CreditLadder Q&A

Capital One should be able to accept you. Heck they accepted me with absolutely horrible credit, so you should really not have any issues getting their card. Just pay it off on time and enjoy!

I plan on getting one from my current bank next term & foresee no issues in doing so given they’re constantly advertising it to me in app, but I’m specifically interested to know if this provides another complimentary option for Students to build credit early.

Not everyone will be comfortable taking out a Student Credit Card when young as opposed to just a standard overdraft, so this could be a lucrative market for Credit Ladder should they market it in a similar fashion as storage providers like LoveBox do on campus.

1 Like

I just want to say that when I had problems I received great service from CreditLadder and the problems were fixed. And I got help within minutes of having an issue.

1 Like

That’s fintech for you. :wink:

Thank you for the kind words :pray:

Hi Theodore,

It does! When you register simply email help@creditladder.co.uk with the instalment amounts and dates then attach your tenancy agreement. If you don’t have that yet we’ll contact the landlord. We’ll then verify this information and set up your rent schedule to match. We can then read these amounts when paid to your accommodation provider.

If only more students knew about this!! So much rent is being wasted and not included in their credit reports. If all students came out of uni with a good record of on-time payments I’m sure lenders would look on them more favourably. Once it’s set up just update only when you move.

The rest takes care of itself allowing you to enjoy your student years! We’d love to get you on board.

1 Like

Love the theory behind this but I don’t think my landlord would know what to do if he was asked for a tenancy agreement :smile:

Also wouldn’t work for landlords who only take cash

2 Likes

I’ve been paying my rent for the last six months via Credit Ladder. Is there any benefit to me hooking my Monzo account up to Credit Ladder and paying my landlord directly instead of paying via your (now) old-fashioned way?

Hi Stephen,

We’re finding more tenants prefer to pay their landlord/agent direct. Bank reading is therefore proving to be our most popular option. Both payments through us or having payments read go onto your credit report.

Thanks,
Asa

How statistically significant is rent payment when it comes to assessing credit risk though, when the data CRA holds on rent payment is opt-in?

This data set would be biased as people who pay their rent on time would be more likely to declare it, but people who routinely miss their rent payment wouldn’t declare it.

If this variable is not statistically significant, then it’s quite unlikely it’ll help my “credit rating”?

The only bit I see rent history being useful for lenders is assessing affordability - it would give lenders a very good idea on someone’s living cost. But I’m still a bit skeptical on how this could help assess credit risk… :thinking:

It may not have much bearing on loan applications but perhaps useful in mortgage applications

Does it matter that it’s opt in, considering no data at all is just as suspicious as bad credit? Good payers will get ahead by declaring their rent, bad payers who don’t opt in will remain at the same place as before.

3 Likes

Once we have more information from lenders on this we will share. The aim of the Government Rent Recognition Challenge which we are part of is to help improve credit worthiness, not just for mortgages. We think this is the way it will pan out also.

1 Like

Hi @asakb ,
Now you are reporting to credit file, what would happen if anyone rejoined from prior to the reporting? Would you match up the information you had from previous tenancy or is that forgotten data now?
(Hi btw - been a while! ;))

Hi @Dannytc!

The rental payments are treated as blocks of credit on the file. So if someone has reported for a period that is one block which will be on their file. Then there will be a new block from when someone starts reporting again. I know of no negative to this assuming all payments were made accordingly. It’s a really exciting time to get on board and report we have some exciting features arriving later this year :rocket:

1 Like

I have quiet a large block of rental from what seems to be just before you started reporting, not sure if they’ll show up !

Might come back onboard very soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

If these were reported through CreditLadder then they will have been loaded onto your Experian Statutory Credit Report (the £2 report). We can then help you record your future payments when you are ready. We can’t wait to welcome you back :blush:

You don’t support all UK banks am I right in saying that?

Correct. I don’t think Creditladder works with Coutts.

2 Likes

That is correct. We have over 95% market coverage to date. The rest are being worked on in order of demand behind the scenes.

I would reccomend personally that if your bank is not supported do consider switching your rent payments to Monzo. I have personally done so and all of my banking in fact. I find it very easy to manage and use alongside CreditLadder. disclaimer - I don’t work for or receive any commissions for reccomending Monzo.

4 Likes