Confirmation of Payee

Will Monzo be signing up for this?

Seems really good for combating fraud. it verifies bank details and mane matches with the recipient bank, if they’re signed up, most major UK banks are

2 Likes

It’s already in the app code - it just needs to be switched on at the server-end. Any time now…

8 Likes

Fantastic, quick reply.

Thank you

1 Like

Like @davidwalton says, they’re ready - indeed, I think they’ve been ready for the better part of a year - they piloted it with Santander and Starling, I think, and have been quite frustrated at the slow pace of some of the bigger banks.

4 Likes

Hi I need to send money to an account in Brasil, I check here and for international transfer I can use transferwise, how do do? What is a payee name? Can somebody help?

Thanks

Do you not know who you are transferring money to?

Payee is the name of the person you are paying

1 Like

Thanks!
So if I decide to transfer as a international transfer, does monzo direct me to the transferwise, it is the same if I go to the transferwise app? So can I do it by monzo app.

Thanks

You can do either. The advantage of using the Transferwise app (or website) is that if you need to send more money to the same person, you don’t need to input the details again.

Using the Monzo app, means you never have to leave Monzo to complete the transfer.

Natwest have just emailed me to say this is now live in their most recent app and online services. Presumably most RBS services will also get it shortly.

The Which? website shows that Monzo will turn CoP/Payee in July 2020. Here’s the link for more background:
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03/confirmation-of-payee-which-banks-are-ready-to-offer-vital-name-checking-service/

I’d be interested to know why Monzo haven’t signed up to the voluntary Authorised Push Payment Scam Code. Monzo looks like bit of an outlier; It seems like the right thing to do by customers…

1 Like

CoP has now been delayed due to the coronavirus.

The rollout will now be complete by 30th June 2020.

It’s mentioned at the end of this article.

1 Like

:tada:

7 Likes

Some people might ask their bank to keep their data anonymous, so we can’t always confirm everyone’s details

Curious as to whether Monzo supports this opt-out for your own account.

1 Like

We’ve just been discussing this in the Community Slack.
There seems to be a lack of privacy here.

In my opinion, it is not necessary for a user to see the name on someones account.
Surely it would be better just to say whether it was an exact match, partial match (ex: Stephen vs Steven, Sam vs Samuel), or no match.

Surely exposé of data here would result in a higher opt-out rate?

3 Likes

Can’t find the link right now, but Monzo haven’t signed up because they’re unhappy that the cost burden is being applied in an unfair way, meaning that they will be paying for fraud suffered by other banks. They believe this doesn’t incentivise the banks with higher fraud levels to reduce their fraud, as well as penalising banks with low fraud levels by making them pay more.

They have, however, said they will eventually sign up, and that in the meantime they will honour the spirit of the code.

7 Likes

It should’ve been designed like social network “friends” are, on an approval basis. When you try to look someone up it sends them a notification with your details (seems reasonable to disclose this considering you initiated the request) and an approve/decline button where they can decide whether they want to reveal their details or not. Most likely the reason this hasn’t been done is because the legacy banks would need insane engineering efforts to integrate such a real-time, two-way system.

3 Likes

Been using CoP for couple of months now and been working really well so great to see monzo switch it on. Do you have any dates for turn on?

At the moment when you try and use the service it’s returning unable to complete

1 Like

“We’ll be rolling it out over the next few days to Monzo customers.”

6 Likes

With Confirmation of Payee, we can warn you if the person you think you’re paying has a different name on their account (and could be a fraudster).

Some people might ask their bank to keep their data anonymous, so we can’t always confirm everyone’s details. If this is the case we’ll tell you that the person you’re paying has chosen not to be checked. We won’t be able to tell you if the details match.

So tl;dr this won’t prevent much fraud because the scammers they were trying to stop will just opt-out.

On the other hand for personal payments this will be good for peace of mind because I always worry that I have account numbers wrong and that I’m paying the wrong person.

5 Likes

How does confirmation work for a joint account? Does it just look for either name on the account? Or do you have to enter both names?

2 Likes