Cricket World Cup Final šŸ

Not a huge cricket fan but I think this was probably the most epic sporting final ever. Both teams played well shame they canā€™t just declare joint winners :smile:

1 Like

I believe this is the first time itā€™s been used to decide a 50 over game. But I understand it has been used a lot in Twenty20. I donā€™t watch Twenty20 so yesterday was the first time Iā€™d heard of it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen it a few times in the IPL

1 Like

Itā€™s only the first time in ODI 50 over cricket as it has never happened before, it is quite common in 20 over matches especially with the IPL.

I hope that it makes cricket more popular with the masses and we go back to having more free to air matches.

Yeah, thatā€™s what I said :grin:

1 Like

As Iā€™ve said I think it was an awesome display of top level cricket throughout the world cup and a final that was very fitting. It can only be a good thing for cricket and sport as a whole.

One of the most amazing sporting events I have ever witnessed. If someone wrote that script for a Hollywood cricket-based movie they would be told it was too far-fetched!

In terms of the game, and tournament, being decided on boundaries, I have no problem with that. I donā€™t see it as being that different to two teams finishing a Premier League season on the same points and the title going to the team with the biggest goal difference.

1 Like

Just a simply incredible match, somehow even topping the 99 draw.

But personally, I think deciding the winner in boundaries is farcical. Itā€™s feels like stopping the tennis at 12 all in the fifth and just giving it to Federer because he hit more aces.

If there had to be a tie breaking factor, surely it has to be wickets lost. Cricket games have been won for centuries by runs or wickets.

And for everyone saying that it encourages more exciting cricket, why was net run rate used in the groups? Net run rate literally ruined two potentially exciting chases as the teams sat just defending wickets. The whole argument is such a red herring because the entire reason the match was so great was that it was a low scoring contest where boundaries were so tough to get.

Iā€™m as chuffed as the next Englishman that we won, but something tells me that everyone wouldnā€™t be banging on about ā€œeveryone knew the rules beforehandā€ if it had gone the other way.

1 Like

The super over then boundaries have been the rules for years in a drawn game in ODI and T20 cricket. Even at the amature level I play itā€™s what we do in cup games.
Test matches and games with 2 innings are different with separate rules.
The ICC decides the rules with input from all cricket boards so all teams know the format completely before competition and fans also have access to the rules.
The reason wickets donā€™t count for much is that the ODI and T20 formats rely on runs scored inside the allowed overs.

1 Like

Imagine Geoffrey Boycott in a super over :see_no_evil:

1 Like

So Ben stokes has been put into a poll for best New Zealander of the year. (He was born there). Brilliant he snatches the world cup from them and then could get voted to win in this poll :rofl::rofl:

this is exactly what I was thinking! if theyā€™d chosen the side that hit the fewest boundaries then thereā€™d be a lot of grumpy englishfolk about

Haha. I think cricket fans tend to be a little more humble than some other sports fans. Kind of have to be with English cricket, I mean even the captain is Irish.

All that great cricket at the world cup, then we play Ireland and are all out for 85. Absolutely dismal.

Iā€™m not a cricket aficionado, but does that mean Ireland are world cricket champions now?

Donā€™t have to be an aficionado to understand this :rofl:

Letā€™s assume that youā€™re a football aficionado and know that France are current World champions. In September France will play Albania. If Albania won against France, that wouldnā€™t make Albania new champion :slight_smile:

A bit more detail on the current match between England and Ireland: This is a test match and England are One-day cricket champions. Ireland has not won yet because the match is only in itā€™s 2nd day :wink:

2 Likes

MMA math would suggest otherwise :wink:

All about that P4P champion rankings!

Yes

Yes we are

1 Like

But itā€™s like being world champions at 5 a side football then having a bad first half in your next 11 a side international.