COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I do wonder how this is going to work long term.

Take Glastonbury for example; If you’re vaccinating the vulnerable and elderly first, that group won’t have much cross-over with a festival. So does that go ahead still because the most at risk are taken care of? Do they think by June that a large % that need it, will have had it? So everyone else can carry on as they were?

I hope it won’t come to a “we’ve taken care of the vulnerable, the rest of you do whatever you want” situation

Sadly I think that’s the attitude that a lot are going to have.

Until they give it to their Nan who hasn’t got the jab yet because she didn’t meet all of the criteria.

1 Like

Will all those In the higher risk categories get a letter from the NHS suggesting a vaccine?

Or who falls into the 5%

Or the hospitals start filling up with younger people/they drop out of work for weeks with Covid symptoms

1 Like

I can’t think of any good argument for such massive restrictions on normal life once everyone who is at high risk has been vaccinated.

4 Likes

Frustratingly I’m starting self isolation today as my partner has tested positive. Don’t know if that means I’ll be eligible for a vaccine if I end up testing positive too.

Great news for everyone else though - there’s finally light at the end of the tunnel!

At the moment, I think every adult is eligible. This might change further down the line.

I don’t know if I should get a test. I feel a bit crap and had the shivers for a day or so. But no cough, change in sense of smell or taste and my ancient thermometer isn’t showing anything.

I am frankly terrified of tests though – what if I actually get infected from a contaminated swab!?

I know work are saying you can’t have the COVID vaccine within 28 of having the flu vaccine.

As for if you’ve recently had COVID :man_shrugging:

My bf is feeling generally run down with a slight sore throat. None of the main 3 symptoms.

What makes you think you’ll get a contaminated swab? :confused:
They’re individually sealed and opened when you drive up. I’ve had 6 tests so far so I have some experience!

Anxiety, I guess! And horror stories from the early days of national testing programmes where I’m sure there was an article about huge batches of tests arriving contaminated from China

Didn’t they send a bunch of contaminated swabs to uni students by mistake?

Edit: found the story. Only a handful of tests…

1 Like

Ah good point. I guess it comes down to your concept of risk. I imagine in the grand scheme of things those contaminated tests only accounted for a tiny amount of tests in the country.
Personally I think I’m taking a bigger contamination risk every time I order a takeaway :stuck_out_tongue:

Literally saw this thread on the most recent and was about to say the exact same thing! :rofl:

I don’t know, could be an anxiety thing. Plus I don’t really want to know if I have it until I have clear symptoms. Currently I just feel a bit shit but can’t measure a temperature and only have a light cough every now and then

I get the anxiety thing.
Personally my anxiety would be worse not knowing…

I think by June the rollout should have been sufficient to allow things like Glastonbury to go ahead.

I can see the next few months are going to be a slow rollout to high risk groups, but by March-April it seems likely we’ll have the doses and infrastructure to go a lot bigger. Some of the vaccine centres they are setting up should be able to vaccinate several thousand people a day, for example. I can certainly see them being able to administer around 40 million doses in the next six months - which should be enough for life to resume to near normal in the UK.

The only think that can ruin it now is the anti-vaxxers, if their lies get a hold of the public consciousness, we could be near permanently crippled with no solution.

Not taking any sides here but how do you know they’re lies and that the media are being truthful?

Science.

6 Likes