Contactless card crooks are cashing in thanks to 'double tap' trick

Not the best place for a targeted advertisement:

2 Likes

Seems like this has nothing to do with the banks, card, or their security/loopholes, but just retailers being silly and allowing customers to split purchases into multiple smaller ones.

1 Like

Something something SCA

But it’s the same as cheque guarantee cards, used to split that down to the limit. Any retailer with a bit of sense would see it was dodgy for contactless

Definitely a retailer issue and nothing to do with the banks.

1 Like

As soon as I saw it was a Mail Online “article” my eyes pretty much rolled out of my head.

6 Likes

I only saw it as it appeared on my Google news feed. I was more amused by the targeted advertising than the article.

1 Like

Surely this is a “non-story” though, because after £100 of contactless spending, the fraudster would have to enter the PIN anyway - whether that’s in 4x £25 transactions, or 2x £50 ones that are split down.

But yes, it’s the Faily Fail, so it holds about as much journalistic credibility as half a chocolate teapot.

1 Like

A loophole exploited by retailers, nothing to do with banks, will be neutered by SCA, and even without SCA has a trivially easy fix - where retailers are allowing someone to split pay like that, make them 100% liable if the transaction turns out to be fraudulent. Sorted.

1 Like

It looks like their “investigation” was pre-SCA.

I’d assume most banks, pre-SCA would have had a system that flagged use like this. It’s really not that much different from a thief using a stolen card contactlessly in several shops in quick succession. :man_shrugging: The only difference is they could potentially get something nicer in one shop - the amount lost to fraud is still the same.

1 Like

You’re welcome

3 Likes

I knew this was a Daily Heil article before I even opened the thread. The whole thing reeks of the utter terror that their core readership (65+) regard Paywave with.

McDonalds in the US used to decline a 2nd transaction right after the other, requiring the manager to override. Not sure if they still do this.

It was to prevent card fraud.