COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I tried the RedBubble masks; still like the designs, but found that to wear they’re a tad on the small side. They’d either be slipping off my nose or not covering my chin enough. In their case it would seem their ‘one size fits all’ skews to smaller faces.

Got some Reebok ones instead (identical to the Adidas ones linked just above) and those manage to cover me properly. Helps that they’re available in two sizes (Large and Medium) instead of trying to split the difference in one size.

1 Like

For this I think a distinction needs to be made between a ‘face mask’ and a ‘face covering’.

A medical grade mask is a regulated product that provides a high level of protection and is only necessary for those in an extremely high risk setting (medical workers, people carrying out C19 tests etc). You don’t need this for going to the shops - save the stocks for the people that need them.

A face covering (which can either be one of the many options mentioned above, a scarf or homemade out of an old t shirt and a couple of rubber bands) can help to prevent you from infecting those around you in situations where you can’t stay 2m away. There’s, obviously, no shortage at all of these and in my opinion it should be a requirement for everyone to wear one when they’re inside in a public space. As they’re not fitted tightly to your face they shouldn’t be uncomfortable or present trouble breathing* etc.

*Some people with compromised respiratory systems might find these a struggle but honestly, they shouldn’t be put in a situation where they are risking being less than 2m away from other people anyway.

If I can add, wearing a face covering won’t ever actually cause you to have trouble breathing, really. It can feel stuffy and uncomfortable, but it won’t stop you moving air, it won’t suffocate you. The idea that putting a mask on means you’re blocking access to oxygen is a myth put forward by crazy people, to be honest. We’d have no nurses and doctors left alive if that were true.

And as noted, if you’re someone who has such a severe respiratory issue that masks do genuinely present some kind of hazard to you, then you should be shielding and not going out at all.

You’re coming at that from the perspective of somebody with a healthy respiratory system - unfortunately not everyone enjoys that.

1 Like

I acknowledge this in my last paragraph.

1 Like

Yes you do, apparently I’m just being argumentative this morning :joy:

1 Like

If your flying I’d recomend a medical grade mask. Some airlines (Air France for example) insist on this and will offer a replacement mask if you are not wearing a medical one (though they only judge by what it looks like).

Flight we were in was full 3 seats each side of the isle so you are in close contact with people for quite some time. CDG Airport was a nightmare, very crowded and many not wearing masks or any type of face covering. It’s mandatory but not enforced.

Bloody Hell that is frightening! I can’t really imagine a higher risk (public!) place than an airport and I would have thought controls would have been strictly enforced. Does the airline industry WANT to be wiped out by another global lockdown? :rage:

I’m very lucky, everything I need is within walking distance of my home so I won’t be on any kind of transport until it feels safe (whenever that may be) but anecdotes like yours are really troubling.

I went with this one

1 Like

I wish I could wear the Adidas/Reebok ones but I can’t with the logos :frowning:

Looks like handing over your data to get into a pub is going well. GDPR?

Yikes.

This is partly why I avoid mainstream social media networking, and when I do take part, I remain pseudonymous.

I stick to iMessage and Signal for my family and small social circle. If anyone else I don’t know or trust asks, I don’t have an email or phone number, nor do I use social media. I don’t plan to be venturing to any public places anytime soon anyway sans a hair salon.

Inconclusive.

1. I admit I don’t know 100% how Tinder works, but with other networking sites on the internet, “haven’t used it” is not necessarily the same as “removed my account.” For example, I had a [redacted] account when I was a teenager. Haven’t used in in a decade or more. But it’s still there and someone could still reasonably have seen it the other day.

2. Facebook uses location matching to suggest friends (among many other things). It’s not uncommon to see someone down the pub and then have Facebook later suggest them as a friend (there’s usually some degree of a friend of a friend of a friend connection as well, in my experience).

So it could well be true that the bartender did indeed make the connection that way rather than by misusing track & trace data.

HOWEVER. It’s still a fucking catastrophic error of judgment by him. The ‘just because you can, it doesn’t mean you should’ test still applies. So even if there hasn’t been a GDPR breach, it is behaviour still worthy of censure and hopefully she complained to the management at the pub.

tl;dr, ugh, men.

6 Likes

I don’t think his first paragraph of “I definitely didn’t use track and trace” would stand up in court :rofl:

6 Likes

I recommend giving false information, if a pub insists on taking details… Mostly I was concerned about my details being used to send me ‘special offers’ but this kind of thing is far more dangerous.

1 Like

Yep if I went anywhere that wanted my details it would be fake name and number, I certainly wouldn’t be trusting a boozer with my information.

Reminds me of the time I was sat in the barbers and they had a sponsorship form on the coffee table in front of my full of customers names, address and phone numbers of people sponsoring them for whatever it was.

1 Like

I was in a cafe today and they had an open book by he till with names, addresses, and phone numbers on display. As I had my phone ready to pay, it would have been trivial to get a photo of the previous customers’ details.

1 Like

I was in the Chinese a few weeks ago and someone was ordering on the phone, and they repeated all their card numbers back to them.

That poor person could have thousands taken and they’d never trace it back to that being the cause.

An alarming number of small takeaways that accept card payments do this over the phone. This is where the benefit to disposable cards come into play.

Doomed for a while yet from the looks of it

Immunity to Covid-19 could be lost in months, UK study suggests