COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

There is no more info

It’s the anti-vaccine loons. Ignore them

8 Likes

Well yeah I thought so. The majority of people I know have all had vaccines with minimal side effects

3 Likes

Checking daily until it let’s me book this bloody booster. On the plus side I know my NHS number off by heart now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

There’s still a permanent thing opposite No.10 with signs about 5G. I didn’t realise anyone still believed in that until I cycled by it.

2 Likes

I doubt even the people protesting believe it, they are just saving face.

2 Likes

I still haven’t heard anything from my GP surgery but I got an NHS email a couple of days ago inviting me to book, so I’m having it tomorrow morning.

Oddly enough, it’s at the pharmacy next door to my surgery…

I’ve had the text to say I’m eligible it’s just not quite hit the 6 months yet, about 8 or 9 days out.

Got my booster (Pfizer) and my arm now feels like somebody punched it, hard. Also feeling very warm and sleepy. I had no reaction to the original AZ jabs.

My sister (physiologist/biochemist) says that a Pfizer booster on top of two AZ jabs elicits a powerful immune response…

Well that’s good long term I guess!

Possibly inconvenient short term

Interesting! So they’re actually going to be mixing the vaccines then when it comes to boosters!

Not sure how comfortable I am with that. Have there been any studies to back up this approach?

AFAIK, Pfizer has only been approved for use as a booster for those already vaccinated with Pfizer in the USA.

I’m not sure if it’s embarrassing how far behind we are with boosters, or if it’s a good thing and it’s due to vaccines being sent where they’re needed more? But in the USA, my friends, my age and in good health, had their boosters months ago.

It’s fine - my sister has access to a lot of research and it’s as safe as having a 3rd dose of the same vaccine.

They’re using mRNA vaccines as the booster - so either Pfizer or (a half-dose, I believe of) Moderna, the latter being more potent than Pfizer. Testing showed that the mRNA vaccines gave the best immune response, regardless of which double vaccine was previously given.

There’s a very small chance of myocarditis/pericarditis with the mRNA vaccines (around 4 cases per million) and it tends to be mostly in younger men, so that counts me out :grin:

2 Likes

My ex-partners mum, aged 60 and vulnerable, are in a part of the world where they haven’t been vaccinated yet. There are plenty of modern hospitals in their city that could store Pfizer (before anyone goes down that ‘there’s no freezers in the third world’ stuff), there just isn’t a vaccine. We are all incredibly worried - she will need to isolate for another several months, or be at strong risk of serious illness again this winter.

I find it kind of grotesque we are doing 3rd jabs here honestly. I know everyone wants the best protection etc. And this probably replicates the way we treat food supply, energy supply and stuff, but still given there is still a limited supply available of these; I’m not sure it’s fair.

We could probably have the same impact on Covid this winter if we just wore masks and socially distanced a fair amount.

Edit: that isn’t to blame anyone for taking them when offered. My feelings are about government policies not personal choices

8 Likes

So no AZ at all? Any research as to whether it’s better to get Moderna if your vaccinated with Pfizer, or Pfizer if vaccinated with Moderna, or does it not much matter?

Agree with all of this. You don’t see it getting much coverage in the media either. So we only learn about these things when people like you hop onto the internet and inform the rest of us. It’s a shame. Are we, as a country, even doing anything at all to help places like that?

1 Like

Still not much data from the perspective of a third dose but mixing between Pfizer and Moderna has been the norm in Canada. A significant group of people got Pfizer as a first dose and then Moderna as a second (due to having a shortage of Moderna until around May/June and then a Pfizer shortage starting late May). Some also got AZ as a first dose and then pretty much all of those got Moderna of Pfizer as a second. If you’d like to see the efficacy data I’d check out Respiratory virus dashboard | alberta.ca

A lot of emerging data though does suggest that Moderna is the most effective vaccine of the three (at least at full dosage).

3 Likes

I’m nervous about a Pfizer booster as I have a history of allergies and my brain can’t move on from the anaphylaxis risk with it. Plus my friends sister got the heart inflammation side effect from her initial Pfizer. I was hoping for a third AZ.

(I know these risks are teeny tiny but anxiety isn’t always logical).

1 Like

Speak to your doctor. I know that initially health workers with a history of allergies had to take the AZ not Pfizer. This could have changed as more information about risk has been collected

Yeah that’s why I had AZ in the first place. I’ll ask questions when contacted :blush:

1 Like

Oddly, I wasn’t asked about allergies yesterday - just if I’d had Covid symptoms or was on blood thinning medication.

Morocco is banning flights to and from the UK, because of our rising number of infections. Meanwhile our government, doesn’t want to listen to anybody, and continues to refuse to invoke any extra restrictions.

I hope more countries decide to shut their borders to us. Might shame the idiots into doing something about the rising infection rates.

Meanwhile the NHS is getting to the point, where it’s ready to collapse yet again 🤦 you’d think after 2 years, politicians would be able to grasp simple concepts of disease control, and when to invoke extra protections.

Simple things such as you must wear a mask, WFH where you can, blah blah.

1 Like

I watched Sajid Javid’s press conference earlier. It was basically how things are pretty bad at the moment, the pandemic isn’t over, things could get much worse but we’re not going to do anything about it other than ask people nicely to get vaccinated and take precautions.

Then on the news there were palace receptions and crowds of MPs in the Commons with barely a mask in sight apart from the opposition.

An absolute s**t shower.

4 Likes