Curve chat

I imagine it’s no longer best practice, even if it’s still common amongst legacy providers.

Switch card numbers used to be the same: Because the long number was largely comprised of your account sort code and number, this couldn’t change when you were issued a new card, hence it also carried an Issue Number.

1 Like

It’s an account number for sure but not the only one. Specifically it’s the PAN (Primary Account Number). But remember that’s primary from a card scheme perspective, not necessarily (or even likely) your bank’s.

Yes. The PAN Sequence Number. Each card with the same PAN should have a different PAN Sequence Number.

The tokenised PAN (aka device account number) is linked to the actual PAN using the methods described in the EMV Tokenisation Framework.

It’s actually all very card-centric.

You definitely could, the Framework is pretty flexible on token location, but that’s not what @Morganleprix - separate PANs for authorised users (which I have seen from a few banks) are a totally different issue to tokenisation for devices, and handed in a completely different way. That said, it’d be cool to see them merged - say, a card that was your own, but you could push a button on it to charge your partner’s account instead. That should be possible, a few different ways technically actually. I have no idea if the card schemes would ever allow it…

Your link falls flat in the first sentence. Amex numbers are fifteen digits. Discover themselves are 16, but Diner’s Club (they own the Diner’s Club network, though not the card issuers, and are pretty much merged) are 14 digits. Except in the US, where the Diner’s Club franchisee doesn’t issue Diner’s Club network cards (they issue Mastercard…).

7 Likes

Thanks @GalaxyMergirl!

2 Likes

I have a Curve referral code if anyone wants £5 in Curve rewards: 1HDMI - it’s easy to remember!

That is much more memorable than mine, which is 5KDHQ - you forget to say that they will get £5.00

Oops. Just edited.

1 Like

I want to love Curve, but I’ve used my card about 5 times since getting it, due to the fact that Monzo is my main account lol

1 Like

Curve is brilliant especially it’s go back in time feature if you use the wrong card to pay with.

2 Likes

Yeh but who does that? And if you do, just transfer some money to cover it :S

I’ve been stoozing a credit card for the interest myself but I have to pay a £50 per month minimum. In order not to lose £50 a month, I use Curve to spend that £50 on another card and when direct debit goes to pay for my minimum I timeshift the £50 spend back onto the stoozed credit card. I don’t always need to do it.

I’ve also paid something in Curve on my credit card (below £100) and decided later to use my current account instead to pay it.

2 Likes

Oh look :point_up_2: somebody that does!

1st example is a very niche example

2nd example is good, but he could have just made another payment on to his credit card for that amount.

No need to be sarcastic.

Like I said, I like Curve. It just has zero benefit to me. My girlfriend uses my revolut card, any money that comes in to my Nationwide account moves straight over to Monzo (the only reason it isn’t closed is because of CASS) & I am fortunate to not have credit cards! :grinning:

1 Like

Your comment was just as condescending so I replied in kind. At least however mine was condescending WITH facts.

If Curve has no benefit to you then that’s wonderful but it does to a lot of people. Horses for courses perhaps?

Another general note (not aimed at anyone in particular) I have been taught from a child that putting the word and after a full stop is a huge faux pas. I have seen it done quite often and the child in me is like :open_mouth:.

1 Like

And you are quite correct. I do it myself from time to time, but I don’t worry too much about my huge faux pas. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t because I think writing and speaking well is a great skill to have, which is becoming less and less important. It’s a shame.

2 Likes

And language evolves. But some people can’t keep up.

3 Likes

It never fails to make me laugh when people try to turn wrong into right and get defensive when told otherwise,
carry on people as it just makes me shake my head.

But Leon tings r alws improving doe. It’s u dat can’t keep up. Indeed…Yes it’s my fault for not keeping up with the world that is slowly but surely turning grammatically illiterate.

Welcome to the race to the bottom.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll be happy writing as Shakespeare did.

Grandad.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha ha that’s nothing to do with full stops and what to write after. Come to think of it I don’t think Shakespeare broke those rules either.

There’s a difference between the language used in an academic essay and the language you use online/ in a conversation. In simple linguistic terms, a lot of written conversations online behave more like conversational speech, especially in their structure/ grammar/ reduced formality. Starting a sentence with a conjunction is one of such conversation markers.

While you would obviously avoid saying things like “gr8” in a formal letter, I think it’s rather ridiculous to expect one to type in perfect Queen’s English online, or get angry when someone isn’t adhering to grammar rules.

Also, like Dave pointed out, a language that doesn’t evolve is a dead language. Prescriptivism can be kept for education and building a solid foundation to play around with language later.

8 Likes