Connected Accounts: What next? (Summer 2022 edition)

Sainsbury’s Bank credit card doesn’t show pending payments in Monzo connected accounts. Not sure if that’s them or something with the connection?

1 Like

I just checked starling api pages they are definitely participating in openbanking, with the openbanking apis

So how come Revolut is the only connected accounts app that can show all three together: Monzo, Starling, and Revolut?

How come Starling is missing from Monzo?

It’s not. Emma, Money Dashboard, and Snoop (to give a few examples) can connect all three.

1 Like

All I want of for connected accounts not to break budgets.

Please let us set up budgets/spend alerts on tends…

Moneydashboard neo did not import EUR accounts.

Moneydashboard classic did EUR correctly, but flex outstanding balance is not exported over openbanking.

So I guess everything is useless to see net assets/liabilities. As nothing but Monzo has Flex, and Monzo doesn’t have starling. And Monzo doesn’t really calculate FX balances.

I suppose, but that’s not really within the scope of open banking.

So (nearly) last call. Gonna wrap up the polls in a week or so and take stock…

I’m currently paying for Plus membership as Monzo was my “canonical source of truth” for spending data. Since getting an Amex, I now have two sources that I have to reconcile, as the connected accounts feature is missing notes and CSV export.

I will most likely cancel my Plus membership and find another service which is dedicated to aggregating and annotating data across multiple financial institutions. This will also mean I engage with the Monzo app a lot less.

5 Likes

I’d really like a “Transfer” button on connected accounts. EG: I have Barclaycard connected and often pay using standard bank transfer. It would be awesome if I could link the payment details (or even better, Monzo could have the payment details stored) so I could quickly pay some money off my credit card.

(It’s made even more annoying that whatever account Barclaycard use doesn’t have the name validation working so I have to click through a bunch of warnings every time I pay a little extra on there)

4 Likes

Sort of like the reverse of the add money function? I like…

4 Likes

If it wanted to Monzo could as a 3rd party initiate a transfer between 2 current accounts at other banks. It’s within the scope of open banking and I’m aware of at least one other aggregator that has this functionality. **

I’m not sure if it’s possible for Monzo as a 3rd party to initiate payment from another current account to a credit card via open banking (what I think you are asking for). Perhaps someone else knows.

However it is possible for a credit card to pull money from a current account via open banking. Amex has this as a payment option for example.

** However I’m yet to be convinced this provides a better experience than just goin to the app of the sending bank and initiating the transfer from there.

1 Like

Honestly, not even that complicated. I mean sending money from my Monzo current account to the connected credit card. It’s no big problem, but just would be pretty slick.

1 Like

Ah ok, I thought you wanted something powered by open banking. Now I understand you just want a shortcut to a standard bank transfer.

1 Like

From my perspective, Search is the most important feature missing from Open Banking in the Monzo app. Being able to search transactions across all your accounts in one single search would be very useful.

There’s something else Monzo could do in Open Banking, and that’s to ensure their accounts can be viewed in the apps of other banks. Right now, I can’t see my Monzo account through any other banking app I have. Not sure whether this limitation is driven by Monzo or those other banks, though.

7 Likes

Which banks are they?

Monzo offers connections through the open banking standard and is present in all the big aggregators as well as (I think) NatWest Group apps.

3 Likes

Most also don’t offer Monzo and Starling which is annoying :neutral_face::sweat_smile:

Aren’t NatWest group the exception rather than the rule?

Most apps don’t support Monzo via open banking. Barclays for instance.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn’t aware of that. I have accounts with Lloyds and Halifax - and neither allows accounts with any of the fintech banks to be retrieved. They currently only support the following banks:

3 Likes

Very much one to lobby Lloyds on, I’m afraid. Perhaps they’ve made a strategic decision that the don’t want Monzo to appear to be a ‘real’ bank (which is it)?

1 Like