COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Oh, I see, sorry I misunderstood. The government’s page on the scheme implies that if you didn’t submit a tax return for 2018/19 you can’t get the funding, but I haven’t looked into it in detail. Seems that there should be a way to account for people who started as self-employed in 2019.

As for how to submit a tax return, it’s fairly straightforward. Head to the HMRC website and it tells you how to notify them that you’re self-employed.

1 Like

And Matthew Hancock

Wouldn’t be surprised if half the cabinet have it now

I’d recommend hiring an accountant, that’s what I did for my first one this year. Just give them all your invoices and receipts and they’ll handle it all.

Think I paid around £90 but they pay for themselves as they saved me hundreds. I now have peace of mind that it was all done correctly and I won’t be hit with a unexpected bill at a later date.

1 Like

I think so. They’ve been living in each others pockets lately.

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1234828026933805057

Hancock still doesn’t look like he knows where he is right now but also managed to acquire a test.

Expect we can wait a few weeks more for Grayling’s announcement as he’s always late with everything.

4 Likes

They haven’t made contact via email.

My comment was based on the content of @RogerB email.

Tesco in my town had two queues. One small one for old people and on long one for everything else.
Aldi was a lot quieter.

Post office is closed so can’t send parcels. The collection point however is still open so you can still buy stuff off the Internet

I know. That’s why I posed. Their email was probably a scam.

No, it’s not a scam, it’s a genuine email from HMRC. Not sure what the issue is, HMRC frequently send out emails to remind you about filing self assessment, updates, pointers to online help guides. This email simply links to the gov.uk page that has details of the scheme.

1 Like

Thanks, @jzw95 - we got there in the end. There is a long list of e-mail types that HMRC frequently send and a helpful guide on how to spot the SCAMs and phishing e-mails that purport to come from HMRC on their website. R-

2 Likes

HMRC will always send you a letter with an intention to call you if I remember correctly

The Department of Health rejected high-level medical advice about providing NHS staff with certain protective equipment during an influenza pandemic because stockpiling it would be too expensive.

Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to “reconsider” a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an “economic assessment” found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would “substantially increase” the costs of stockpiling.

The documents may help explain a devastating shortage of protective gear in the NHS that is hampering efforts by medical staff to manage the Covid-19 virus pandemic.

Not surprised to read this about Hunt.

2 Likes

US based analysis and borderline hysterical but an interesting read with a pinch of salt nonetheless: https://www.salon.com/2020/03/27/trumps-death-cult-finally-says-it-time-to-kill-the-useless-eaters-for-capitalism/

I can’t help but suspect that this is a marketing gesture. Vodafone are offering vulnerable customers (who are likely to be self isolating at home) 30 days free unlimited data. It’ss nice gesture, tho.

Coronavirus: Vodafone offers 30 days free mobile data https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52066048

2 Likes

It’s a nig ironic though, that for most they will be using very little mobile data, due to being at home and having WiFi :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wonder if we’ll get an app notification in monzo about the increase in contactless limit. Seems like a perfect opportunity to encourage people to use card payments when possible, too. P.S. please don’t use cash at a till if you don’t have to. :pray:

To help with some of the discussion around HRMC communication and the virus Monzo have released this blog post today.

Again, it would have been helpful to post it on here but it seems like they’ve forgotten and just done it on their social media accounts again:

1 Like

Has anybody here had flights cancelled due to Coronavirus and successfully recovered their money?

I’ve had two bookings with British Airways cancelled so far. I submitted for a refund for the first 13 days ago and the second 7 days ago but I’m yet to get a penny back and as you can imagine they’re pretty impossible to contact right now.

I’m wondering whether to get AMEX involved to try to recover the money from their end?

Note that I requested refunds not future travel vouchers.

I’ve also got bookings with British Airways, easyJet and Eurostar (via Nectar) coming up next month. I’m expecting all of them to be cancelled - I just hope it’s not as much of a pain to get my money back!!