Contactless over £30

If i want to use over £30 via apple pay at lidl/aldi, when i come to the checkout do i just say " I want to pay via card " or should i say " want to pay via apple pay " ?

I usually just say i’m paying by card or sometimes say nothing at all!

3 Likes

Just have you card, cash or phone ready and most cashier’s get the hint. Although it’s usually best to just say “Can I pay by card, please?” if you’re using your phone or watch as it’s not as obvious as a card or cash.

2 Likes

I prefer to just hold up my phone and wiggle my eyebrows.

8 Likes

Lol fair enough

It seems that the terminals which accept over £30 are usually silver, and the ones that don’t are black

That’s racist! :joy:

1 Like

Oh please, do expand - I’ve been waiting for this!

No offence intended, im asian myself lol

1 Like

This is the sorta information I’d quite like on transaction details for retailers. Along with website, contact numbers, social media, wether they offer cashback, contactless, device payments, limits, and so on.

I was probably more excited than I should be when I got to pay for my Ikea haul the other week with Monzo on my Apple Watch…

It really is fantastic though. Can’t wait until it’s the norm everywhere.

2 Likes

Quick question. Am i right in saying, if you go to a terminal which accepts Apple Pay over £30 ( Lidl or Aldi for example ) and you choose to pay with card, you can still pay contactless but would have to type in the pin code after ?

Thanks

Sometimes but this is quite rare in the UK not many merchants support it. Give it a try if it doesn’t work just insert your card and pay as normal

3 Likes

Nice one thanks mate :slight_smile:

Will try Lidl or Aldi next week to confirm they do accept Apple Pay over £30

1 Like

From the online news " Jennifer Bailey, the head of Apple’s payments business, said over half of contactless payment terminals in the UK are now able to take Apple Pay transactions of any value. Most card readers had previously been restricted to £30, the default upper limit for contactless card transactions. "

I just contacted Lidl and they weren’t very helpful, the lady didn’t even know what apple pay was lol.

1 Like

I’ve started having a small complaint with an employee now if they don’t explaining how its more secure and if they support contactless then there’s no reason they should have a limit on apple / android pay.

While shopping the other day though i discovered a shocking amount of stores just have contactless disabled completely. I think card companies should dictate that contactless must be accepted in order to use their network or something similar. Not sure how using contactless benefits them though so unlikely to happen.

3 Likes

Contactless seems to be beneficial in terms of fighting fraud by avoiding exposure of the card & PIN for small transactions, thus lowering the chance it gets skimmed.

Do you think we will ever get contactless only society ?

Maybe one day. It’s heading in that direction.

1 Like

According to Sainsburies on Twitter, they only accept up to £30