Current Account - Partial Switch

That’s useful to know. Thanks @glasgow. It does answer some of my questions, but not all.
Additionally, it would be nice if we have any time frames for full completion of such switches.

Partial switches don’t get completion dates so it’s just completed when it’s completed by your outgoing bank.

You can see more information on the differences between the services here:

https://www.bacs.co.uk/services/accountswitchingservice/pages/accountswitchingservice.aspx

How do I set up a partial switch? I can’t seem to find any option in the app to do this.

Under my profile there is a setting entitled “Switch to Monzo”. If I tap on that I get an info screen with only two options ‘Cancel’ or ‘Continue’. If I click on ‘Continue’ I get to another info screen. Again, the options are ‘Cancel’ or ‘Continue’. If I then click on ‘Continue’ I get to a screen where the options are ‘<’, ‘Learn more’ or ‘Start Full Switch’.

Where is the option to start a partial switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure that you can at the moment. There have been some issues with them I think and as they’re not guaranteed in any way I suspect Monzo may have stepped away from offering them.

I wonder if it’s possible by contacting In app support? Maybe they can initiate it from their end :thinking:

I believe they are trialing removing the option due to reasons specified above.

Sorry about the confusion here.

We’ve decided to only offer full current account switches now.

We previously offered partial switches but these occasionally proved to be unreliable for our customers. With partial switches there is a reliance on merchants to update the payment details before Direct Debits are taken, occasionally they did not do so which meant some customers had unpaid Direct Debits through no fault of their own, and got charged fees for these.

You can still make a full account switch, this will move all your money and payments to Monzo, and close down your old account in 7 days. Full switches are much more reliable as payments are centrally redirected, and you’re also covered by the Current Account Switch Service Guarantee so if anything does go wrong you won’t be liable for missed payments.

If you don’t wish to switch your whole account, we’d recommend manually moving individual payments instead. You can do so by contacting each merchant for Direct Debits or by visiting the Payments tab for standing orders.

9 Likes

Excellent. Always thought partial were a recipe for hassle.

Thanks for this @simonb I was sure that this had already happened but couldn’t find an official post on it! :muscle:t2:

I did a manual switch, and it was significantly less hassle than I thought it would be.

14 DD’s took little more than an hour - The worst was speaking to Nationwide :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, it was my NW mortgage that gave me the most panic when I did it, partly the size of it (and so potential impact of a mistake) and partly the conversation where the person on the other end was explaining that she’d never done this before…

4 Likes

Yeah, for me it was 2 things.

1. Spending 30 mins on hold.
  2. We have 2 mortgages… they only moved 1 of them :see_no_evil:

Luckily I left money in the Nationwide account because I half expected someone to mess up somewhere - I didn’t expect it to be the 1 bank I needed to call :joy:

1 Like

How do you partially switch?? Only option seems to be full?

Partial switch has been removed. See above post.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Annoying. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Id be interested to know if in the future, with time and resources, anything could be done to improve the partial switch by Monzo?

I’ve found them very useful for consolidating certain types of spending in my Starling account.
Also, shutting down a bank account can cause real hassle, e.g. if it is the nominated account for a savings account.
When I did partial switches to Starling, I got notifications for a few direct debits telling me to double check they had actually gone through. In fact, some merchants had just created a brand new direct debit instead, leaving a couple of ghost DDs on the account.

1 Like

Having just completed a partial switch from Starling to Monzo I can agree that it is far more hassle than its worth. You don’t know that the DD’s have failed until the companies involved start to chase you etc… Would be far easier to do it manually.

Fingers crossed there are no additional charges/late payment notices etc.

2 Likes

I agree - I did a partial switch from FD and not everything moved over. Either go full switch or do a manual switch.

For clarification it was the companies that didn’t update rather than Monzo.

I did a partial switch from Starling and this didn’t cause me any issues.

1 Like

This should probably be updated then:

Screenshot_20180824-212107

(From https://monzo.com/features/switch/)

NB: this link was just on Monzo’s instagram story.

2 Likes