COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Although the news the other day implied that immunity started to vanish around 3 - 4 months in infected patients, will just have to see if the immunity from the vaccine stays at a high enough level

There’s a really good long-read here about the Oxford vaccine that isn’t behind a paywall.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-15/oxford-s-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-coronavirus-front-runner

1 Like

Will the vaccine be mandatory ? I wouldn’t feel comfortable having a vaccine as we don’t know the long term effects of it

Then are you planning to not leave the house until you find out ? Because you could become asymptotic and give it to someone else who hasn’t had a chance to get a vaccine etc.

2 Likes

That’s a very valid point . I’m guessing we will have to wait until we know the details

I’m a very empathetic sort of guy but at the end of the day you have to look after yourself first and foremost

The other problem I have with it, they say finding a vaccine usually takes years but somehow they’re gonna make one in a fraction of that time? Also there are gonna be companies who will be benefiting from a so called vaccine

Wait, you won’t have a vaccine because it might not last a long time? I’d have a vaccine every bloody month if it protected myself & others.

What a strange view to have on vaccines.

3 Likes

No. I said because of the potential side effects

Yes it can take a long time, however this is one of those scenarios where the whole world is basically trying to work towards a vaccine for a virus that’s effecting everyone.
Also, a crap ton more money spent towards it compared to normal.

“So called vaccine” ? Unless you’re planning to get yours off a random website and not through some sort of government means then I don’t see this as an issue.

Why would this be an issue ? Scientists have to work as well, they need money for research and development. Meaning they’ll need to get money somehow (Scientific groups part of larger companies).

2 Likes

Which is your choice to make.

We all have a social responsibiliy to decide if we have vaccines and I’m very much of the opinion that we should all have those offered unless there’s a good reason not to (i.e. the risks outweight the benefits).

When it comes to the new COVID vaccine (if and when it’s available) then safety of it is something that will definitely be on people’s minds as new medications and treatments have a higher risk of causing unknown issues.

3 Likes

Well in my opinion it would be for profit rather than for the health of the people

Based on what exactly?

Because companies are there to make money and not look after people ?

So you’re thinking that the vaccine won’t be as safe/effective/something because companies want to make money?

The pharmaceutical industry (at least in Europe) is highly regulated to make sure you don’t die trying to ration your insulin because you can’t afford another vial (recent US case)

2 Likes

Well yeah partially
The fact is I don’t want something ( vaccination ) in my body which has only been around a few months

I understand the concern here, but if pharmaceutical companies don’t manufacture the vaccine, who else do you think might have the capacity to make billions of doses?

3 Likes

I agree with that. In my case it’s the virus I don’t want so I’ll take something more benign to keep it away from me.

1 Like

By… injecting the virus as a vaccination? :wink:

1 Like

One can’t begrudge the pharmecutial companies a little bit of profit for their work. Research and development isn’t cheap, nor is manufacturing to large scales. I would hope that political pressure worldwide would guard against any company trying to profiteer on any vaccine.

Yeeees. I see a flaw here…

Actually, some of the trials are working on different methods apparently. Not my field…

1 Like

The two do not have to be mutually exclusive, pharmaceuticals are most certainly not my field, but I would imagine that the R&D on drugs causes a lot of money to go down the drain, so I don’t begrudge the companies seeking some profit on the ones that are successful.

Plus as others have pointed out, at least we live in a very heavily regulated region of the world that protects the people from too much profit at the expense of consumer health in the medical industry.