Confirmed Scam Text

Perhaps I’m overstating or oversimplifying yes. I’m certainly someone who does poke around at domains if I suspect spam. (So I’m not the hypothetical user I mention…)

That said, Gmail (currently #1 email client per some 2019 stats I found) does show domains, so it would be presented to a large user base.

At the very least though, having 4 domains at which Monzo can communicate to you, opens up possibility of confusing users, and that is something that scammers can use to target users.

1 Like

Yes we can submit takedown requests to the domain registrars and flag the sites as dangerous to Google. So please do keep letting us know if you see any :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi ronal,

I’m not sure what you are trying to say here?

1 Like

I don’t think Ronal does either

4 Likes

I think there’s so many scams for phone internet service providers banks building societies and other companies they will keep trying cause they know people have fallen for them at one point so they keep trying to get ore victims never answer anyone and always phone the number of your bank or service provider directly not any number the scam people want you to use

Just in case anyone else gets a similar text message:

Received this text a few weeks ago from someone purporting to be Monzo (when clicking on ‘info’, there is no number or any other information. For those not able to see the image, it says:

Your account has been flagged for suspicious activity. For security purposes you must urgently contact a member of our team on 03333355447

With the first text, I called Monzo via the number on the back of my card immediately. They confirmed that they don’t send out texts of this nature and were able to confirm that the last time they sent me a text was with a confirmation number for a transaction. The guy I spoke to took down the phone number from the text message and I also reported the number to Action Fraud (not that they’ll do anything). The same text message was received again today, albeit with a different number: 03333355127

Obviously, I don’t recommend that you do the following: Out of curiosity, I called the first phone number with my number withheld just to see who was at the other end of the line. It went straight through to hold music then an automated ‘Your call is important to us’ message, before connecting to an individual that sounded like I’d just woken him up. He didn’t give his name, didn’t mention Monzo (or any other bank/company name), just said, “And how may I help you today?”, so I gave a very vague explanation about how I received a text message on my phone (I literally said, “Yeah – so I got a text message from you”). At first, he sounded very confused, but then the very next thing he asked me for was my account number and sort code ‘so I can put it through my system’. Hung up and blocked the number.

2 Likes

lol perhaps the Monzo forum should spam this number having set caller ID to withhold :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

the 447 is no longer in service and I left a message on the 127 number :slight_smile:

Worlds worst scammer… He could have at least put some effort in to sound convincing! People have no commitment these days…

(obvious /s just in case…)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.