from the next transaction automatically?

5 Likes

I’m guessing, because when you use your curve card to redeem cashback, they can still charge interchange while not having to pay it themselves, so they make a tiny bit of money out of it…

Also, because it may have a psychological effect to see the cashback build up slowly, and then say “I get this coffee for free, thanks to curve” once a month, rather than to save 5p on a transaction.

2 Likes