COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Ok thanks :blush:
Yeah Iā€™m aware Leicester has had a second wave. Letā€™s hope itā€™s not as bad as the one weā€™ve just had

I hate to be that guy but I would bet money on the fact that the second (or third) wave will be much worse than the one we are currently riding.

There might be localised spikes in the next few months which with a bit of luck can quickly be suppressed. But once the cold and wet season starts, there will be lots of flu cases demanding NHS attention on top of COVID and weaker immune systems will mean people are more likely to catch one/both and do worse.

And if people continue to behave like complete idiots in pubs, it will be so much worse. We were lucky as it got bad once the weather was warming up

3 Likes

Interesting article here

Coronavirus: Majority testing positive have no symptoms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53320155

Pubs open and everyone doing what they want is going to end in tears.

I was shocked to read that only 3 pubs shut down across the country as a result. I expected more.

Might be worth noting that there were plenty of pubs who chose not to open just yet (several near me felt they still needed to get their procedures in place properly/train their staff, and at least one said it was because they felt it irresponsible to reopen on a Saturday). Which means that, as a proportion (of open pubs), three could still be quite high.

Also, thereā€™s a whole week yet for even more to realise they have to close again.

Indoor gyms, swimming pools and sports facilities can reopen from Saturday 25 July.
Check with your gym for more details as some may reopen at a later date or may not reopen again at all.

1 Like

Got a mask on order seen as though weā€™re about to be told no mask no shop, Iā€™ve had a few disposable ones hanging around for use at the barbers and thatā€™s the only time Iā€™ve worn one, canā€™t keep up with the disposables if I want to go to the shops though

Itā€™s clear masks arenā€™t going to catch on organically, so will have to be forcedā€¦ I was out shopping todayā€¦0 masks in sight, and many of the shops have removed the one way systems and 2m rules. Weā€™re heading for disaster if this carries on (Iā€™m genuinely surprised weā€™re not seeing an uptick in the figures yetā€¦ itā€™s levelled out and stopped dropping but thatā€™s it).

I donā€™t know why they donā€™t just make it compulsory to wear a mask/face covering (obviously there should be certain exclusions, restaurants etc). So long as using anything like a scarf is acceptable I donā€™t see any problem. Itā€™s been fine for public transport. They should have announced a date ages ago to allow businesses to prep coverings for their employees.

Iā€™d say roughly a third of people are wearing masks at the supermarket I work at. Half of them are wearing them incorrectly though. Seriously, it does go over your nose tooā€¦ And donā€™t take it off to talk to me. :confused:

1 Like

Too early to see any change on data yet

This is whatā€™s been done in Scotland since Friday.

I take mine off to sneeze. Is that wrong? :tired_face:

It can take up to 14 days between catching the virus and exhibiting symptoms. Give it another week and then weā€™ll be able to see if thereā€™s any sign of an uptick (or perhaps more pessimistically, how big the uptick might be).

Itā€™s already on the increase in a number of places, my local council area is currently surrounded by other authorities with high cases whoā€™ve had the army drafted in to run pop up testing centres.

Quite literally within 6 mile distance thereā€™s 3 areas surrounding us all with high number of cases. Iā€™m sure it will jump the invisible border soon enough

I find wearing a mask difficult because of my asthma, so I bought a t shirt instead :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

What reusable masks have people been buying which are good?

I think the difficulty is knowing if a mask is effective. There are a lot of variations out there. I suspect some offer little protection whilst others are good but itā€™s difficult to tell. There is a European standard and Iā€™ve been looking for those that meet that. Though I have a box of others that look and feel exactly the same.

A basic cloth mask is better than nothing. Iā€™d leave the proper medical masks to those who need them. If youā€™re just going to the shops a scarf, reusable cloth
covering/mask or readily available disposable one is fine.

The governmentā€™s advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-safe-outside-your-home/staying-safe-outside-your-home#face-coverings

Most supermarkets now seem to be selling disposables. Etsy is pretty good for handmade, reusable cloth masks. Amazon ones have tended to be too small for me/most of the people I know.

3 Likes

Agree re cloth mask for normal day to day use in UK. Iā€™m abroad at the moment, surgical masks recommended in some instances and Iā€™m in and out of hospital.

I like the Adidas ones, I find them comfortable

https://www.adidas.co.uk/face-covers-m-l-3-pack/H08837.html

2 Likes

Red bubble as well.

1 Like