CreditLadder Q&A

Hi @asakb, I started using CreditLadder last week.

Just a suggestion when you connect to bank accounts you are able to import and view all previous payments with the same reference CreditLadder should be able to at least show all historic rent payments as well. Maybe you can report old payments to Experian but it would be good to just have a view in CreditLadder.

Hi!

Great feedback and something that we are working to deliver. This will support the backdating of rental payments but requires some admin/tech to support multiple tenancies stretching back over time. Also, it’s not widely supported by the credit reference agencies. Again something that we are working on.

I’ll input this into our product discussions for sure! Thank you. Appreciate the time taken to provide the feedback.

So Asa got back in touch with me. Sorted my problem out and rectified any of my issues. Very helpful and speedy. Very appreciative. Would recommend creditladder!

4 Likes

Hi Matt!

I believe the service you may be referring to is deposit free renting which is something separate. There are a number of providers in that space with a mixture of loan and insurance offers so best to shop around for full info.

It will show as rental payments but is treated in a similar way to bills.
Please see my earlier comments to Rjevski which should explain further how Experian treat rent.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Actually, totally unrelated to the above, but I’m curious - do you only support future rent payments or do you also report past payments before the user signed up for CreditLadder? Let’s say a Monzo (or Starling) customer has already been paying rent from their account for a year but signed up just now - would you report only payments after the signup date or can you report the entire tenancy (at least from when they started paying it from their connected account)?

Hi! Currently, we only support future payments. We are planning on supporting back payments and this is involving working with the credit reference agencies to support this also. If you are interested please email help@creditladder.co.uk with your email and I’ll add you to the launch list.

1 Like

I’m personally not interested (see my comments above and elsewhere on my opinion on CRAs) but once this feature is released it will be a life saver for a lot of people with bad or non-existent credit.

I understand and we agree. The amount of rental payment history wasted is crazy for those who lenders usually ignore.

1 Like

This could also be a good marketing campaign - fix or improve your credit with one click* :+1:

*assuming consistent rent payments and a modern bank account :wink:

What do you do with all the data you get from having read access to the bank accounts of your users?

How do you decide if a payment is late? If my landlord, for whatever reason, asked for rent on a different day, or if I asked them if I could pay later one month, will you always record that as a late or failed payment? If I want it entry ‘corrected’ will it be a pain to get you to update my credit report?

1 Like

Hi!

Our system uses a matching algorithm to locate the rent. Once located it’s matched to a tenancy and the information stored as a rent payment. We then report this monthly to Experian.

Furthermore, if the date you registered to pay on requires adjustment we simply need email proof of the arrangement with the landlord. We update the expected rent date and as long as paid on that day all is ok. Otherwise, it’s classed as late. As it’s received after the agreed rent due date.

Corrections are handled between CreditLadder and Experian using an agreed process. We find as long as a tenant ensures that CreditLadder knows when the rent is due then all will be in order and you would expect no issues.

1 Like

You didn’t really answer the question.

Are you saying you only locate the rent payment in a user’s bank statement? You pay no attention whatsoever to overall balances, or other transactions, their value or their location? The only piece of information you take and do anything with, even if just storing, is the rent payment?

I guess the second part means if you have any sort of flexible payment date with your landlord then this service isn’t for you then. Like if you pay your landlord the day after payday, or the other examples I gave.

1 Like

@asakb I am getting conflicting email one saying ‘We were unable to see you rent payment this month…’ but another one saying ‘We have received confirmation that your rent was paid on time’

My payment was on time but something is not right at the backend. I think when an account is active and someone clicks Application again on accounts page, your system starts processing this as a new separate application without checking if the account is already active. Disable the application once the account is active or warn before creating another application.

Good morning!

When customers join they have to provide us with express permission to read their bank statement for the sole purpose of having their rent recognise. We can confirm that we do not use the data for any other purpose. Any engagement we have with our customers will always be based on them opting in. I hope this helps clarify.

Corrections are simple. We have a link directly to Experian’s operational team and can handle it all through a secure portal.

Thanks very much for your interest and comments. It’s a really exciting time for us and we are seeing record interest in our service.

Good morning,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are planning on making a change to the application function this month! This will resolve this issue as you are not alone in your feedback :slight_smile:

If you can help me on help@creditladder.co.uk and I can look into the email. We are finding some accounts are not matching on the reference as it differs on the first payment to that registered. But we adjust the algorithm and it then matches automatically thereafter.

Thanks in advance,
Asa

Already emailed.

Also feedback on emails :smile:

When I sent an email, got two automated confirmations of email being received first generic thank you for contacting us etc… and then another with the ticket number and same information repeated in the first email. It would be better to just have one automated email.

Perfect, thank you.

Regarding the email auto-responder, this must be since we moved to Zendesk. I’ve replicated that issue and the second email has been disabled! Thank you so much. This feedback really helps us to make improvements.

How come your privacy policy contradicts this? The firm you use to collect information can do this apparently:

“Data they could collect includes but is not limited to: - Personal Information - Account Balance Information - Bank Account Information - Transaction data”

You’ll also use data people give you to try to sell them insurance.

Just to re-confirm, we don’t use any data we collect to sell insurance. We
offer tenants contents insurance on our site should our users wish to get a
quote. You can see this from the offers section on our website,
https://www.creditladder.co.uk/offers

In order for tenants to connect their bank account to CreditLadder we use
Open Banking compliant APIs through an FCA approved business. As part of
this process we collect information that allows us to report rent payments.
As you point out this includes personal information - we do this to verify
the account holder and to ensure they are also the tenant in question. We
also review transactional data in order to pull out the rent payment.

As mentioned before, all the services we provide are opt-in.

Are you a tenant yourself? Are you interested in our service and improving
your credit history through rent? If so, feel free to contact me directly
on help@creditladder.co.uk and I’ll be more than happy to assist.

Does this service apply for fixed-term rent payments/instalments on Student Accommodation?

Other than Student Credit Cards, young people have a difficult task building credit, so I for one would be interested in knowing the answer.