Curve Feedback

Curve introducing a 1.5% fee if you use their card with places like HMRC with an underlying credit card.

Having voluntarily destroyed their main USP, I suspect their business is about to take a sharp downturn come January

6 Likes

I stopped using Curve a while ago. It’s just a useless novelty now.

2 Likes

That’s really disappointing, seems very unecessary.

You’d think it would at least be free for those who are paying them £10 a month for debatable benefits!

3 Likes

I use it for negligible cashback from some of their legacy Curve Black retailers. I also have it for Google Pay with Dozens. Though not that I use Dozens these days…

Curve isn’t a viable standalone business imo. If they’d gone full financial hub then maybe. But it’s just a bit rubbish.

(If the tech is good, I’m down with Monzo buying them at a knock down rate and integrating the concept. Spend on other cards with your Monzo card anyone?)

1 Like

I dont know how they can charge a surcharge given its illegal in the EU to charge a fee based on card type.
They have now removed the articles but they thread still seems to be living until the lock/delete it:

I cant get over how much Curve mess up their communications.

I’m gonna use up the curve cash I have and ditch them I think. Really running out of reasons to have it.

3 Likes

If you want a quick way to use it up, create a Monzo.me link for the appropriate amount, and pay it using your Curve card :+1:

5 Likes

Genius - worked like a charm. Thanks!

The FAQ page is back with some very many minor tweaks

But like you, I can’t see how this charge complies with the relevant EU and UK laws.

Does this mean that they now submit a non-cash withdrawal purchase code to the underlying credit card, leading to the transaction being recognised as a purchase? Thus, they charge the 1.5% fee for this service and keep it for themselves?

I don’t think this involves any changes on that side. It’s a fee imposed unilaterally by Curve

1 Like

Just had an email off them,

For our Curve Blue and Curve Black customers, government-based payments made with a credit card e.g. HMRC, will now carry a 1.5% fee.

Seems like they’ve clarified it and it’s just for government.

For now…

As well as the 1.5% charge, there are unspecified changes to their privacy policy and only 15 days notice of these changes - I’m not actually convinced that this notification complies with FCA rules

Excuse my ignorance, but could you elaborate on this please?
I can’t seem to work out how to send the Monzo.Me link to myself

Get your monzo.me link, for example monzo.me/Ivan (or whatever it is) either paste it into another device, or if you are using the device that has monzo installed, you must use incognito (as otherwise it will open the monzo app and say you can’t pay yourself)

You can then checkout with your curve card and the money will land into your monzo account.

A tip here, open the curve app and make sure the card it’s charging to isn’t your curve cash , then fill out the card details on monzo.me , and right before you click ‘pay’ switch the underlying payment card to the curve cash one.

This is due to active card checks which may take £1 and refund a few minutes later, as that eats into your points balance temporarily.

4 Likes

Many thanks
I sent myself the email link, and paid myself via my laptop.
Worked perfectly :grin::grin::grin:

Now to work out how i’m going to blow the £13.70 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On a serious note though, I think that’s my time with Curve finished.
Now the cashback bonus is gone, I really can’t see any real value.

I am always open to suggestions if i have missed something though.

2 Likes

I haven’t used Curve in ages, but they sent me an email the other day offering 500 points (£5) if I use my card.

So I’d advise you to keep the card, as long as you are not paying for it, even if you don’t use it.

2 Likes

Totally agree used to rave about curve, I’m classed as legacy black nowadays as not going to pay for
Their premium account, apparently I still get the Cashback from the old companies (Argos, just eat, B&Q, Wilko etc) however I’ve tried and it just doesn’t update even though their customer service said it will still give me points anyone have this same issue? I’ve retired the card to the draw as like others don’t see any real value to them anymore seem to use airtime rewards to get more already got around £40 from them so it all adds up. :dollar:

Please let it be so… Fitbit Pay! :watch: Can anyone in this community, verify this works with a Versa 1 or 2?