Core App: Better payments

Yeah I’ve nearly badly messed up on that before. References sometimes seem to change, especially if you edit a scheduled payment. In my case, it was to an account that wasn’t mine and the reference was needed to route the cash. I’d got an old reference saved, so things very nearly went horribly wrong. Needs to be robust!

2 Likes

What happened to me is a LOT of money did go missing. It was only thanks to the building society saving the day and allocating the funds manually.

(I mean, the money would have likely bounced back to Monzo, so it wasn’t a disaster, but it was a scary moment when I realised what I’d done).

1 Like

Yeah that shouldn’t happen. Bad Monzo.

I mean…I take full responsibility for not being more careful :see_no_evil:

Music to my ears this is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Same situation. Irritatingly, she accidentally paid hers one month from our joint account, and now when I pay my credit card from my personal account I get her reference. And I can’t delete it. Irritating and has resulted in paying the wrong bill. Pretty basic stuff. Please fix!

5 Likes

I regularly send payments to a savings account with West Brom Building Society. It’s so painful with the amount of warnings that I’m being scammed (I’m not). They bank via Barclays and their account name flags as an issue even if you match it to their instructions. So many warnings for sending to another financial institution account.

4 Likes

Confirmation of Payee is a great idea but the implementation so far seems less than ideal. I don’t know how much of that is because of wearepay.uk requirements and how much is down to Monzo’s interpretation.

1 Like

In addition to lots of great ideas above and in other threads, I was wondering if it would be better having the Pay and Request button within each contact (each contact card being delightfully pretty of course)? At the moment if I request money from a non-Monzo contact it provides my Monzo.me link to then find the contact again via the share sheet, even though I’d already pressed the contact. Having Pay and Request within the contact card would be much better experience I think as it would pull contact details from the phone’s contacts (permission given) and shares the Monzo.me link directly.

Also, Frequent and Recent areas are annoying. Mine are always the name people/businesses more or less. This area could do with some love. Thanks!

3 Likes

Bring some some form of screen based running balance for the account. Other banks do it (at least, Coop and Nationwide) and Monzo used to have it (older version, the account balance at the top of the screen changed as you scrolled up or down through account entries.) but you took it away in a previous update/revamp/“improvement”.

There is a work around (produce a statement), but that is no substitute. And it is essential for people who periodically reconcile multiple bank accounts in an app like YNAB.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is in the scope of improving the payments tab

More options for notifications. I’ve turned notifications off as I don’t really want to be notified about a bill or standing order, but I do want to be notified about 3D secure, or if I’m close to limit, or high value transactions

For me options would be

• direct debit/standing order
  • incoming payments
  • in person card transactions
  • Online card transactions
  • 3D secure
  • transactions (other than regular direct debit or standing order) over a certain amount
  • declined transactions
2 Likes

Ack, sorry. I misread the OP :neutral_face:

1 Like

Great to see it (finally) getting some attention. Essentially proper editing is all I’m after:

• Ability to use a nickname alongside the CoP name
  • Ability to remove an old reference so it stops being the default
  • Ability to have multiple nicknamed references OR different payees with their own reference but a common sort code and account number
  • Ability to do FPS from pot (even if what it actually does is a pot withdrawal then makes the payment, like with DDs)
  • Pot to pot transfer (again even it what it actually does is pot-accout-pot
  • Edit scheduled pot transfers
  • Add scheduled pot transfer with 0 main account balance
1 Like

Ooh, I’d forgotten that! Also: payments directly into a pot. Maybe if you set the reference as £PotName it’ll transfer directly there after being received?

3 Likes

Thanks folks! Lots of great feedback, keep it coming. We’re definitely keeping an eye on it (even if we can’t respond to everything). :eyes:

I think we’re mostly on the same page; payees and payee management needs a bit (lot) of work and is probably where we’re gonna start (but that won’t be all). Sorry it’s been neglected for so long and hopefully we can finally at least get the basics right, as well as adding in some extra cool stuff.

Watch out for updates over the next few weeks and let us know how we’re doing! :pray:t5:

22 Likes

Thanks, @kavi. There’ll be no shortage of willing testers if you need a hand - or if you want to bounce off any mocks - I’m sure!

6 Likes

Here’s a few things I think would be nice improvements. I’m on Android and have tried to stick to the remit given in the OP.

Payments Screen

1. The “Recent” list should be horizontal like the “Frequent” list.
    This would have the additional benefit that it would be easier to see the “Add Payee” button.
  • NB: personally, I really like having both the “Frequent” list and the “Recent” list, but it would be interesting if there were individual Frequent and Recent lists in the Pay screen and the Request screen where the lists in Pay would show payees who you have recently and frequently paid, while the lists in request show payees who you have recently and frequently received money from.

Request Screen

1. There should be an option to share or copy bank details in the Request screen.

2. The “Nearby Friends” feature should be an option in the Request screen.
    My first instinct when I want to request from someone who is nearby is to click the big “Request” button and go from there instead of the small Nearby Friends button at the top of the Payments Screen.

3. Have the “Recent” list horizontally instead of vertically.

4. Include a horizontal “Frequent” list.

5. Consider putting the search icon in line with “All” (similar to what the “ADD PAYEE” button is on the Payments screen).
    I think it would be more noticeable than having it in the top right.

Pay screen

1. The “Nearby Friends” feature should be an option in the Pay screen (same reason as for having it in the Request screen).

2. Consider renaming “Pay by bank transfer” to “Pay a new payee by bank transfer” or similar.
    Pressing this option when I want to pay a previous payee has caught me out in the past (many times !).

3. Have the “Recent” list horizontally instead of vertically.

4. Include a horizontal “Frequent” list.

5. Consider putting the search icon in line with “All” (similar to what the “ADD PAYEE” button is on the Payments screen).
    I think it would be more noticeable than having it in the top right.

Scheduled screen

1. I think the “+” button should be replaced with a “Create new scheduled payment or standing order” button that appears at the bottom of the “Scheduled payments & standing orders” list.
    Currently, it looks a bit like you can create Direct Debit or Subscription by pressing it.

2. Pressing the “+” button to create a new scheduled payment or standing order current goes to the “Pay by bank transfer” section which can be confusing since you’d expect to be able to set up a scheduled payment or standing order to a previously-created payee.
    If you want to reuse screens, rather than making a bespoke screen reached through the button, I think it makes more sense for the “+” button to take you to the Pay screen (although, ideally without the “Pay by text or email” option).

Shared screen

• Seems good to me !

Payee Management

1. Payee nicknames.

2. Merging payees.

3. The ability to add additional accounts (and merge with) to Monzo payees that you haven’t paid via Monzo before.

4. Editing payee details.
    Editing nicknames especially - it can be easy to forget who some payees are from the account name.

5. Have payee nicknames appear in the Home feed.

6. Ability to see all transactions for a payee would also be useful, especially when attempting to identify who a payee is.

8 Likes

I am not too fussed either way about the current state, probably because I create so few payments and have the HSBC app to compare it with, which is not exactly deluxe

A couple of thoughts though

One small thing: it would be great to see a lot more (all?) of the sort codes gain an icon

One larger thing: I feel that the payments tab would benefit from a vertical list of accounts on clicking top left or holding down and dragging in the same way as the accounts tab. More consistent design language wise and easier to keep track of which account you are working with

2 Likes

It would certainly be handy if there was some form of privacy that could be added to this to hide visibility with certain numbers in your address book or to do the reverse and only whitelist people you would like to share it with…

6 Likes