Crowdcube investors - regular updates 📬

Now that Monzo is preparing to raise a new round of funding (ÂŁ22m, of which ~11% through crowdfunding), I would expect to see some updates about the company financials and future plans coming out soon.

However, since the first crowdfunding round - except for the information publicly shared in this forum - I haven’t received any update about the progress made by the company… :thinking:

As an existing investor (that is also thinking about continuing its investment again), I think it would be great if Monzo could share more regular updates about the performance of the company with individual Crowdcube investors, as it is normally done with institutional investors.

This could be done via email, through Crowdcube itself, or opening up a section of the community forum only to individual investors.

@tom / @tristan you’ve done a great work with the community, keeping the conversation open while getting people involved… are there any major blockers in getting more transparency for Crowdcube investors?

1 Like

It’s always interesting to hear more about Monzo’s performance as a business & I’d like to see more too! On the plus side, Monzo are more transparent than most already :thumbsup:

There’s a couple of ways that you can find updates in this community -

• If you search in this community for :newspaper, :tv: & :radio you’ll find a large collection of news articles, talks & podcasts with insights into Monzo.

• I’ve also adopted the Number of Monzo Users thread, to track any metrics related to Monzo’s growth from this post onwards. See this, this & this post for example.

• The team have started to create more infographics with insights so hopefully they will share more soon

Having said that, I wouldn’t expect Monzo to start sharing any special insights, exclusively for Crowdcube investors soon. Since any Monzo user (including the members of the Starling team who have signed up :wave:) can invest, they obviously can’t share anything commercially sensitive with the investors, as it’s pretty much guaranteed to make it’s way to competitors.

So if you want those insights, I expect you’re going to need to find a few million pounds from somewhere unfortunately. And in the meantime, Monzo can carry on sharing it’s updates with all users which I’d argue, is more consistent with their open approach.

If there are any particular insights that you’d like to see, it can’t hurt to mention / request them though…:bulb:

2 Likes

I thought Monzo would publish their financial etc for all investors, that way we can better determine if we want to commit more money.

The point below may not be as relevant as I know that BrewDog share their financials will ALL investors prior to any share sales and on a regular basis. They appear to be very transparent and do not seem to worry if any competitors have access to same.

Having said that, I wouldn’t expect Monzo to start sharing any special insights, exclusively for Crowdcube investors soon. Since any Monzo user (including the members of the Starling team who have signed up :wave:) can invest, they obviously can’t share anything commercially sensitive with the investors, as it’s pretty much guaranteed to make it’s way to competitors.

I expect they’ll provide something along these lines ahead of the next Crowdcube round, as they did last time -

That’s slightly different from providing ‘regular updates’ though.

My first reaction to this is that the industry which Brewdog is operating in is quite different to Monzo’s but I could be wrong!

I expect they’ll provide something along these lines ahead of the next Crowdcube round, as they did last time

Totally forgot about these documents. I think this will satisfy most people if Tom shares them again.

Totally forgot about these documents. I think this will satisfy most people if Tom shares them again.

Brewdog are in a completely different industry, but my point was more that they shared their financials (which I agree Monzo have and probably will going forward) despite being in a very competitive industry too.

1 Like

Thanks for that :slight_smile:
Even though, if it would be nicer to see numbers coming from official sources, rather than having to rely on bits and pieces and then having to guess.

My main doubt was as well connected to the fact that competitors might receive some information that you might not want them to know about… but it’s a choice to collect funds through crowdfunding, and that choice comes with some aspects that you should be ready to embrace.

[quote=“alexs, post:4, topic:7663”]
I expect they’ll provide something along these lines ahead of the next Crowdcube round, as they did last time.[/quote]

As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, I also expect Monzo to release more updates on Crowdcube as the new round opens to the public.

However, what was shared during the first round was more of a pitch / business plan. Now that the company has opened up more (and it’s preparing to launch current accounts) more concrete and regular updates would not hurt.

Done already a while ago… :sleeping:

2 Likes

any company can have shareholder who may work for or have close contacts with competitors not just banks. The point made was valid as other companies (who presumably are equally concerned about competitors and protecting their products) have released updates on CrowdCube to let their investors know what is going on. With some it may be ad hoc when certain things happen but with others a quarterly newsletter. Not all incestors may want to sit on here all day digesting developments in the company

That’s not exactly what I was driving at. If someone’s invested a lot of money & owns a large portion of a company, then obviously it’s in their interest not to share commercially sensitive information with competitors.

If anyone can access that information for as little as ÂŁ10, then that incentive is no longer there.

Which point?

I’d like to see these updates shared with all users :slightly_smiling_face:

The point that investors in a firm could leak information to other companies.

1 Like

While as a customer I like the idea of Monzo being open and transparent (which it is), I feel investors should be party to more information about company plans and projects that they may not wish to tell all customers and hence the general public. I am not saying they divulge the minutiĂŚ of something but give investors a broad brush picture of what is going on behind the scenes

1 Like

Whilst I love this idea I do however think that revealing certain information could be seen as a breach in competition law and the banking industry is really clamping down on these things.
I don’t know what they can and can’t reveal but it’s something to consider

Tandem and other banks reveal actions and plans and stuff to their investors so I don’t think that excuse holds up to scrutiny

as I said they probably can reveal quite a lot but its something they need to consider

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.